Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 39
  1. #1
    bas
    bas is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    4,841

    David Rebellin - pro tour leader

    He's 35 yrs old.. the announcer on Eurosport commented today "Where does he get it from?".

    Is he doping in his final years?

  2. #2
    Yo no fui.
    Reputation: Pablo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    8,776
    If we're going to ignore the fact that there's no evidence, he's far more innocent than a lot of riders, like, umm, the guy a step down on the podium.
    "It is better to conquer yourself, than to win a thousand battles." -Dhammapada

    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

    "A true cyclist sometimes has to bite the dust before he can reach the stars. Laurent Fignon

  3. #3
    Cannot bench own weight
    Reputation: Einstruzende's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    4,300
    Well he did win all three Ardenne classics just a couple years ago. This win was not out of the question by any means.
    77th highest post count as of 9/4/2008

  4. #4
    bas
    bas is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    4,841
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo
    If we're going to ignore the fact that there's no evidence, he's far more innocent than a lot of riders, like, umm, the guy a step down on the podium.

    He's making other riders younger than him look like club riders.

    Somethings just not right..

  5. #5
    bas
    bas is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    4,841
    Quote Originally Posted by Einstruzende
    Well he did win all three Ardenne classics just a couple years ago. This win was not out of the question by any means.
    ok - did some research..


    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davide_Rebellin

    He was 3rd in pro tour rankings in 2005. The string of victories you mention was 2004.

    But something still doesn't seem right..

    oh well - kudos to him if he is clean.

  6. #6
    goodbye fraudriguez
    Reputation: mountaineer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    406
    Quote Originally Posted by bas
    ok - did some research..


    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davide_Rebellin

    He was 3rd in pro tour rankings in 2005. The string of victories you mention was 2004.

    But something still doesn't seem right..

    oh well - kudos to him if he is clean.
    I highly doubt that any of the top riders are clean like we ideally expect.

    It is all just shades of grey...
    mountaineer

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    11,551
    Quote Originally Posted by bas
    Is he doping in his final years?
    As opposed to his early years

    Rebellin has been caught up in at least one if not two of the police doping probes in Italy but has emerged relatively unscathed because the legal system of Italy and the cycling federation took a blind eye. I'm pretty sure they have him on film even buying drugs or injecting them or something of the sort.

    If it happened today, he'd be in deep sh*t but it was a couple of years ago before they really turned the fire up on these issues.

    Bettini is the other "old" Italian who has made it relatively unscathed thru the transition in the cycling world. Although if I could bet on it, I'd put money on him being the "Classics Man, Luigi" codename in the Fuentes file. He may yet get burned if ASO/UCI go ahead with this issue. He is also, one of the few riders, who so far has been unwilling to agree to give DNA. You put two and two together

  8. #8
    Yo no fui.
    Reputation: Pablo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    8,776
    Quote Originally Posted by bas
    He's making other riders younger than him look like club riders.

    Somethings just not right..
    I see your point, and I'm not being argumentative. This is more of an aside: doesn't endurance increase with age to a certain extent? I mean, don't a lot of one-day riders win into their mid-30s? Excuse my ignorance.
    "It is better to conquer yourself, than to win a thousand battles." -Dhammapada

    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

    "A true cyclist sometimes has to bite the dust before he can reach the stars. Laurent Fignon

  9. #9
    LA CHEVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2,302
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne Barry
    As opposed to his early years

    Rebellin has been caught up in at least one if not two of the police doping probes in Italy but has emerged relatively unscathed because the legal system of Italy and the cycling federation took a blind eye. I'm pretty sure they have him on film even buying drugs or injecting them or something of the sort.

    If it happened today, he'd be in deep sh*t but it was a couple of years ago before they really turned the fire up on these issues.

    Bettini is the other "old" Italian who has made it relatively unscathed thru the transition in the cycling world. Although if I could bet on it, I'd put money on him being the "Classics Man, Luigi" codename in the Fuentes file. He may yet get burned if ASO/UCI go ahead with this issue. He is also, one of the few riders, who so far has been unwilling to agree to give DNA. You put two and two together
    I think Bettini will announce his retirement the day they announce mendatory DNA tests...

    DAN GEROUS

    : ROAD
    : CYCLOCROSS
    : MOUNTAIN BIKING

  10. #10
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    11,551
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo
    I mean, don't a lot of one-day riders win into their mid-30s? Excuse my ignorance.
    Yes. Rebellin has been a protagonist in these sort of races for the better part of a decade now and certainly isn't any kind of Johnny-come-lately.

  11. #11
    Not Banned
    Reputation: atpjunkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    42,691

    yes Rebellin has been there for years

    he was close in Amstel and was wearing the Ppro Tour leaders jersey today so he is a long shot by no means. He almost took the inaugural PT overall the first year (the year he swept the Ardennes) but DiLucas Giro and late season put him over the top.
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

    still not figgering on biggering

  12. #12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,487
    you are an idiot for even suggesting that this win is even remotely out of ordinary for a guy like Rebellin. He is the mix for the Ardenes classics every year for the last 12 or 13 years. I ain't saying he not a doper, but do some research before you post something like that. It really makes you look dumb.
    And the year he swept the ardenes it was the world cup, not the ProTour. He had it all but wrapped up until Bettini came along and strung together a couple of podiums late season taking the jersey with a 6th at Paris-Tours.

  13. #13
    Not Banned
    Reputation: atpjunkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    42,691

    thx for the correction

    Quote Originally Posted by mtbbmet
    And the year he swept the ardenes it was the world cup, not the ProTour. He had it all but wrapped up until Bettini came along and strung together a couple of podiums late season taking the jersey with a 6th at Paris-Tours.
    and you are correct, final year yes?
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

    still not figgering on biggering

  14. #14
    bas
    bas is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    4,841
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbbmet
    you are an idiot for even suggesting that this win is even remotely out of ordinary for a guy like Rebellin. He is the mix for the Ardenes classics every year for the last 12 or 13 years. I ain't saying he not a doper, but do some research before you post something like that. It really makes you look dumb.
    And the year he swept the ardenes it was the world cup, not the ProTour. He had it all but wrapped up until Bettini came along and strung together a couple of podiums late season taking the jersey with a 6th at Paris-Tours.
    An idiot, huh?

    A 35 yr old should be fading.. it's happening/happened to Zabel, Julich, etc.

  15. #15
    Cannot bench own weight
    Reputation: Einstruzende's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    4,300
    Let's be fair here, Jullich was never on the same level as Rebellin and Zabel. Also Zabel is more of a pure sprinter, and that just doesn't work well when you're going up against Boonen and Pettachi.

    Rebellin was/is more versitile in that he can climb with the best on these 200-250km power climber's courses. Like Bettini, Valverde, Vinokourov.
    77th highest post count as of 9/4/2008

  16. #16
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    2,530
    It was phone taps where Rebellin and others were nailed talking to their suppliers. It was never clear to me why nothing happened to them. DiLuca did get prevented from starting the Tour around that time though. Makes Gerolsteiner's holier than thou doping pronouncements ring rather hollow since last I heard they also had Gontchar on the team who was similarly snagged.

    Rebellin has always had obvious talent, I think what he lacked until recent years was a good sense of how to properly train his body and pick his spots. He has cut back on the number of races he tries to do well in and has also, probably as a result, avoided injuries and illness much better the last few years.

  17. #17
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    665

    Forget the doping epithet...

    ...you simply have to assume that all pros dope because frankly there is so much BS flying around that yoy'll drive yourself crazy trying to work out who is for real and who isn't.
    Here are the facts:
    1. He's clearly no spring chicken
    2. He's a classy bike rider especially in hilly one-day races
    3. He's always been there or there abouts especially in the early part of the season
    4. He's got the pedigree to indicate that this may not be his last season
    5. Finally, if you look after yourself physically, and especially if you are able to maintain your psychological commitment to the sport, there is no physiological reason precluding you to competing at the highest level into your late 30s.

    Carlos Lopez broke the world marathon record at the age of 39 and Joop Zoetemelk was World Road Race Champion in his late 30s or early 40s. Also, Dave Scott was pretty mean as a 40-year old triathlete and let's not forget Ned Overend.

  18. #18
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,487
    Yeah, Zabel is fading bad. I would hate to be riding like he is right now. At his age he is always in the mix. Always. You picked a bad example there. Here's a guy who a few months ago picked up second at World's, beat his team leader in a sprint at MSR after leading the sprint out, and is considered a contender for most of the races he enters. And you want to come on here and use him as an example of a fading athlete? I don't think Zabel is any slower now than he was 10 years ago. Every one else is just catching up to him. Again, do some research and learn what you are talking about.

  19. #19
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    665
    I hope that wasn't directed at me? I am 40 this year and there's nothing I like more than hurting the young bucks when I get the chance to race. Zabel is a great example of what you can achieve if your mind is still young. I hope he gets a big win this year and I hope he races for another season or two.

  20. #20
    Cannot bench own weight
    Reputation: Einstruzende's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    4,300
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbbmet
    Yeah, Zabel is fading bad. I would hate to be riding like he is right now. At his age he is always in the mix. Always. You picked a bad example there. Here's a guy who a few months ago picked up second at World's, beat his team leader in a sprint at MSR after leading the sprint out, and is considered a contender for most of the races he enters. And you want to come on here and use him as an example of a fading athlete? I don't think Zabel is any slower now than he was 10 years ago. Every one else is just catching up to him. Again, do some research and learn what you are talking about.
    You say it's competition catching up, I say it's him losing just a little bit. That last little bit of ultimate power to pull out the big sprint wins again folks like Boonen. Zabel has even said as much in interviews. That's not to say he isn't still one of the best riders out there. Just missing that list little kick that keeps him in second place instead of first... (started with getting beat by Friere at MSR a couple years back).
    77th highest post count as of 9/4/2008

  21. #21
    Back from the dead
    Reputation: mohair_chair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    20,906
    Do you ask that about anyone who wins a race? Actually, don't answer that. I'm sure you do.

  22. #22
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    2,530
    Zabel has certainly lost the final push in the sprint but the MSR loss to Freire was in no way an example of it since he only lost that race because he started celebrating before the line.

  23. #23
    Cannot bench own weight
    Reputation: Einstruzende's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    4,300
    Quote Originally Posted by terzo rene
    Zabel has certainly lost the final push in the sprint but the MSR loss to Freire was in no way an example of it since he only lost that race because he started celebrating before the line.
    What I'm saying is that was really the first of many many second place finishes. That one race per se might not have been because of a loss of top end speed.

    It's a moot point because I think Zabel is awesome, and should be a roll model for all cyclists.
    77th highest post count as of 9/4/2008

  24. #24
    Yo no fui.
    Reputation: Pablo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    8,776
    Quote Originally Posted by gizzard
    ... and let's not forget Ned Overend.
    That's not fair. Ned's, like, a million years old.
    "It is better to conquer yourself, than to win a thousand battles." -Dhammapada

    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

    "A true cyclist sometimes has to bite the dust before he can reach the stars. Laurent Fignon

  25. #25
    AJL
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo
    That's not fair. Ned's, like, a million years old.
    Yes, and apparently has 2 sets of lungs - or so it seems. He came in second in last years Mt. Washington Road Bike Race when he was 51!!!

    1 1/83 M3539 52:21 8.7 Tyler Hamilton M 35 1 Boulder CO
    2 1/51 M5054 54:41 8.3 Ned Overend M 51 2 Durango CO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

INTERBIKE

Contest

Hot Deals See All Hot Deals >>

Interbike Featured Booths

Check out the hottest road bike products from these brands!



















See All Interbike Coverage - Click Here »


Latest RoadBike Articles


Latest Videos

RoadbikeReview on Facebook