RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2004

Radius Cantilever vs. Tektro Oryx

I'd like to get some opinions on these 2 brakes before I purchase 1 of them. Price is around the same . But which one is lighter and works better in wet muddy conditions? Does one squeek more than the other?
    Let me know what you think and THANK YOU in advance
    SixaCross

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2002

The Tektro's

seems quite nice at less than $20 per wheel.I put some on the wifes bike and they went on nice and seem like a great value.Haven't tried the others.

Dan

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2004

Radius

Has anyone out there used these brakes????? Are they light ?? Do they have good stopping power??(RADIUS from Cyclocrossworld.com)
    SixaCross

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by L8ON:The Cross Guy
    Has anyone out there used these brakes????? Are they light ?? Do they have good stopping power??(RADIUS from Cyclocrossworld.com)
    If you haven't, check the archives. If I recall, they did not get good reviews.

Get me to In&Out
    I was considering them, but after reading the reviews here (use search function), I steered clear. One review said the were more to be considered a slower downer than a stopper. I picked up a set of Avid Shorty 4's for the same price on ebay.
    Cyclists really need to learn a little Rule #5.

More Cowbell!
    I used the Radius brakes for a couple years (and one racing season). They have great mud clearance, are a snap to set up and will last forever. However, they don't stop too well. If you fiddle with pad composition, you can get them to perform okay -- not what I would call "well."

I've recently traded my under-performing Radius brakes in for a sweet set of Avid Tri-Aligns (circa 1996). Hoo-boy, I like those brakes. Got them on Ebay but don't see any set up for sale now.
    Pro rep, yo!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2004

radius

I got the radius on one bike and tried several others on my other bikes.
    The radius are giving me less chatter (stiffer?) than all the others. Need to start changing around to double check this.

I'd like to get some opinions on these 2 brakes before I purchase 1 of them. Price is around the same . But which one is lighter and works better in wet muddy conditions? Does one squeek more than the other?
    Let me know what you think and THANK YOU in advance

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2002
    Yep, used Radius brakes this season. Just like everyone else said, it barely works for slowing down but that's about it. Before I go out and buy another set of brakes, I'm going to try Sheldon Brown's idea and use Kool Stop salmon colored pads.
    But, if I were buying brakes for the first time, go with Pauls, Empellas or Spookys. Light weight is one thing but don't skimp on the brakes...might end up doing a George of Jungle routine (which I have done before)!