RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013

SuperX Ballistec Carbon vs. CAADX Optimized 6061 Alloy

I'm about to purchase my first cyclocross bike and I have a dilemma. There's a great deal on a SuperX Carbon Rival or I can go with the CAADX Disc Ultegra. The SuperX is great because its all carbon, with speed save stays, but it doesn't have disc breaks and uses the lower qualit SRAM Rival system. The CAADX has all the components I want, especially if I get the 2014 with the new 11 speed Shinamo 6800. The CAADX has disc breaks, a carbon fork an a carbon/alloy mix save stay. Both bikes come in at the same price because the SuperX is on sale. I think the real deciding factor is if ballistec carbon is really that much better than CAADX alloy and If I should sacrifice high end parts just to get the full carbon frame. Will the ride really be that much smoother on the SuperX? I also am a bigger rider so I think I may prefer the geometry of the CAADX which has a more upright positioning. Lifting up both bikes they both feel like they are about the same weight. What are your thoughts?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    were did you find the 2014 CAADX? I didn't think they were out yet, not on the cannondale website either.

microdosed sarcasm
    Jul 2010
    SuperX Carbon all the way!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by m2ber04 View Post
    were did you find the 2014 CAADX? I didn't think they were out yet, not on the cannondale website either.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    I thought those were just leaks....no pricing and as far as I know my LBS had no official info from Cannondale on release, pricing, specs for 2013 CAADx. What is the pricing on the CAADx Ultegra Disc then??

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    I think the 2014 Caadx Ultegra has 6700... same exact bike as 2013... bummer! I ordered the SuperX Rival at the crazy closeout you referred too. No looking back... stoked! Hope to get it tmrw or Wed.

pmt
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    SuperX for sure; not only is it likely lighter, but the SRAM controls are much easier to clean after a dirty season.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2003
    Do you race??

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012

SuperX Ballistec Carbon vs. CAADX Optimized 6061 Alloy

SUPERX all the way. Rode mine for the first time last night at CX practice and I am in love

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    Nothing against carbon fiber, but what would it cost to replace either frame?

This thread reminds me of watching a friend's rear derailler clog with mud, resulting in a mangled derailler hanger and a destroyed carbon fiber frame. When I race I don't ever want to worry about the equipment I might need to replace.