Witty custom user title

SSCX - sure, I need one.

So I've decided that I want to add a single speed CX rig to the stable next season, but to be honest - I'm lazy. I know I could buy a frame and go from there but I'm kind of hunting for something already built and ready. I've looked at the All-City Nature Boy and one or two others, but I know that there are plenty more out there that I am not aware of.

I'd really like to keep it on the cheap - I've been scowering the Bay and Craigslist, but nothing is coming up. I think people build these and hang on to them. Anyway, does anyone have any recommendations for other manufacturers to look at? Really, less than a G would be ideal....

Iohannes fac totum
    Mar 2008
    Raleigh Furley (has discs though)

Traitor bikes has one I think.

m_s
    oh lonesome road for you
    Bianchi San Jose is often super cheap, especially used. Or volpe and strip the geared parts (horizontal drops). Same with crosscheck.

Though if I was buying a new frame or complete I'd probably get the All-City to be honest. Just because it looks so good. Yes, I'm shallow.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by E 12 View Post
    So I've decided that I want to add a single speed CX rig to the stable next season, but to be honest - I'm lazy.... I'd really like to keep it on the cheap - .
    Put your current bike in a gear you like. Don't shift. Perfect single speed for the cheap and lazy...

dcv
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2002
    check out bikes direct - motobecane fantom cross uno
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SSCX - sure, I need one.-img_20110924_132832.jpg  

Witty custom user title
    I've looked at Vassago and Traitor as well....very nice, but likely $$$ when all is said and done. If I could make it under $1000 built, I'd be pretty happy. The All-City is currently the club house leader.....really not a fan of the Motos, but thanks for the suggestion!

Lurker Extrordinair
    Masi has a nice SS steel framed bike that is less than $1000. complete. I think its called the SS Uno, check it out.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    If you don't mind an alum frame I was looking at the felt breed. I know last summer when I was looking you could find them in the 500-600 range on ebay but I think the 2012's are priced a little above 1k retail. Still a light bike with 7000 series aluminum that you could race on if you wanted.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 88 rex View Post
    Raleigh Furley (has discs though)

Traitor bikes has one I think.
    Digging the Furley!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2006

All City

/Users/Matt/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Modified/2011/Dec 22, 2011/IMG_0051_2.jpg

m_s
    oh lonesome road for you
    Yes the Masi is nice too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by E 12 View Post
    I've looked at Vassago and Traitor as well....very nice, but likely $$$ when all is said and done. If I could make it under $1000 built, I'd be pretty happy. The All-City is currently the club house leader.....really not a fan of the Motos, but thanks for the suggestion!
    Based on your avatar, I'm assuming your in my area - there was a AC Nature Boy on CL a month ago. Not sure what size you need but IIRC it was a 53 top tube (size 49).

Bike Enthusiast
    Apr 2011
    I really like the Felt Breed Single Speed Cross bike.
    2013 Specialized Allez Compact
    2014 Specialized Hard Rock Sport Disc 29
    2012 Specialized Crux Skittles
    2013 Fuji Finest 1.1C (Wife's)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG View Post
    Digging the Furley!

ditto... want to see it in person before buying though.

Gangster of Love
    Feb 2012

CX Newbie, help needed

Gents, hate to hack a thread but I'm new here and loaded with questions. I just found a few Cross races here in Louisiana that I'd like to try next year. I want to build a SS Cross bike on the cheap. Could I use the Nashbar Nekkid SS road frame with a CX fork or would I need a CX specific frame. Also, do you use regular road wheels with beefier tires?
    I know these should be common sense questions but I've been stuck in the Tri world for 20 years so the CX side is all new to me.
    Any help is appreciated.
    Trav

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by kritra View Post
    Gents, hate to hack a thread but I'm new here and loaded with questions. I just found a few Cross races here in Louisiana that I'd like to try next year. I want to build a SS Cross bike on the cheap. Could I use the Nashbar Nekkid SS road frame with a CX fork or would I need a CX specific frame. Also, do you use regular road wheels with beefier tires?
    I know these should be common sense questions but I've been stuck in the Tri world for 20 years so the CX side is all new to me.
    Any help is appreciated.
    Trav
    Brake clearance is the issue with that frame. You wouldn't be able to run cross tires and have any clearance for mud if you are even able to run cross tires on it at all. Best singlespeed-able CX frames are the Surly Cross Check, or All-city nature boy IMO.

Gangster of Love
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dankilling View Post
    Brake clearance is the issue with that frame. You wouldn't be able to run cross tires and have any clearance for mud if you are even able to run cross tires on it at all. Best singlespeed-able CX frames are the Surly Cross Check, or All-city nature boy IMO.
    Hey Dan, thanks for the reply. Since I posted I've done a little more research and realized the error of my ways.
    I really like the Felt Breed but right now just a little too much coinage.
    Thanks Again

trav

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by kritra View Post
    Hey Dan, thanks for the reply. Since I posted I've done a little more research and realized the error of my ways.
    I really like the Felt Breed but right now just a little too much coinage.
    Thanks Again

trav
    Bang for the buck, the Breed is a good deal, but if you are looking for a complete for a bit less coin, consider the All-City Nature Boy (~800 retail- from any QBP dealer) complete or look for a Masi CX SS (~950 retail- any Haro BMX dealer can get them, its the same parent company)

I personally went with a Traitor Crusade SS frameset and built it up, but that came out to around $1800 when it was all said and done. There are few things in this world as pure as singlespeed cross. Do it!!!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    How about the singlespeed now?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Don't know if a decision has been made, but I've been very impressed with the ride, geometry, and overall quality of the Nature Boy. I guess that's pretty obvious from all my posts...

Los
    "My pit bike is a six-pack."
    -Hodala CX

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2008
    I don't know if you can get them in the US but the Genesis Day One cross is a nice bike. They are releasing a disc braked version soon as well.
    Master of my own velocity.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012
    i need to take a pic of my "ss cross" bike. its an old schwinn sprint frame- with old school mafac racer brakes. has clearance for 2" tires- normally run it with 32's fixed for commuting. less than $400 in it. its not the lightest thing in the world at 21 lbs, but its fun.

cables run over the top tube, not too bad to shoulder, might try my hands at cross this fall after mtb season.
    Last edited by droptop; 03-03-2012 at 08:17 AM.

Witty custom user title
    Quote Originally Posted by SaddleBags View Post
    Based on your avatar, I'm assuming your in my area - there was a AC Nature Boy on CL a month ago. Not sure what size you need but IIRC it was a 53 top tube (size 49).
    And this is the one I ended up with. The guy rode it maybe twice. I flipped a few components around and ended up with a really nice SSCX rig I think. For $500, I'm not complaining one bit. I'll get a picture of it if the f$@#* rain ever stops.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011
    furley makes a sweet commuter/do it all

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    surlybikes.com
    Surly Now offers a crosscheck set up single speed. If you want drops spend twenty extra bucks and swap them out! and if you want drop levers up it to 50.

Totally worth it.