RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011

Tektro Brake swap

So a few months ago I splurged and bought myself a 2012 Kona Jake the Snake. I love this bike. I ride it more than my road bike actually. The one thing I that is killing me is the front brake. Everything I have read about canti's from this forum is true, squeal/shudder. I changed out the brake pads to the salmon colored Kool Stops and nothing has changed. I went to my LBS and they told me that canti's are just like that. So I want to swap out the front break. I cant afford the TRP C9.0 so I have narrowed my choices to either the Tektro RX5 or the Tektro 926A with a brake noodle with the barrel adjuster. Which on would be better? Thanks.
    If This Is Heaven...How Bad Is Hell???

pmt
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    Can you put a fork-mount hanger on that? Or a deep-drop hanger? That may be enough to stop the shudder.

Game on, b*tches!
    Cantis are not "just like that" if adjusted properly. I run Tektro cr 720's and Koolstop black (it's dry this year) and have run salmon and the tricolor with no squeeling or shudder.
    Originally Posted by tetter
    'Pain is temporary, and there might be beer at the finish line'

"Karma is spread in lots of different ways. You know, like herpes."
    catzilla
    "I'm an American male. This is pizza. Leave me alone!"
    Alton Brown
    ohnoIaintsuckingnomore.blogspot.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    I stuck mini-Vs on my Jake recently. I'd talked it over with my mechanic and it sounded like I could be in for a lot of throwing parts at the bike, and I was never happy with my cantilevers anyway. Turned out they were extra-sucky when I took 'em off - no bushing.

Anyway. I vote 926A. I have the BX3v which has the same brake arm casting as the RX5. I like them a lot better than what I had, but if I could change one thing, it would be to reduce the mechanical advantage of the brake a bit. The 926 has a shorter arm. I have Tiagra 4500 shift/brake levers, so you probably already have longer-travel levers than I do; this may not apply to you as much.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pmt View Post
    Can you put a fork-mount hanger on that? Or a deep-drop hanger? That may be enough to stop the shudder.
    +1...just get one of these for a few bucks:

Amazon.com: Origin8 Brake Hole Mount Cable Hanger - Rear: Sports & Outdoors

You might need a longer bolt to fit your fork, but I bet this will solve the shudder issue.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I just unboxed and started building my own Jake the Snake. I forgot how much of a joke cantilever brakes are!

CX9's will be going on this bike immediately.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Get the RX5s. Plenty of stopping power, and decent rim/pad clearance.
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything