Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    banned
    Apr 2008

Is DeRosa out of business yet?

Just noticing how this forum is evaporating, no pro team use, and I don't see anyone riding them anywhere.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005

Yes, they went out of business.

You should go buy a specialized.

Staff
    Mar 2012

Stronger than ever

I'm sure this thread started in jest. With the introduction of several new models including Protos, Merak Evolution, 838, 848, Milanino and a several more in the pipeline for upcoming season De Rosa is seeing extremely good sales and market capture.

Because they are not sponsoring Pro Tour does not mean anything except to a very small percentage of people out there. Ask most cyclists who won Pro Tour events and they would still say Lance. In other words, having a Pro Tour team does not facilitate De Rosa's identity but concentrating on making the best bike you'll ever ride does.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    De Rosa does sponsor a pro team, Utensilnord-Named (successors to De Rosa-Ceramica Flaminia); the team is a UCI "Continental" team. By in large, it's the ProTour level teams that get just about all the publicity.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    De rosa has more prestige than any other brands, they dont need a lot of publicity because their buyers know the brand and know what they are getting. The funny part is when you are riding people ask you what brand is that one... the other one is... what does it say in your components?? campa... what???

Same situation with other brands like BMC for example, those sell by itself.

People doesnt know any better than what the store sells or magazines says.

RoadBikeReview Member

I got one compliment the other day.

"Nice bike." the guy quipped, as he eased past on his Lightspeed. I returned the compliment.

The Shimano/Specialized/Trek/Giant/Fuji crowd doesn't see DeRosa much out there. Pinarellos and Colnagos are the status bikes around DC. I don't have much time to ride my DeRosa retro bike I bought new in the 80s. Most people aren't impressed. But man, does that thing ride nice! There's only one word to describe it: confidence. It'll do anything, accelerate, climb, corner, descend, with aplomb. I've never "outridden" it, 65,000 miles, the same bike the pros rode for twice those miles. At mile 85 on a century when I'm ready to say, "The hell with it!" it says, "Come on fool! We'll make it!"

I think the bikes he builds today are the same. He's stayed small to maintain control over the exquisite quality of his product, somewhat like Campy has. That's rare.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007

2007 Tour de France Champion riding a De Rosa

Here's a recent photo of the 2007 Tour de France Champion Michael Rasmussen riding a the new De Rosa Protos to yet another victory. Rasmussen will have a Pro-Tour Team ready to ride soon. Maybe he'll sign Vincenzo Nibali.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is DeRosa out of business yet?-473209_310849752322416_307522955988429_705148_2064452820_o.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007

2007 Tour de France Champion riding a De Rosa

The Protos***
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is DeRosa out of business yet?-524420_177388392379899_100003262187203_267565_1980131826_n.jpg  

Anphaque II
    Aug 2010
    I'm eyeballing a Nuovo Classico with a full Record or Super Record Groupset !
    America's greatest threat: Congressional liberal Democrats

Crimes Against Humanity: The History of The Democrat Party

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007

Christina watches....

There is a new Danish powerhouse team owner on the rise. Move over Bjarne Riis, Christina Watches is going to clean your clock. Introducing Christina Hembo............ Rasmussen's De Rosa Merak on display in her shop.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is DeRosa out of business yet?-464668_403762376304707_170050459675901_1782413_1304763322_o.jpg  
    Last edited by enac; 05-11-2012 at 10:19 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    Team Christina Watches----please sign the disgruntled Fabian Cancellara, and V. Nibali and get your Pro Tour team going next year.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is DeRosa out of business yet?-423168_10150674072584618_613269617_8768870_560911878_n.jpg  
    Last edited by enac; 05-11-2012 at 10:21 PM.

Anphaque II
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by enac View Post
    There is new Danish powerhouse team owner on the rise. Move over Bjarne Riis, Christina Watches is going to clean your clock. Introducing Christina Hembo............ Rasmussen's De Rosa Merak on display in her shop.

No pun intended!
    America's greatest threat: Congressional liberal Democrats

Crimes Against Humanity: The History of The Democrat Party

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by enac View Post
    2007 Tour de France Champion Michael Rasmussen
    Say again? He was ejected, not champion.

Staff
    Mar 2012

Thanks De Rosa Fans

Thank you to everyone for responding to this thread. The brand is as strong as ever and the passion for all things De Rosa is always rewarded with every turn of the crank on one.

De Rosa is one of the last builders to still offer standard and custom production bikes in Carbon, Steel, Titanium and Alloy and they take much pride in doing so.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cda 455 View Post
    I'm eyeballing a Nuovo Classico with a full Record or Super Record Groupset !

I love that bike. The dark green looks hot too. I'm glad they are still making frames the way that made them famous.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009

My impressions of

So, without the chance to take my '12 Merak Evolution on any definitive rides to serve as proving grounds for the performance of the frame, I can only give insight into the quality of the frame while building the bike up component by component.

From first glance, the finish of the matte black carbon frame is quite nice. Upon closer inspection, there are raw edges of the alloy inserts that are exposed, making it look cheap. Examples of locations that exhibit this are the derailleur housing entry points on the head tube, the rear brake internal routing entry/exit points, top surface of the head tube, and the derailleur hanger area. (I can take more detailed pictures later) There are also imperfections, which look like sink areas in the carbon layup that are apparent in the paint. (will take pictures of this soon)

My initial impressions are that of mixed emotions. For what I paid for the frameset, I wish it could have wow'ed me more. Fortunately I was able to get a good price on the frameset. The downtube geometry, while I don't doubt the box-section tube, is flexy (compliant by hand-compression. It isn't confidence inspiring for me, but then again, I don't have Cavendish sprinting wattage output. The proprietary mono-link saddle design is a little deterring. However, I was able to find a relatively brand-new SLR Flow Carbonio for less than half the price of any retail-priced saddle from eBay. Another note: the internal routing is not continuous (for the length of the front/rear derailleur lines). After entering the head tube, the exposed cables exit at the start of the down tube for the entire length, exposed to the elements (not a huge deal...but still, there could have been a more elegant solution in my opinion).

One extremely annoying aspect of the frame that I ran into while putting it together, was the internal routing to the rear brake. I had the cable housings and cable routed (2 pieces - 1) from brake levers to top tube internal routing entry 2) T-T internal routing exit to rear brake caliper). When I squeezed the brake lever, brake housing part1 was pulled into the TT (ferrule + housing). I believe this is unacceptable... I resorted to routing an entire length of brake cable housing to mitigate the housing being pulled into the TT and losing all tension set. Apart from this very bothersome issue, I finished the build that day.

I was able to take it for a quick spin today, and it did not fall apart. This week should let me come to a more conclusive review on the frame/build altogether on my usual climbs/sprints/descents on some of the same roads the ToC passes through. I really want to love the frame, I really do....

Staff
    Mar 2012
    Reading the thread regarding the Merak Evolution.
    1st - your completed bike looks VERY NICE excellent choice of components.
    2nd - you stated you tried to run housing cut at 2 places for the rear brake. We issued a tech bulletin regarding this to our dealer network awhile back. The Merak Evolution is set up to run cable housing all the way through the frame. The routing through the top tube is custom designed to accomodate this set up and will not produce any noise while riding. I've got close to 500 miles on mine at this point and it has been nothing but joyous.
    3rd - you found some areas of concern regarding the carbon in some spots. I would really like to see these photos to better understand what you're seeing here. Was this frame purchased in the states? I ask this only because if there is any issues we would be more than happy to help you resolve.
    4th - Merak Evolution seat post. As usual De Rosa always tries to push the boundries by using latest technology. The seat post is actually a custom Selle Italia monolink post exclusive for De Rosa. We do offer an adaptor for this post to convert it over to a 2 rail system if you prefer to run other brands. The reasoning behind going with the monolink was simple - beautiful look and better performance. By keeping the rail to the center of the saddle it takes away lateral play of the 2 rail system. Not super noticeable but it is there and De Rosa always tries to incorporate new technology into each generation of frames.

Again, congratulations on your new Merak Evolution and we wish you many happy miles ahead.

I look forward to hearing back from you on this forum. Your bike looks fantastic and once you get it out on the road for some more miles I'm sure your going to be a big fan of this model. We swept the NRC last season on the Merak so anything you throw at it in terms of performance needs will be rewarded every time with a smile on your face.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Nice ride wongjonsilver. great to see the protos out as well and thanks to enac for posting the photos.
    Trialtir - there are two dealers in my area but don't carry actual bikes I can test. do you guys ever circulate demos to shops? i'm looking at a merak II and would be doing a campy buildup, theres little info out there and the US dealers don't even really include availability or pricing on websites so it's been hard to do research, get info etc.

Staff
    Mar 2012
    Regarding demo bikes available. It's like going to a Ferrari or Lambo dealer and saying I really need to drive x model first. The De Rosa brand is legendary for ride quality and thus each model will exceed your expectations given the relative price point you are looking at.

We have tried to offer demo programs in the past but the cost is prohibitive to build out a fleet of various models and unfortunately they never came back from each demo in good order (or were even missing parts that were sent and when returned had inferior pieces).

If you need any information regarding colors, geometry, etc. you can always go to our site or the De Rosa site. If you need pricing you can also contact us directly or your LBS. The internet will give you a base blah blah blah price without the components you really want. Your LBS will give you (as De Rosa intended) a price for the bike you want. There is a great saying from Ugo which roughly translates "I want to fit your bike like a fine tailored suit." This is personal treatment and to get this you also need to have faith in your tailor (read De Rosa & LBS) that you will end up with a great bike and a great ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Thanks for your quick reply. Haha, yep, that's about what I figured on all fronts, as well as what I hoped to expect. I've been on the same Orbea that i've loved for 8+ years and really looking forward to this purchase and know i'll have it for a long time to come. I'm looking for frame, fork seatpost/mast as i'm going to build it up.
    Assuming I order from my LBS, what lead time should I expect/do you have stock in your wherehouse? (i'm a M in most bikes 5'9.5" tall, 33 inseam etc.. so i'm figuring the 54 is my geometry.)
    Great that you are out here monitoring forums and that you jump in and seem to be dedicated and passionate...those are the same qualities that make this brand so attractive!

Staff
    Mar 2012
    I'm monitoring this and some other sites to help when I can. Forums are great if the information is but sometimes the "experts" are far from it. I'm not claiming to be the expert but I can at least claim to know the brand very well, the family very well, the models very well and have the trust of the factory to be the distributor in the Americas.

Regarding your question about stock. We have all sizes in stock in the black with red line and a few left in the black with green line. You stated your size but I'm not touching the fit over the net. You need to have someone look at you in person. This is the best way and the most accurate. Again, we want to fit you like a fine tailored suit.

Enjoy your new Merak Evolution. I've had mine now for a couple of months and can't wait to take it out everytime. For the money I'll put it up against others that cost double the price.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Thanks again. I totally get it on fit and just wanted you to know I wasn't a giant or unusually small. I'm a bit keen on the black with white, when do you guys expect/will you get another shipment with more selection?

Staff
    Mar 2012
    Not for a couple of months at best.

That's it for now. It's happy hour somewhere and also here so my staff and I are out until Monday. Everyone be safe out riding this weekend and keep the rubber side down.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007

The De Rosa Merak White Line

The White Line
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is DeRosa out of business yet?-de-rosa-merak-1.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trialtir USA View Post
    The De Rosa brand is legendary for ride quality and thus each model will exceed your expectations given the relative price point you are looking at.
    Hmmm...well...if I had chance to test ride my Neo Pro I wouldn't buy. It was one expensive frame and a good school not to buy something I didn't try before.
    Ante Smokrovic

2009 De Rosa Neo Pro - Fedaia, Giau, Pordoi, Sella, Gardena, Campalongo, Falzarego, Valparola, San Pellegrino, Valles, Staulanza, Vršič, Mangart, Furcia...

2003 De Rosa Team - Stelvio, Gavia, Mortirolo, Bonette, Agnel, Izoard, Fedaia, Giau, Pordoi, San Pellegrino, Staulanza, Manghen, Vršič, Učka, Mangart, Biokovo, Eisentalhöhe, Schonfeld, Schiestelscharte, Flattnitz...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast