RoadBikeReview Member

Sand, sand, oh the sand.

so i am training for a bike race in august, or a least logging the miles. the race is a mountain bike race that's 48 miles and from everything i have read and heard the course is very doable on a cyclocross bike. there is one issue the race is by lake superior in the UP which means sand and lots of it. which works out well because at home i am surrounded by sand so great traing grounds. i am currently running hutchison bulldogs and i have no issue with them other then getting them on and off is a pain, this enough i dont want to run them all summer because i want to change over between offroad tires and road slick fairly easily . the question is does any one have a tire that they have found works well in sand? i have looked a ritchey speedmax's but to be honest i am not real sure what i should be looking for.

also if anyone has any ideas on making it easier to get the bulldog's on and off i would love to hear them .
    This is gunna be interesting
    Quote Originally Posted by BentChainring
    "Friendo, I have learned one thing in acquiring wisdom. Its heavy, and it makes my back hurt. Please pass the pitcher!"

McTacopants
    Feb 2011
    Speedmax are good tires for this purpose. Sand is more about technique than equipment. Assuming you don't know this - lean back on your saddle, loose hands, let your front tire go where it wants, big gear, power, power, power, sing "hold on loosely" by 38 Special and you should be all set.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Hi, I get to play in the sand a lot down here in Florida and what I have learned is size matters! The bigger the tire and the lower the pressure the better. Tread does not seem to matter much, just a big soft tire is what works best.

When I'm in the mood to slog through thick soft sand my bike of choice is an old ridged MTB with 2.2 tires running about 15 PSI. Works great in thick sand but is very slow on pavement or hard pack so if you have a mix you will want to run less tire and more air.

Good luck in your race, Axlenut

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    Ore 2 Shore?

The race is always won on a mountain bike, so you're probably better off riding one. As far as tires, you should get something wide with paddle like tread. Wider is better.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yes it is the ore to shore. I know will be won by a mountain bike and I won't be any where near that no matter what I am riding. I also know I would be better off riding on a mountain bike in a mountain bike race but it isn't really an option the redline I own is my only bike. I will look into the speedmax's more and look at the larger mud style tires. Thanks for all the advice it is much appreciated.
    "Friendo, I have learned one thing in acquiring wisdom. Its heavy, and it makes my back hurt. Please pass the pitcher!"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2006
    If you can fit some Specialized Borough 42mm or 45mm tires on the Redline, I'd go that route.

Maybe some of the skinny Bontrager MTB tires? Like the 1.8 XDX or the XR1 tires. Then you'd get a bit of tread at least.

The sand up there will simply swallow a regular sized CX tire if it's dry.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Corndog View Post
    If you can fit some Specialized Borough 42mm or 45mm tires on the Redline, I'd go that route.

Maybe some of the skinny Bontrager MTB tires? Like the 1.8 XDX or the XR1 tires. Then you'd get a bit of tread at least.

Watch out with the XR1s in sand. I had some real trouble with those in AZ washing out unexpectedly. But then, I was on a MTB instead of a CX.

acanfield
    Great post. I'm thinking about running a cross bike for a 6-hour cross-country race in NW Florida (6/12 Hours of Pine Log).

I've run hardtail and full-suspension 26er's and 29er's in this race. It's time to go full rigid and see if I can survive 9 laps and 72 miles.

RoadBikeReview Member
    so i am looking at the bontrager XDX 29er and that seem to fit the bill the best 1.75in (45c) and mixed condition tread pattern. is there anything that i should be wary of, rim width ect. ?

m_s
    oh lonesome road for you
    Quote Originally Posted by tetter View Post
    so i am looking at the bontrager XDX 29er and that seem to fit the bill the best 1.75in (45c) and mixed condition tread pattern. is there anything that i should be wary of, rim width ect. ?
    Most cross frames won't clear those tires.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2006
    If the XDX will fit your frame, that's about the best you can do.

Pray the trail has some moisture on it.

More Cowbell!
    Quote Originally Posted by tetter View Post
    You might have to snip the side knobs.

I think a higher volume tire with side knobs snipped is better than finding the biggest non-modified tires you can fit in there. The benefit of bigger volume is that the tire flattens out (if you run lower pressure) at the contact patch and then remains skinny enough to clear your stays.

Google "monstercross" I think you might find some hints for making big tires work.
    Pro rep, yo!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Corndog View Post

I agree, I would run the Specialized Borough XC Sport Tire 45mm if you can fit it. I run that on my BMC CX01 but you might not have the clearance. Great tire by the way.
    San Antonio, Texas

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008

Ore to Shore Sand

I've done the Ore to Shore a few times. Although a Cx bike would be really fast on the road section. There are also a lot of rocks and deep sand. I would recomend against a Cx bike. If you do ride your Cx bring a patch kit and three or four tubes. A 29er hardtails is perfect for that course.

I'm interesting.
    My own experience riding in sand agrees with the posters that say run a tire as wide and low pressure as you can go. I also agree with the advice to keep more weight over the rear tire.

Good luck.

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
    When is the O2S?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    I've always had better luck with a low gear and high cadence in sand. Smooth power delivery is important, IME - once your rear tire breaks loose, it's pretty hard to get things working again.