Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Another amateur gets busted- Kyle Schmidt, EPO

11K views 72 replies 17 participants last post by  deviousalex 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Suspended for purchase, not proof of use. That's interesting.

#3 ·
I was surprised by this one too. I'm from WI and had never heard of Ogema. I had to Google it to find out where it was. If you look up his name on Athlinks.com, it looks more like a runner/triathlete (and not a very fast one). I wonder if he was supplying someone else.

#8 ·
C'mon guys...you all know he was just doing what everyone else is. He's leveling the playing field. There are plenty of doped up guys around here that have never served bans. Why is this guy taking the fall for everyone?

#11 ·
I doubt it. There are any number of "legitimate" doctors willing to prescribe whatever you want for a price, and for many people, Mexico's pharmacias aren't that far away.

The very real chance that you will get placebos or worse from many online pharmacies hasn't deterred a lot of dopers. There are many, many online pharmacies where you can get this stuff, and the prosecution of one isn't going to stem the tide.

#48 ·
Altitude tents are expensive and a pain in the rear, both to maintain and use. Just sleeping in them 8 hours is insufficient unless you blast the settings to 30,000ft. An athlete needs to spend 12+ hours in there to get significant gains.

That said, even if a tent were freely available to me, I would not subject myself to it. My freedom of movement is more important to me than winning some races (or even a national championship).

#50 ·
So apparently to the "reality" here, it doesn't matter if there is a level playing field, as long as no one does anything not specifically prohibited by the rules.

The 1984 US Olympic team are heroes.

People using any drug not on the banned list are fine.

Altitude tents are fine.

As Einstein said, if you keep doing the same thing over and over and expect a different result, you are insane, and that is what we have here.

Here is the solution pick HCT and hormone numbers that are 97th percentile. I'm guessing HCT is around 45, but I don't know. Whatever they are.

If your HCT or other markers are above the threshold, you are banned for six months.

No waivers, no "therapeutic" drugs. Any caffeine above what you would get from a Starbucks Venti is banned. Ibuprofen is banned. Aspirin is banned. If you are randomly tested and your BAC is over .05%, banned. THC, banned.

Obviously, no other pain killers.

You need an inhaler? Maybe the Pro Bass tour is where you need to be.

There you go. No one has to obsess any more about "doping". You have some kind of generic issue that requires drugs? The Greeks didn't care. Too bad for you. You go 100% natural or you go home.

Why wouldn't we do this? Ibuprofen, aspirin and alcohol are drugs.

#51 ·
Yes, there are many ways to improve, there are many ways to enhance performance. Some are legal, some are illegal.

It's weird when someone tries to take the moral high ground but at the same time scrambles for any and all legal (or grey area) advantages under the sun. But when a person isn't caught up with the moral browbeating, a "rules are rules" approach is reasonable.

#58 ·
About the same place you stop with allowing *some* riders to dope and others not to, I guess. How arbitrary is that?

I, in fact, was pushed inhalers for "exercise induced asthma" twice by two different doctors when I happened to go for a scheduled physical the day after a hard race. I had raspy inhales/exhales, and both doctors immediately said I should use an inhaler. I actually filled one of the prescriptions, but I only used the thing about twice. I mean hell, that's what my lungs sound like the day after three hours of hard effort. Silly me, I never thought of taking a hit BEFORE a climb, like Froome does. I couldn't even imagine whipping out an inhaler in the middle of a race, but hey, I guess that's why I never got anywhere.

#61 ·
if HCTs have to be under 50 (without the rare exemption)
there is already a bar
problem is in grand tours, the strain reduces it (along with hormones, body fat, etc...)
So riders 'topping off' seems to be the issue

#66 ·
Is there a point to actually be made here? Or does hokinunit have a naturally low HCT and Vo2 and he's just whining about it?

We should send him over to some F1 forums and have him start a post about how everyone needs to use the same car.

#67 ·
Why go to an F1 forum for that discussion? Bicycles are way more regulated than F1 cars. Your bike has to fit certain very specific dimensions, your handlebars have to be of a certain type, your body position on the bike must be within certain parameters, and the bike has to weigh at least 6.8kg.

The rider must only wear clothing that conforms to the rules. The rider cannot wear a radio. The rider cannot use a motorhome.

Why are there all of these rules? To level the playing field, right?

But wait, some riders get TUEs and can dope, but only certain dope. Anyone can take "legal" drugs. Why are some drugs "legal"? I thought we were trying to measure the "natural" athletic ability? So, if a drug is "legal", it is OK to take it, even if it enhances your performance? If you can convince a single doctor in the entire world that you have "Exercise Induced Asthma" you get to use an inhaler with steroid based vapor and everyone is OK with that?

So all that matters is the rule book?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.