RoadBikeReview Member

who just did the stumptown Grand Prix??

I did that's who! And what fun it was. It was my first ever cross race and of course it rained and got so muddy that it was a muckfest!
    I did the beginner race and I tink I did ok. It's hard to figure out who is ahead of you when there are two races going on at the same time.

Here are my observations;

This shiit is fun.
    Mud is hard, but it makes other people ride more poorly too.
    Speedplay Frog pedals suck arse in mud. Yes Suck. Suck suck suck suck suck..Mud
    A, racers are really fast

Questions...

Would Michelin Mud tires have helped in all that mud or am I just S.O.L. regardles?
    My rear derailleur stopped working as it was full of grass and mud. Is there any way to prevent this?
    Why aren't there more races??

Pure joy....

RoadBikeReview Member

Who won the pro men? (nm)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2004
    who won the pro race???

RoadBikeReview Member

Pontoni

An Italian pro named Pontoni won the race. He has been world Champ twice and is over here doing a few races...probably to get uci points. He was so smooth and just rode away from everyone...I bet he'll win again today in Tacoma..

http://www.cyclocrossworld.com/News....103&theKey=103
    Last edited by Vanilla Gorilla; 10-10-2004 at 09:27 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2004
    VG,
    The way to get rid of that shifting and braking problem is to do what one lady did in the Women's field, and ride a FIXED. There were numerous single speed riders, but there was also one woman of a fixed track bike.

Congradulations on the race

Alembical

RoadBikeReview Member

Me too!

Quote Originally Posted by Vanilla Gorilla
    I did that's who! And what fun it was. It was my first ever cross race and of course it rained and got so muddy that it was a muckfest!

Pure joy....
    I was in the begineer race as well. The first lap was a mess, with people falling down, and in general getting in my way! Just after the pits, someone fell down and took me with him; but we were going at a walking pace, so no hardship. Coming out of the VeloDrome I slipped and went down HARD on the sidewalk. That almost ended my race, but I got up and kept going.

Me at the start. Notice how clean the bike looks; I'd just hosed it off.

I think I finished 4 laps, but I can't swear to it. Once again my son cheered me on, and I cheered him on in Jr's. I'm not sure where I finished, but it FELT like I did better this week, despite the hard crash.

my filthy bike at the end:

And we rode the first race, by the later races I'm sure it was a mudpit begining to end!

Ken

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002
    Michelin Mud tires were the tire to have at Portland. Pontoni chose to run them over his uber-expensive Dugast tires.

Best way to deal with the mud and grass is to switch bikes and have someone hose them off between laps. Not the cheapest solution but definitely the best. If you have a choice between spending $2,000 for a high-end cross bike or $2,000 on two entry level bikes you'll almost always be better off going for the two bikes if you live in a muddy area.

RoadBikeReview Member

she owns the Velo Shop

Quote Originally Posted by alembical
    VG,
    The way to get rid of that shifting and braking problem is to do what one lady did in the Women's field, and ride a FIXED. There were numerous single speed riders, but there was also one woman of a fixed track bike.

Congradulations on the race

Alembical
    Killed the field in the SS class last weekend too... PHENOMENAL rider... I suck

More Cowbell!
    Quote Originally Posted by flyweight
    Michelin Mud tires were the tire to have at Portland. Pontoni chose to run them over his uber-expensive Dugast tires.

Best way to deal with the mud and grass is to switch bikes and have someone hose them off between laps. Not the cheapest solution but definitely the best. If you have a choice between spending $2,000 for a high-end cross bike or $2,000 on two entry level bikes you'll almost always be better off going for the two bikes if you live in a muddy area.
    Pontoni changed bikes once at Portland -- and I heard it was because of a tire/wheel issue. I ran Tufos and they worked pretty well. Oh yeah, I won beer! Some photos (I'm the guy in yellow):

This is my Eggbeaters advertisement. See the Crank Bros. banner? See all the mud on the bottom of my shoes? No problems clipping -- all day.

Pro rep, yo!

More Cowbell!
    Quote Originally Posted by KonaMan
    Killed the field in the SS class last weekend too... PHENOMENAL rider... I suck
    Molly is a guy. Seriously.
    Pro rep, yo!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripped
    Pontoni changed bikes once at Portland -- and I heard it was because of a tire/wheel issue. I ran Tufos and they worked pretty well. Oh yeah, I won beer! Some photos (I'm the guy in yellow):

This is my Eggbeaters advertisement. See the Crank Bros. banner? See all the mud on the bottom of my shoes? No problems clipping -- all day.
    Nice pics! Great to see you in action!
    I hope to make it to Gloucester for the first race on Saturday
    Me on running at RunningMania.com http://www.runningmania.com/forum/vi...15813&start=50

In support of injured Canadian Forces soldiers, please donate generously to Soldier On! http://www.cfpsa.com/Splashpages/SoldierOn/
    Proud supporter of local shops!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripped
    Pontoni changed bikes once at Portland -- and I heard it was because of a tire/wheel issue.
    The wheel issue was on Sunday when something was wrong with his front Charisma and he was REALLY unhappy about it. I was working the pits in that race and saw him make his change. His mechanic hosed the bike but didn't switch wheels.

RoadBikeReview Member
    which race were you in gripped??

More Cowbell!
    which race were you in gripped??
    C's. Took 5th. I seem to excel at muddy races. Last year Memorial Park was my best finish and that was a slop fest too.
    Pro rep, yo!

RoadBikeReview Member
    are results posted yet?? How much faster is the C race than the beginner race?? Thanks!

More Cowbell!
    are results posted yet?? How much faster is the C race than the beginner race?? Thanks!
    From the OBRA mail list, I've got results for all races except beginner and masters B's. I think they are planning to complete the results by tonight. Results are late beacuse the head judge took all the results up to Tacoma after the race.

I think the beginners race has the widest margin of ability. There are some decent cat 4's and sport mountain bikers in there. They figure 'cross is weird so they had better start in beginners. Anyway, if you placed okay in beginners, moving to the C's isn't too big of a leap.
    Pro rep, yo!