RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009

Trek XO1 vs. Cannondale Cyclocross 5 vs. Specialized Tricross Comp

I'm considering adding a bike to my stable. I have a 63cm CAAD9-5 and a 23" Rockhopper Comp Disc 29er. I've been thinking about a cross bike to fill in the gap for long off-road rides and to use for training in the winter. My LBS has a great deal on an 09 XO1 in a 62cm, but I really like my Cannondale and Specialized bikes; the frames just look to be light years ahead of Trek in the sense of design and style. Maybe this has nothing to do with it, but it doesn't look like a lot of thought has gone into the Trek frame. I don't want to buy it just because it is a good deal. I could spend about $300 more and have one of the other two. But if they are actually nice bikes, I might pick it up. The Trek is a 62cm, and the C'Dale and Spec are 61cm, but the way they are measured, I think they all end up being the same size. I heard rumors that Specialized might be building 64cm bikes for 2011, but I'm not sure. I also think the polyurethane shock absorber in the fork of the Spec looks cool, but is it just gimmicky? The other thing is that the dealer that sells C'Dale and Trek is really cooler. The Spec dealer is not my favorite place to deal with, so that's one thumbs down for them. Bring on the opinions.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    I owned the C'dale (in a 54cm mind!) and have ridden the same 09 Trek a few times, never ridden the Spesh.

THe C'dale I really liked, for the buck its great, frames stiff = great for power transfer but you feel all the road bumps (I see you ride a CAAD 9, so I'm sure you are used to the harsher ride) throw on some wider slicks for the road and youre laughing.

The trek felt smoother to me. Not sure what you mean by style really? They're both "average" alloy frames IMO.
    If the Treks a better deal then go with it, is the spec within your liking?

If the Spesh shop is not your favourite, then stay away. If you are not treated well, then it makes dealing with problems all the more difficult.

I have dealt with the same LBS for the past 15 years, and only ride what they carry. Limits my choices but the service is exceptional.
    Example, I took my Spesh S works MTB in with bottom bracket issues. Did'nt have one in stock so the owner gave me his personal Fisher til mine was fixed. Customer for life..

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'd agree. Go C-Dale or Trek or wait for the new Spec Crux. It seems the Tricross is pretty heavy for what it is. The Trek had a pretty glowing review in CXM awhile back. I believe it has a lower bottom bracket than either of the other two, so will corner and handle more like a road bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    I tried finding the CXM review, but didn't have any luck. If anybody has a link I'd like to read it. I have done some other searching on the XO though, and it seems to be a good bike. My only reservation is wondering if the quality of the XO frame is on par with the others. The large "Made in Taiwan" sticker on the head tube is somewhat discomforting, and the frame design, particularly the seat stay, just doesn't look as refined as the other bikes. It looks much more mass produced and doesn't seem to have the same level of fit and finish aesthetically. This seems common to most aluminum Treks that I've seen though. Maybe I''m naive, but the "Handmade in USA" stickers on my CAAD9 make me feel proud when I'm riding it. I haven't seen their new CX bikes, so maybe they're made in Taiwan, too. That aside, the 105 components are a good happy medium for me, and I've read great things about the Bontrager Race wheels. I'm pretty much to the point of ruling out the Specialized, solely due to my disappointment in the LBS that sells them. It's too bad, because they crank out some pretty sweet bikes.

I feel crazy for even wanting this bike, as I don't know if I'll ever race it competetively, but I've gotten so addicted to riding over the last couple of years that I look forward to the different type of riding it would allow me to do. I think its place in my stable would be as a long-distance alternative to my 29er, use for occasional commuting, and for winter training up here in the Nebraska tundra.

RoadBikeReview Member
    You'd have to either buy the magazine or have someone scan the piece and email/snail mail it to you. They don't use the website as a full on-line magazine version, so alot of the print copy doesn't become virtual.

Aesthetics are aesthetics. To be honest, I'm not completely convinced a nice looking weld from the outside is always superior on the inside. I think there are certainly instances where this is the case.

From what I understand the XO is a quality frame (good enough for Lance at CrossVegas a few years back). Then again the CADD9 cross sits under the current National Cross Champ and two other powerhouse cross races on a regular basis. Although I'm sure this year they will be on the carbon SuperSix Cross.

I think you'd be hard pressed to go wrong with either bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2008
    I have a CX9 frame that replaced a redline conquest pro frame I got used from a friend which was a size too big. The CX9 is a great due to the BB30 and top quality produced frame . The wishbone seat stays take lot of the bumps out. I have used it MTBing on local fireroads and some trails. It has higher a BB than the tricross, which makes its better for MTBing on trails when you want to and rides better.

I have used the tricross comp bike from the local race series demo bikes for many of my first CX races. It was comfortable, but the CX9 is way better in response to input from the rider. Tricross forks also have been known to be heavy, while the CX9 should come with easton EC90X fork which is lighter and stiffer. This is easton top CX fork and highly rated in the CX world compared to the Alpha Qs, and and other companies top CX forks. Never used the Trek XO bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    I just bought the Trek. The deal became too sweet to pass up. I will pick it up tomorrow.