RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

School a cross-newb about tire selection

So these tire have, like bumbs on them and stuff, right?

I imagine I'll be riding rocky dirt roads, some muddy parts. No sand where i live.

Do you switch out tires for different conditions? Or have a general purpose tire that goes anywhere?

Also tire width?

Thanks

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Speed_Metal View Post
    Do you switch out tires for different conditions?
    Yes
    Or have a general purpose tire that goes anywhere?
    Yes
    Also tire width?
    Yes
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    Are you asking about racing or JRA?

CX'er
    So these tire have, like bumbs on them and stuff, right?

I imagine I'll be riding rocky dirt roads, some muddy parts. No sand where i live.

Do you switch out tires for different conditions? Or have a general purpose tire that goes anywhere?

Also tire width?

Thanks
    Look into gravel tires for that type of riding, there have been a few recent threads about it; here's one about tubeless specific tires.
    Tubeless Gravel tire 38mm

Bumps are called tread blocks, the pattern/layout is called a tread pattern. It's often just called tread, sometimes tread type (semi-slick, mud tire, all-round tire, etc.).

Some people pick one tire and ride it for all cross or gravel races, usually because they don't want to deal with tire changes or having multiple wheelsets or both. Some people have a quiver of wheel choices. For what you're asking, someone might have a gravel wheelset and a CX wheelset, especially if using tubeless for gravel and tubular for CX.

Width is a big deal. Generally, wider is considered better for riding comfortably on gravel but many rides/races have a mix and then the wider tire with bigger knobs, assuming it's not just a wide slick (great option for gravel BTW), can be less ideal on the pavement. Hardpack gravel tends to see a lot more "wide road tires" than loose stuff.

It's all about what compromises you want to take. I usually go for a smooth tread and limited knobs (unless it's wet) and just take it easy in corners. A lot of my tire selection is based on the gravel percentage in the ride or race; 50% or under usually gets a road tire and 80% and over gets a wider gravel tire for the gravel type of the course. Something in between often gets something like a semi-slick CX tire.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    no racing
    jra
    i suppose i'll go with what the local shop recommends for the area.
    although i really don't want them to know i DIDN'T buy ANOTHER bicycle from them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2006
    JRA, I really like the Specialized Trigger in 33mm or even the 38mm. Tubeless, light, roll great, OK cornering knobs.

They are fine for light trail riding, perfect for gravel, and roll really well on pavement.

The Tracer is good too.

Hard to bead a good file tread with side knobs.

Michelin Mud2 is good as well if you don't want to worry with tubeless. Kenda Small Block 8 in 35mm too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    no racing
    jra
    i suppose i'll go with what the local shop recommends for the area.
    although i really don't want them to know i DIDN'T buy ANOTHER bicycle from them.
    I run Schwalbe Marathon Mondial touring tires on my cross bike for all around riding. They roll nice on pavement and have good grip on gravel and dirt, although not really great in mud. I like the long tread wear (over 6K miles so far) and puncture resistance, only one so far due to a finishing nail in the sidewall:
    https://youtu.be/zPZ2hyNC2Gs?list=PL...QpEg4GcHZaE7Ub