RoadBikeReview Member

Van Dessel Country Road Bob Opinions

There's one for sale online for pretty cheap and I've been considering getting a SS for cross as a race bike and also a pit bike. I've never seen one at the races, does anyone have any feedback on this bike?

Thanks.
    Zero

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005
    No feedback from me. I just want one (and a gin and trombones too!)

180 lb weight weenie
    A couple people I saw race the Bob at the portland SS races. I think they look kinda cool. thats all my feedback. sorry.
    PlusOneLap.com: Online Cyclocross Magazine

RoadBikeReview Member
    I rode one for a couple years before I got a crosscheck. never raced on it, so I got nothing there but it was a fun winter bike. smooth ride for an aluminum frame, the carbon fork seemed well made and did what carbon forks are supposed to do. wheels were above average, not light but fairly durable. decent parts spec. the new ones have straight tubes and a derailer hanger that bolts onto the track end.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I currently ride one of the newer straight tube Bobs as my commuter and dirt road/winter bike. I would agree that it's a fairly smooth ride that seems plenty stiff and accelerates and climbs well. Big welds aren't pretty but appear bombproof. Solid basic components with really nice smooth hubs. Flip/flop rear is nice feature for quick switch between fixed/free. Carbon fork is nice but no fender mounts on it. Fender mounts on rear only. A nice solid versatile bike IMHO. I don't think it would disappoint.

singlecross

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    I raced a CRB this season in the Seattle series as a cat 4 (new to CX) and a few of the SS races. I really liked it. Handled well, solid ride, unique. The stock freewheel gearing was decent for most of the series races 38x18 but maybe a little too low, except that last Kelly Creek race. Also liked that I have the ability to gear it and run 1x9 if I want to in the future. I heard that Van Dessel is going back to the curved downtube for the 2007's which wouldn't be very good for cross. I got a good deal and am glad I did.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremyb
    A couple people I saw race the Bob at the portland SS races. I think they look kinda cool. thats all my feedback. sorry.
    There were at least a good half dozen or so CRB's at Cross Crusade this year. It was definately the bike of choice for Krueger's Crossing (can't break a derailuer if you don't have one).

The Bob's worked great for SS CAT, just get your gearing right. If you change out the stock 18 tooth though, be warned that any other BMX/Shimano/etc. gear you use will probably need a spacer (10 mm washer) to get the fit just right. Get a Surley Tugnut to keep the drive side tight and locked in. Plenty of room for clearance on any tires you could think to use.

It's a fun bike to ride on and off road. I'm quite happy with mine.

At the end of the season, wash, rinse, repeat, toss on some slicks, a set of fat fenders, and start commuting again. Here's Bob after the cross season

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KonaMan
    There were at least a good half dozen or so CRB's at Cross Crusade this year. It was definately the bike of choice for Krueger's Crossing (can't break a derailuer if you don't have one).

The Bob's worked great for SS CAT, just get your gearing right. If you change out the stock 18 tooth though, be warned that any other BMX/Shimano/etc. gear you use will probably need a spacer (10 mm washer) to get the fit just right. Get a Surley Tugnut to keep the drive side tight and locked in. Plenty of room for clearance on any tires you could think to use.

It's a fun bike to ride on and off road. I'm quite happy with mine.

At the end of the season, wash, rinse, repeat, toss on some slicks, a set of fat fenders, and start commuting again. Here's Bob after the cross season

Sweet! Nice fenders! Thanks for the info. I think I'll look into getting one.
    Zero