RoadBikeReview Addict

Vittoria Cross Evo XG

My bike came stock w/Nokian Ravagozzi Cross, 700x35C. They're decent kevlar beaded tires, but I think they're on the heavier side, especially considering their size. I raced them a few times but now only use them for training and pit/backup tires/wheels. I then purchased a set of 32mm Vittoria Cross Evo XG's and raced on them. They have a similar tread pattern as the popular Tufos and come in a nice light gray/silver color. However, they seem to run on the narrower side and just don't have the same footprint and 'bite' the Nokian's had, as they seem to slide out more easily. I'm now considering getting a new pair, but in the 34mm size (or an alternate tire all together). Those of you using these tires, what size ya' running?

Thanks,
    -Jeff

Kram has marked me
    I've got the 34 Evos on the cross rig now and it happens to be leaning on my desk, begging me to ride it home.

I can't give you much feedback because I just put them on the other day and have not given them the full treatment on a cross course. I've only used them to bike commute on the dirt trail that runs along side the W&OD trail here in Northern VA. From what I've been able to tell, they seem very similar in ride, acceleration and climbing traction to my Muds. I rode them in a light rain today and the grip was reasonable when standing and climbing.

I'll be running Tufos in the races but I plan on these tires being on my pit wheels.

Looking forward to other's feedback.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    The 32mm Evo XG are on the narrow side (for a 32mm). The 34s run truer to size.....

Kram has marked me
    Jeff,
    I used my 34's in a cross clinic yesterday and they do not corner as well as my muds. Acceleration grip was pretty good, braking was so-so. I had them down at around 38 lbs and the ride over rough stuff was very good. I would not race them that low though. Maybe 42-44 lbs. All in all, not bad and if I flatted a mud, these are a viable alternative.

Thor

RoadBikeReview Addict
    Thor,

I appreciate the update. What were yesterday's course conditions? Sounds like I shouldn't bother w/the 34 Vittoria's, but instead get some Muds (or a Mud front and Jet rear). My LBS has the Panaracer Cross Blaster which look nice, but they're only 31's.
    -Jeff

Kram has marked me
    Jeff,
    The clinic was in Northern VA and it had rained the night before so the ground was wet. It was a sunny day so the grass dried out, but once we did some turns, it started getting muddy.

I tried the Jet on the back at Lily Pons last year (dry, dry, dry) and it did not work out. Grip in the dirt was lousy. I had a Mud in front.

In 2004 I used Twister Pros (34's) and they were great in the grass, so-so in the mud. They tended to pack with mud because the knobbies are so close together. The only race I still use these for is the Iron Cross. I've got a set of 37's for those.

You can't really go wrong with Muds front and rear if you are on clinchers.

Thor

RoadBikeReview Addict
    Thanks again, Thor...

My LBS had a NOS Mud sitting on a back shelf (the older, green ones) and they were wiling to give it to me. =) Now I just need to find another. Anybody have a NOS original green Mud they'd be willing to sell me?

Thanks,
    -Jeff