RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006

Specialized Tricross Comp Triple, opinions? alternatives?

I've have a road and mountain bikes, now looking to get something in the middle. I've been looking at the Specialized Tricross Comp Triple. Anyone have any experience, opinion, alternatives to thei cross bike? Any preference to a double vs. a triple?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    Oh man, where to start. This question is just wide open. There are TONS of great 'cross bikes out there - are you looking for a 'cross racing bike or a do-it-all bike with panniers and the like or what?

Do you want to buy a complete bike or would you rather build up?

Lots of options in double vs. triple... preference is personal, but what is best for you probably depends on what you want to do with the bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    Yeah, I've seen the all the pics in the "Post your cross bike" thread and there are tons of options. Didn't want to be so wide open, so the Specialized Tricross was an attempt to narrow the field. Guess it didn't work.

So what am I looking for? hmm... I would say, more towards the cross racing bike side. Not really looking for a pannier, touring, or commuting style bike.

I plan (hopefully) to use it on trails I've used my mtn bike on (where it's technically appropriate), the road, and every where in between.

In terms chainrings, I'm leaning towards a double, especially since I'm running a double on my mtn bike after replacing the big ring with a bashgaurd and it's worked so far.

At this point, I think a complete bike is better financially, and upgrade as needed. I'd be happy to stay <$2K if I can. I've thought about piecing it together, but the costs was getting close to the $3K mark.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    I just put together a full SRAM Rival on a Soma Doublecross frame for about $1500 - so you don't have to hit the $3k mark if you don't want to. But the doublecross is more the commuting / touring / everything type of frame than a race bike (although it is light enough to maybe do that as well).

I prefer a double. And for true cross racing you will probably want something about a 36-38x46-48. If you want a bit more range (probably a good idea for an all around bike), a regular compact front (34x50) will work just fine (and that is what I picked). Lots of folks run single front ring in the 42 teeth range as well.

Bianchi makes a good one (and they have Campy options). Redline is probably one of the top value bikes in true racing bikes. Jamis has a couple of good options as well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2007
    I was looking at the Tricross myself (although the Sport, I'm not sold on 10 speed). It's more of a do-everything bike than a pure racer (heck, the S-Works version has rackmounts on a carbon frame)