Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004

Contador won't respond to Lemond's questions

I didn't see this posted here yet, Contador will have to do a little better than this when everyone questions his amazing TT today. At least Lemond is there giving it to Contador just like he did Lance eh?

http://tour-de-france.velonews.com/a...ping-questions

banned
    Dec 2006
    The more interesting inteview might be Cancellera.

How did he say he was feeling today?

12 strings, no waiting
    Good for Contador. Lemond is an ass.

banned
    Dec 2006
    http://twitter.com/procycling_mag

http://www.bikeradar.com/blogs/artic...faux-pas-22537

Alberto Contador just produced one of most woeful press conference displays in history.

It’s a universal truth of being a journalist at the Tour de France, that you collect the best material when you least expect it, and usually in the most surprising places.

So it was this afternoon when my conversation with another rider in the ground floor bar of Annecy’s Impérial Palace was interrupted by a fusillade of expletives originating from the mouth of Fabian Cancellara.

It’s fair to say that the rider known as Spartacus wasn’t overly thrilled with his second place behind Alberto Contador. Call it a hunch, but that’s the impression I got from the multilingual tirade to no-one in-particular with which Cancellara announced his arrival.

The object of his dismay? Not so much Contador as the motorbikes which, Cancellara believed, had hoovered the Spaniard to victory.

Several “Vaffancullos!” later, Cancellara had just about calmed down. He then sank a cold beer and threatened to “buy a motorbike to do my next time trial on.”

Cancellara should take heart from the fact that, while he did the business on the road, Contador’s performance in his post-race press conference was, by all accounts, horrendous. I wasn’t there, but for once it didn’t take long to catch up on whatever juicy sound bites I’d missed.

That’s because Contador was asked three questions -- all vaguely connected to a column penned by Greg LeMond in the newspaper Le Monde this morning -- and he refused to answer all three.

The title of LeMond’s piece was self-explanatory: “Alberto, prove to me that we can believe in you.”

The three press conference questions, two of which came from a Le Monde journalist, were as follows:

1. Can you please respond to what Greg LeMond said in Le Monde about proving that you’re not doped?

2. You were the fastest up Verbier, and now you’re the fastest in this time trial. Can you explain that ?

3. Can you please tell us what your VO2 Max is?

Contador’s three answers were identical: “Next question”.

Now, you might say that Contador did well not to dignify such loaded questions with a response. You might say that, but if you do, you’re sorely mistaken.

Whether Contador has something to hide or not, I’m sorry, but it takes a fool to think that refusing to answer questions about doping is a smart PR move. Or to think that it’s the best way to nip such scrutiny in the bud. A fool or just someone who was born yesterday and not, as Contador’s birth certificate states, long before Festina or Operacion Puerto or any of the other scandals that have brought professional cycling to its knees over the past decade.

For us journalists – or at least those who heard him – it must have been like traveling back in time to that execrable half-hour we spent hanging on Floyd Landis’s every guilt-ridden word in Montceau-les-Mines in 2006. The Tour was about to finish and Landis was the champion elect. A bit like Contador’s today, the American didn’t wanted to answer any questions even vaguely related to doping.

We all know what happened next.

At the end of a Tour whose scandals have been mercifully confined to the road, it would have been nice to feel that trend will continue when Contador steps onto the podium in Paris and even beyond.

Tonight, he had an opportunity to instill that confidence. Tonight, Contador made his first major faux pas of the Tour.

Follow Friebe's Procycling Magazine Twitter postings at twitter.com/procycling_mag.

As for another poster's characterization of LeMond. He's a cycling legend. When he goes on the record about anything cycling related, it's newsworthy enough for the cycling press to cover it. LeMond knows this.

Some in the peanut gallery evidently do not.

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by kokothemonkey
    Lemond is there giving it to Contador just like he did Lance eh?
    Oh isn't it safe for Lemond to flap his fat mouth when no-one has any of his samples to check back on? Remember some of the great rides he did as a pro? Remember when he overhauled Fignon on the last TdF day to squeak an 8-second win? Remember how he raced in the senior ranks in the USA when he was still a junior and whupped most of (all of?) the top guys?

If he saw someone doing those things today he'd accuse them of doping. So how come HE can do superhuman things and no-one else can? Who's next on his smear campaign - mini-Phinney?

I wish Lance would ask Lemond if he ever doped. I'd love to watch his reaction. Hypocrite bastard.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

I'm not cranky; I just have a violent reaction to stupid people.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Contador really only needs to address these questions if he is found positive. Until then its just the usual speculation.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by kef3844
    Contador really only needs to address these questions if he is found positive. Until then its just the usual speculation.
    Why would he need to address them if he tested positive? Wouldn't the test result speak for itself?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2007

Go away Lemond!

I use to have respect for you. Now your just a bitter old man trying to smear anyone who has success. It's really very sad

Gronk SMASH!
    Point taken, but it's his right not to answer questions. He is tested every day as the leader of the Tour. If he doesn't come back positive, then there you go. If he does, then bounce him.
    He's under no obligation to answer loaded questions like: "Alberto, Greg LeMond contends that every rider who ever rode faster than him is a cheat, a murderer and doesn't love Jesus! How do you respond?"

The only thing this press conference proves is that he isn't a PR whiz. I forgive him.
    ... and so it goes

12 strings, no waiting
    Quote Originally Posted by jptaylorsg
    The only thing this press conference proves is that he isn't a PR whiz.
    Actually, I think this was exactly the right move PR-wise. If bitter ex-riders and the press want to accuse him of doping, that's fine, but he doesn't have to play along. The best response in this situation is no response. Anything else just feeds the machine.

Travels by Map
    Quote Originally Posted by mohair_chair
    Actually, I think this was exactly the right move PR-wise. If bitter ex-riders and the press want to accuse him of doping, that's fine, but he doesn't have to play along. The best response in this situation is no response. Anything else just feeds the machine.
    I agree. In fact, I think Armstrong got more benefit of the doubt regarding doping until he started going on the offensive. Responding is a no-win since every answer will be interpreted by the questioner as an indication of evasiveness or guilt, and also make it a bigger deal for the press. There are probably some exceptions, but I don't think this was one of those for Contador.

Just to go on record about my stance, I think at least five of the top six GC riders right now are past and/or currrent dopers. The only one I don't know much about is Wiggins. However, in terms of PR, Contador did the right thing by not responding.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by lookrider
    1. Can you please respond to what Greg LeMond said in Le Monde about proving that you’re not doped?
    "I am a cyclist. I am not a medical doctor, endocrinologist, hematologist, exercise physiologist, biochemist, analytic chemist or any other type of scientist who is knowledgeable in the sciences necessary to answer that. Next question."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2007

Sorry

I thought we were talking about Contador? Must have the wrong thread.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rcharrette
    I use to have respect for you. Now your just a bitter old man trying to smear anyone who has success. It's really very sad
    I agree with you. It is sad to see this pathetic old fool make such an ass of himself.

This is not a comment on AC's guilt or innocence. I'll wait for the results of the final testing for that. Until then he will remain a great rider with no brains in my mind.

Embrace your inner Fred
    They are not going to find anything jsut like with Lance. Im an AC fan but he is disturbingly refreshed looking at all post race interviews, even when he is still on the bike, compared to everyone else. Its been almost 3 weeks and he still looks as fresh as the first day. His recovery is very good and his conditioning is top notch. I hope to god he is clean as I really enjoy watching an athlete that is head and shoulders above the rest a la Jordan, Federer etc.

2 busy workin' 2 hang out
    I see Lemond's side, it must rip apart a former competitor to see the sport full of PEDs. That said, I wouldn't be pushing it like he is but maybe that's why I'm not a professional athlete.

On the other hand, how can he prove he isn't doping other than what he's doing?
    Dictated but not read.

ab aeterno
    I have a feeling we will see Conti popped for something. He's probably been blood packing, maybe they'll tout their test for that finally?

banned
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rcharrette
    He's been vindicated in everything he's said.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T.
    Oh isn't it safe for Lemond to flap his fat mouth when no-one has any of his samples to check back on?
    LeMond was a big innovator. He was one of the first to use an SRM and his power numbers were always consistent. His VO2 max and O2 consumption were always very high and consistent. The same for his blood parameters which he can produce. His Hct was never over 45 and he grew up and lived at altitude.

Remember some of the great rides he did as a pro?
    Yup, I also remember him climbing the Alpe in 48 minutes when he went up with Hinault in '86. I also remember Fignon cracking him on the Alpe in '89.

Remember when he overhauled Fignon on the last TdF day to squeak an 8-second win?
    Here's the results of the stage, not the super human performance all the LeMond haters keep talking about.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/archi...-stage-21.html

STAGE RESULT
    1. Greg LeMond (USA) ADR 26-57
    2. Thierry Marie (Fra) Super-U at 33secs
    3. Laurent Fignon (Fra) Super-U at 58secs
    4. Jelle Nijdam (Ned) Superconfex at 1-07
    5. Sean Yates (GB) 7-Eleven at 1-10

Yeah, downhill, tailwind, used aerobars, and helmet; Fignon didn't. Remember also that Fignon took 3rd in that TT, not 2nd.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1989_Tour_de_France

The final time trial was over a course approximately 25 kilometres (15.5 mi) long, with a net elevation loss of 75 metres (247 ft). The riders had a moderate tailwind. LeMond's effort was the fastest individual time trial for a distance longer than 10 km ever ridden. A November 1989 Bicycling magazine article, supported by wind-tunnel data, estimated that LeMond may have gained 1 minute on Fignon through the use of the new aerobars. He also could have gained 16 seconds by wearing his aero helmet with a slightly elongated tail section for better aerodynamics, while Fignon rode bare-headed with his ponytail exposed to the wind. Fignon did perhaps gain a 5-second advantage by using a disk front wheel, while LeMond used a 24-spoke bladed radially spoked front wheel. Fignon finished third in the final time trial with an average speed of 53.59 km/h (33.33 mph).

Remember how he raced in the senior ranks in the USA when he was still a junior and whupped most of (all of?) the top guys?
    Most experts think the fact you cited is an indicator that such a person is NOT doping.

What do you suggest he was taking in 1976 and 1977 when he was 15 and 16 years old and beating Pro's?

LeMond's father was also a very talented rider so he had the bloodline.

Steroids and Amphetamines? Steroids are primarily a recovery drug and have you looked at LeMond lately. He's so hyped up I don't think he ever needed uppers.

If he saw someone doing those things today he'd accuse them of doping.
    Actually you're not aware of the facts. He had not been to the Tour for a few years in the 90's and went specifically in '97 because of all he had heard about Ullrich.

He was also initially very supportive of LA. It was only when David Walsh called him up in 2001 asking for his reaction to LA working with Ferrari that he started to suspect LA was not clean.

So how come HE can do superhuman things and no-one else can?.
    Within his physical parameters, everything he did was possible and he was competing against people who gained a couple of % points from less effective PED's than EPO. At the top level he was never as dominant as LA was.

Who's next on his smear campaign - mini-Phinney?
    Quite the opposite and he's gone on the record as being critical of Taylor Phinney being developed as a classics racer. LeMond believes he has the physical capacity to be a Tour winner.

I wish Lance would ask Lemond if he ever doped. I'd love to watch his reaction. Hypocrite bastard.
    He did threaten LeMond that he would find 10 people to say he used EPO. We're still waiting.
    Last edited by lookrider; 07-23-2009 at 05:23 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Lemond used PEDs as much as everyone else. Do you really think someone can have their gut loaded with lead, and still compete at his level.
    Don't bring up cancer either. Just don't.
    It might not have been EPO, but I'm sure there were many forms of stimulants, and recovery drugs easily available to him, and used by him and all his peers. All of the real racing high end GC racing has been accomplished with great training, great technology, and great doctors. Believe it
    Set=DbOg

banned
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SicBith
    Lemond used PEDs as much as everyone else. Do you really think someone can have their gut loaded with lead, and still compete at his level.
    Don't bring up cancer either. Just don't.
    It might not have been EPO, but I'm sure there were many forms of stimulants, and recovery drugs easily available to him, and used by him and all his peers. All of the real racing high end GC racing has been accomplished with great training, great technology, and great doctors. Believe it
    According to your opinion which really doesn't count for much of anything.

Also the whole doctor phenomenon didn't really exist until the late eighties, early nineties. LeMond specifically left PDM because they were becoming involved in this crap.

Don't you think it's odd the neither Fignon or Hinault are calling LeMond on his denials if they are in fact untrue? They're both in a position to know what the heck he was up to.

Funny but we haven't heard a peep out of anyone except for the peanut galleries of online forums. Why do you think that is?

she keep you buyin rats
    I wonder what Lemond's thoughts about Wiggins are this July?

flinty-eyed moderator
    According to your opinion which really doesn't count for much of anything.

Also the whole doctor phenomenon didn't really exist until the late eighties, early nineties. LeMond specifically left PDM because they were becoming involved in this crap.

Don't you think it's odd the neither Fignon or Hinault are calling LeMond on his denials if they are in fact untrue? They're both in a position to know what the heck he was up to.

Funny but we haven't heard a peep out of anyone except for the peanut galleries of online forums. Why do you think that is?
    "According to your opinion which really doesn't count for much of anything. "

No doctors involved until after Lemond- really? The rest is just Lemond's propaganda. Funny how Omerta explains everyone's undetected doping, except for Captain Lawsuit.

BTW, careful for the peanut shells on the floor- they are slippery.
    Dr. Cox: Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

banned
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolhand
    "According to your opinion which really doesn't count for much of anything. "

No doctors involved until after Lemond- really? The rest is just Lemond's propaganda. Funny how Omerta explains everyone's undetected doping, except for Captain Lawsuit.

BTW, careful for the peanut shells on the floor- they are slippery.
    Oh yes, Omerta is the reason that no one has said anything about LeMond?

Where are the 10 people who Lance was going to get to say LeMond took EPO or doped?

Nice evasions though. Walsh can come up with a whole book, many people who were willing to go on the record and break the silence, and yet still, nothing on LeMond.

Answer that question and name one rider who has ever named LeMond. If you can't do that you have nothing, which is obviously the case.

Name a lawsuit LeMond has lost....

LeMond is an "ass" doesn't count you know but nice try.

A lot of "company" men here....

A wheelist
    Oh yes, Omerta is the reason that no one has said anything about LeMond?
    Where are the 10 people who Lance was going to get to say LeMond took EPO or doped?
    Nice evasions though. Walsh can come up with a whole book, many people who were willing to go on the record and break the silence, and yet still, nothing on LeMond.
    Answer that question and name one rider who has ever named LeMond. If you can't do that you have nothing, which is obviously the case.
    Name a lawsuit LeMond has lost....
    LeMond is an "ass" doesn't count you know but nice try.
    A lot of "company" men here....
    And Lemond can pull off the exploits he did against top riders in probably what was the most drug-infested era in the history of cycling and he was clean? I knew he was good but was he that good? Maybe others have got better things to do than to stalk him around the world making insinuations about his performances?
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

I'm not cranky; I just have a violent reaction to stupid people.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2006
    And Lemond can pull off the exploits he did against top riders in probably what was the most drug-infested era in the history of cycling and he was clean? I knew he was good but was he that good? Maybe others have got better things to do than to stalk him around the world making insinuations about his performances?
    The majority of LeMond's career occurred before the introduction of widespread EPO use (early 1990s approximately). How can you say that LeMond's exploits occurred in the 'the most drug-infested era in the history of cycling' when the majority of his career occurred prior to the introduction of EPO? Shouldn't the EPO era onwards be considered the most drug-infested era?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast