Masters Neophyte

So current crop of disc CX bikes now out of date?

Many manufacturers released their first round of CX bikes with disc brakes this year.
    Now with SRAM's official announcement of hydraulic discs, and presumably Shimano's forthcoming, does that remand these bikes to the veritable "slag-heap"?
    Or at least knock off a helluva lot of value?

Alternately, maybe now is a good time to buy a discounted disc frame, with the intention of building it up w/ hydraulics?
    Capt Willard: "Every minute I stay in this room, I get weaker, and every minute Charlie squats in the bush, he gets stronger."

Iohannes fac totum
    Mar 2008
    Should be a managable conversion to hydro's.

Cranky Old Bastard
    Quote Originally Posted by RRRoubaix View Post
    does that remand these bikes to the veritable "slag-heap"? Or at least knock off a helluva lot of value?
    I think you're a little quick with the tombstone there, RRR.

I don't think it will change anything.

The new hydraulic systems will be high-end expensive and the braking won't be twice as good. Better and lighter yeah, but not worlds apart. Not throw-away-your-mechanical-brakes good.

And all the current bikes are easily upgradable just like any other bike.

I'm waiting for the TRP dual-piston mechanical calipers due out this summer. Those will change one thing: Avid will have to improve their BBs or they'll lose their dominance in the segment.
    "When you know absolutely nothing, anyone who knows 1% more than nothing sounds like an expert."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    Almost all disc equipped cross frames that are out have external wiring: your common braze-on or otherwise attached mounts that use clips or tie wraps for the wires. These are universal and will work with both. Even internal routing, if too small for hydro lines, can work if you get the new TRP Hy/rd calipers (not out yet) that combine cables with a caliper-mounted hydraulic cylinders.

Masters Neophyte
    I get that all the new CX disc frames are easily upgradeable, it's just the timing that bothers me. SO many mfrs came out w/ disc frames this year and BAM! Less than 12 months later, hydro road discs are a reality.
    For instance, I almost "pulled the trigger" on the new Hakkalugi Disc a few months back. Rather glad I didn't, now that mechanical disc tech is a blip on the road to progress.
    (Nothing wrong w/ it, but this way I can skip the upgrade step).

I get tired of getting burned when I'm an "early adopter"- I guess I'm just congratulating myself for procrastinating, heh!
    Capt Willard: "Every minute I stay in this room, I get weaker, and every minute Charlie squats in the bush, he gets stronger."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2012

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    This isn't any different than any other product in the country. Name a product and you'll find a lot of people who got "burned".

Token Sprinter
    I still use mechanical disks on my mountain bike and would still elect to use them on a cross bike if I had the chance. There is still a place in the market for them as they are cheaper, don't need to be bled, and BB7's are plenty strong enough.
    Amassing Miles - My Little Cycling Blog

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    I don't think that the release of hydro brakes render mech disc cross bikes obsolete. In the mountain bike world, many riders continue to buy and build bikes with mech disc brakes by choice.

I have mech disc Crux setup and love it.

Not Banned
    those mech activated hydros (with the reservoir @ the brake) I bet will proliferate in cx and MTB
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by atpjunkie View Post
    those mech activated hydros (with the reservoir @ the brake) I bet will proliferate in cx and MTB
    So far only compatible w drop bar levers, but flat bar lever throw might be avail if there's demand. With so little hydro fluid in that design, would overheating be a problem w mountain applications?

RoadBikeReview Member
    I can't ever imagine going back to mechanical discs on my mountain bike. Ever.

And with the way prices are going, there is no need to. My son busted a lever on his bike, I snagged a brand new takeoff set of Shimano calipers and levers for under $60 shipped. Radial pistons, no less. For that price, you'll only need to buy the TRP or a set of SRAM Force hydro levers.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mudrock View Post
    So far only compatible w drop bar levers, but flat bar lever throw might be avail if there's demand. With so little hydro fluid in that design, would overheating be a problem w mountain applications?
    Not according to TRP's testing.
    Tis the season for all of us not hard enough to play to belittle those not hard enough to win. We are a funny lot. - dave @ November Bicycles

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    Depends on your definition of "Out of Date". Is it the lastest in technology, no. Is it still a viable option, able to find replacement parts, do very low end bikes still have Not-as-good equipment? If yes, probably not "out-of-date".