RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2006

Salsa Chili Con Crosso Vs Specialized Crux Comp

I'm finally breaking down and buying a cross bike. Our club is very involved with cross riding and racing. Our club has a very close relationship with a bike shop who gives us some good deals. So when I went in the shop owner offered me the same price on a 2011 Specialized Crux Comp or a 2012 Salsa Chili Con Crosso.

The fit on both was good. Ignore the fact that the Salsa is a 1x10. I already talked to the shop owner about putting another ring on it to make it a double. Spec between the two bikes is pretty similar with the exception that the Salsa has a SRAM rival RD.

The Salsa felt a little lighter to me. The shop owner said it was about a pound lighter.

Any thoughts one way or the other?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    I have been thinking about these two frames for next season. I have a Santa Cruz Stigmata and I do not like the tire clearence...

The Chili can be run SS... I am sure the Specialized will be lighter.. I am just talking about the frames. I think the Chili full build has better parts than the comp no? Rival vs Apex on the specialized....

warrrrrrrgh!!!
    I think the salsa has better cache, at least compared to a specialized. I haven't ridden either bike.
    I hate you all

j/k lol kthxbye!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    I've also been eyeing these two frames. They're relatively the same price.

I am leaning towards the Specialized because the geometry fits my build more.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    If you actually plan to race the fact that it's 1x10 isn't a bad thing, 42x11 is plenty of gear and no front shifting is actually pretty nice. But the CruX with 46/36 11-32 is just a ton of range if you plan to do a lot touring-type riding. If you go the other direction and want to run a CruX 1x10 your options are pretty limited because of the squared seat tube and BB30. Your only options are pretty much double guards or a guard with a K-Edge braze on. The CruX can also be ran SS with an EBB30 from BEER (I have one on my CruX and it's awesome).

The CruX has the fork mounted brake hanger which really elimates chatter. IMO the brakes on both bikes are junk and would be replaced with Shorty Ultimates or CX8.4s immedately. As far as Rival vs Apex it's a wash; they're the same thing. I think the wheels on the CruX are a little nicer, assuming you don't already have some tubbies to run.

I don't really think you can go wrong with either bike. If the fit is good on both, go with whichever you prefer aestheticlly. Personally, I chose the CruX frameset for custom builds(twice)
    2012 Specialized CruX SS
    2011 Specialized CruX
    2012 Niner Air 9 SS

http://htfuaaron.blogspot.com/