RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008

Shimano CX70 Fr. Der. - compatible w/ Campy Ergo

Does anyone know if the Shimano FD-CX70 Front Derailleur is compatible with the Campy Ergo (left front shifter)?

Product

I am assuming that it is since there is some trim in the shift.

I am looking for the lowest profile front double derailleur that will work. My rear wheel (on a Canonndale Cyclocross 5 CAAD9) with a 35 tire leaves very little room for the derailed to be mounted and seems like it will be a mud catcher.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005
    yes, i've used that setup for 10 months now. the action is extra stiff with a 2009 centaur ergo but the shifts are precise with no issues while racing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by roseyscot View Post
    yes, i've used that setup for 10 months now. the action is extra stiff with a 2009 centaur ergo but the shifts are precise with no issues while racing.
    Thanks-

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    Just bought the CX70 fr derailleur - Jenson price matched Nashbar's $51.99 price: Shimano CX70 CX Front Derailleur > Components > Drivetrain > Front Derailleurs | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

and shipping was free.

Also pulled the trigger on the CX70 brakes: Shimano CX70 Canti Brake > Components > Brakes > Cantilever Brakes | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

Still considering the solid CX50 cranks (vs the hollow CX70s)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    I have an ancient Sachs (re-branded Campy) 8 sp pair of Ergos that I plan to use: velospace bike forums - Determining what speed these are? with a 8 sp Shimano cassette (both 4.8 mm spacing). Shimano brifters, in my experience don't last very long, can't be re-built easily, and don't survive crashes well. The Campy Ergos are seemingly trouble free. I have a stock bike with all Campy Veloce and 9sp Ergos; and a drop-bar "mostercross" MTB with 8sp Ergos on a 7speed Shimano cassette (both 5mm spacing) which shifts great.

See Sheldon Brown's Cassette Spacing Cribsheet:
    Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Frame and Cassette Spacing Crib Sheet

Shimano 7-speed: 5.0 mm
    Shimano 8-speed: 4.8 mm
    Campagnolo 8-speed: 5.0 mm
    Sachs 1997 8-speed: 5.0 mm
    Sachs 1998+ 8-speed: 4.8 mm

why all shimano with campy ergos? it is a common solution to upgrading older bikes (shimano 8spd w/ campy 10 ergos) but isnt a common choice for new builds. campy 11 ergos controlling shimano 9spd would likely be a great cross setup if that is what you have planned. cheap chains and cassettes plus better ergonomics.

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik_A View Post
    Just bought the CX70 fr derailleur - Jenson price matched Nashbar's $51.99 price: Shimano CX70 CX Front Derailleur > Components > Drivetrain > Front Derailleurs | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

and shipping was free.

Also pulled the trigger on the CX70 brakes: Shimano CX70 Canti Brake > Components > Brakes > Cantilever Brakes | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

Still considering the solid CX50 cranks (vs the hollow CX70s)
    Thanks for posting the heads up on this. I have been wanting to get rid of my pully thing for a while. Going with a top pull CX70. Hoping for an improvement in front shifting.