RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2002

Velocity Sagitta wheelset v. OP/Ultegra?

I have to build a bike before the next Pilarcitos race (Nor Cal) in two weeks. I'm leaning toward buying a Conquest Pro frameset and I building up myself. I'm also considering just buying the built bike. Does anyone have any experience with the Velocity Sagitta wheels that come stock? If I did my own build I would use a OP/Ultegra wheelset. If my math is right, I can buy parts online and can upgrade in several places and still come in at about the same price as the complete bike from Redline. I'd appreciate any input.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004

Go with the Custom Build

Velocity makes nice wheels, however, I would go for the custom build if all costs are equal. There is nothing worse than not being completely happy with a new bike purchase.
    --
    RB

Do not touch the trim.
    Sep 2004

Do you mean "Velomax" Sagitta

Quote Originally Posted by outofthesaddle
    I have to build a bike before the next Pilarcitos race (Nor Cal) in two weeks. I'm leaning toward buying a Conquest Pro frameset and I building up myself. I'm also considering just buying the built bike. Does anyone have any experience with the Velocity wheels that come stock? If I did my own build I would use a OP/Ultegra wheelset. If my math is right, I can buy parts online and can upgrade in several places and still come in at about the same price as the complete bike from Redline. I'd appreciate any input.
    If your not gonna run discs go with the Ultegra/OP, aside from being unecessarily heavier( Velomax) I just hate the look of disc hubs if your not gonna run discs. just me maybe?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2002

sorry - mental lapse - Velomax...

I'm not planning on discs. Sounds like the OP/Ultegra wheels are the way to go. I think that by building myself and taking advantage of online component prices for about the same $$ I can upgrade the 105 to Ultegra (except front derailleur) and the brakes to Pauls. I just hope it all comes together before the next race.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2002
    Just allow some time for breaking in the new bike and parts. I changed a brake cable, just a few days before the first Pilarcitos race, then had it come loose during the race. So, no back brake...luckily, the course didn't have tricky downhills to deal with.