RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2006

suspension road bike/cx

i'm mtb rider for meny years, looking for long time to get road bike, i live in Jamaica and the roads here are not great to say the least, i'm also about 230 lb in a good day, and not going to be a racer,
    so looking for someone that can build for me the bike i think i need : TI frame with suspension fork and disk break, the frame need to be a little stronger then ususal and few more grams are ok with me.
    so first if any of you have or see something like that pleas some pics and info,
    and second how do you think can build the bike for me
    thanks
    Poppy

180 lb weight weenie
    well-----you might have some problems finding a 700c suspension fork. You could just outfit a mtn bike with slicks...or...air down your tires for the "suspension"

jeremy
    PlusOneLap.com: Online Cyclocross Magazine

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremyb
    well-----you might have some problems finding a 700c suspension fork. You could just outfit a mtn bike with slicks...or...air down your tires for the "suspension"

jeremy
    well i think with all this 29" bikes out there its just a question of time and this will not be a problen anymore
    and time i have !

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006

cannondale

cannondale makes a couple of front suspend flat bar touring bikes with a front headshock.

http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/06/CUSA/model-6BS.html

Or you can go with 29er mtb with slicks and a shimano LX touring crank with 48/36/26 gearing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    check out the 29er board over at the sister site mtbr.com.

otherwise a mtn bike with big fat slicks like the schwalbe big apple 2.35's.

Number 2 on the course.
    I don't think you need that much bike. 230 lbs. isn't that heavy. I think a good quality, non-lightweight steel frame and fork with 28C tires would be plenty.

If you aren't going to run full size 29er tires (i.e. 2.1" knobbies), I'd look into the possibility of running a 700C disc wheel with road tires in a 26" MTB fork.