RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010

Specy Crux, Redline Conquest Pro or Ridley Xbow

I'm looking for my first cross frame and I'm looking at these three framesets. Pricewise they are all about the same. Crux is $600 from my LBS, Redline Pro is $549 from plus shipping and the Ridley is $625 plus shipping. I kinda like the fact that the redline is BB30, I like the the Ridley is a bit different, and I like that the Crux can be purchased at my LBS that I have a good relationship with. Any opinions?

I plan to give cross racing a try next season but I live in Socal and I think the racing is pretty limited. I will be equipping the bike with an Ultegra Groupo I have along with some Easton Vistas.
    Last edited by sdstumpy; 04-06-2011 at 06:53 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Since price is basically a wash, which geometry makes the most sense for you and your conditions? The Ridley has the traditional euro high BB, which is great for ground clearance, but can make the bike feel tippy and nervous in tight corners at speed. The Redline and Crux are more of a US geometry, lower BB height that helps them corner well. At least in the States, alot of folks are moving towards a 70mm BB drop (low) that improves cornering and lowers the rider's center of gravity. The Redline and Crux both have 70mm BB drops. The Ridley is the different animal in that bunch.

I'd probably opt for the Crux or Redline, but I like that more road bike feel and it suits the courses around here.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by krisdrum
    Since price is basically a wash, which geometry makes the most sense for you and your conditions? The Ridley has the traditional euro high BB, which is great for ground clearance, but can make the bike feel tippy and nervous in tight corners at speed. The Redline and Crux are more of a US geometry, lower BB height that helps them corner well. At least in the States, alot of folks are moving towards a 70mm BB drop (low) that improves cornering and lowers the rider's center of gravity. The Redline and Crux both have 70mm BB drops. The Ridley is the different animal in that bunch.

I'd probably opt for the Crux or Redline, but I like that more road bike feel and it suits the courses around here.
    Thanks for the help. Just ordered the Crux. I wanted to support my LBS. I ride a tarmac so it makes sense to get another Specy.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    Check out http://socalcross.org/ for info on racing cross in Socal. It is a huge racing scene! Last year had 20+ races.
    Custom Team Kits available @ VCRC!! Check it out today! http://www.vcrcbike.com/