RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2005

Track ends vs standard droputs with a WI eccentric hub

The frame I'm looking at is stock with standard dropouts and derailleur hanger, I will be setting the new bike up as a SS. Having the frame custom made with track ends is an option, for an extra $300. My current CX bike is set up with a White Industries eccentric hub, I have not had any problems with this set up what so ever. I was wondering if track ends would be any better than the WI eccentric hub? My last experience with track ends was on my BMX bike in the 80's.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    I generally find track ends to be a PITA, so of those two options, I'd choose to save money and go with the ENO hub. However, if you're getting custom, why not get forward facing horizontal dropouts (like the Surly Cross Check)? These grip much better than track ends (no need for a chain tug, in my experience), and moving the wheel to adjust your chain tension doesn't affect your brake to rim relationship. It's simply a better design.

Number 2 on the course.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan
    The frame I'm looking at is stock with standard dropouts and derailleur hanger, I will be setting the new bike up as a SS. Having the frame custom made with track ends is an option, for an extra $300. My current CX bike is set up with a White Industries eccentric hub, I have not had any problems with this set up what so ever. I was wondering if track ends would be any better than the WI eccentric hub? My last experience with track ends was on my BMX bike in the 80's.
    IME (three ENO Ecc. hubs, 2 now converted to straight axles), the ecc. is a kludge. Then again, I would sooner choose vert. drops, a tensioner and QR axle hub for racing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2008
    Track ends with nut tuggers; from homebrew components work great. Easy wheel changes with the nut tuggers, release the wheel and slide out with the nut tuggers and the nut tuggers are then preset correctly when you put the wheel back on. Or paragon sliders.

I have the WI eccentric hub and it works well but wheel changes are not as simple as with a frame with track ends and nut tuggers.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan
    Having the frame custom made with track ends is an option, for an extra $300.
    $300 for an "upgrade" to track ends sounds like a lot to me. These Black Cat drops were an extra $125 on my recent custom. Not sure if they come without the disc brake mounts or not. Very easy to adjust, and they don't slip.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Track ends vs standard droputs with a WI eccentric hub-hunterdrops.jpg