Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010

Fraud, witness tampering, mail fraud, and drug distribution

Concerns Over Closure Of Federal Investigation Into Armstrong And US Postal | Cyclingnews.com

One source, NPR says, said there were ‘no weaknesses in the case’.
    “I talked to someone within the investigation but the reason why the case was shut down was due to a one man decision. The evidence against those involved was absolutely overwhelming. They were going to be charged with a slew of crimes but for reasons unexplained he closed the case saying it wasn't open for discussion,”
    Nope, this is not over.

RoadBikeReview Member
    So I assume he paid off the entire Justice system? :roll eyes:

I don't know what to think. I will assume they had a case, but they knew that they could not prove it beyond a reasonable doubt and knew they could not win the case.

Everyone should just move on. Nothing good can come out of this. Lets not waste anymore tax payers money on this.
    DIRT BOY

"Pain is a big fat creature riding on your back. The farther you pedal, the heavier he feels. The harder you push, the tighter he squeezes your chest. The steeper the climb, the deeper he digs his jagged, sharp claws into your muscles." - Scott Martin

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    You are welcome to move on.....but many will not.

As I have said many times, the case against Armstrong and his buddies was overwhelming. I expect more on this in the coming days.....then full exposure why one man overrule multiple agencies to drop a case the a 5th grader could have prosecuted.

WADA not moving on either

Lance Armstrong -- WADA urges Feds to hand over evidence from discontinued probe - ESPN

I expect the Qui Tam case is also proceeding rapidly now

Roadbike Rider

Here we go

Great we can start this all over. Now we can put the whole justice system in with the conspiracy. Care to add main stream media, various presidential candidates, some large financial institutions and major league football just to spice up the story? What about a terrorist angle?

I'm not saying he didn't dope but I believe the grand jury if they think they don't have strong enough evidence to convict Lance of federal crimes, and/or they think a significant penalty will not result even if they are successful. I respect their decision to move on and stop wasting money.

Hopefully the USADA will be able to establish whether he was doping or not, (most likely he was imo).
    "It's supposed to be automatic, but actually you have to push this button. "
    — John Brunner (Stand on Zanzibar)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Chainstay View Post
    Great we can start this all over. Now we can put the whole justice system in with the conspiracy. Care to add main stream media, various presidential candidates, some large financial institutions and major league football just to spice up the story? What about a terrorist angle?

I'm not saying he didn't dope but I believe the grand jury if they think they don't have strong enough evidence to convict Lance of federal crimes, and/or they think a significant penalty will not result even if they are successful. I respect their decision to move on and stop wasting money.

Hopefully the USADA will be able to establish whether he was doping or not, (most likely he was imo).
    You may want to read the story. The overwhelming majority of the justice system saw

‘no weaknesses in the case’
    The Grand Jury did not decide anything, they are dismissed before they are allowed to give their position. Additional witnesses were scheduled to appear this week.

One person ignored the input of multiple agencies and overwhelming evidence.

always right sometimes
    “I talked to someone within the investigation but the reason why the case was shut down was due to a one man decision."

Who??

"El Bwana"
    Can't find the story on NPR. Link?
    "Pardon me, but could you help out a fellow American who's down on his luck?"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by PDex View Post
    Can't find the story on NPR. Link?
    Sports News The Super Bowl May Have Overshadowed : NPR

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by rydbyk View Post
    “I talked to someone within the investigation but the reason why the case was shut down was due to a one man decision."

Who??
    Andre Birotte jr

He ignored multiple agencies, investigators, and dozens of witnesses.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2001
    Curious, why would NPR and Cyclingnews.com not name their sources?

The only two names of individuals mentioned in the article are Lance and Antre Boritte Jr. (who issued the press release on behalf of his office, not as an individual).

This article could be more meaningful of the sources would be named.
    Côte du Petit Pas d'Ane - Best climb name ever.

flinty-eyed moderator

legal nerdish thoughts

The interesting question is who is behind all the leaks on the investigating side? It has been leak a palooza from the start, even about the GJ stuff (a big no-no I thought), and was bad enough that the leaks were mentioned in the dismissal (a major wrist slap was intended in that obviously). So the leaker then retaliates with even more leaks all designed to burnish the image of the investigators (one or more of whom were leaking favorable things about themselves and their case). Very amateur hour. Be interesting to see if someone suddenly leaves for the private sector or "to spend more time with their family".

On the bright side, it kept us entertained until the Conty "decision" was released.
    Dr. Cox: Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

banned
    Aug 2011
    This story is going to receive the kind of scrutiny faced by Clinton after the Marc Rich pardon.

Birotte, Boxer, Lehane, Fabiani, Breuer......Obama???? Stay tuned? If you have a pulse you will stumble across big news in the next week or so.....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolhand View Post
    The interesting question is who is behind all the leaks on the investigating side? It has been leak a palooza from the start, even about the GJ stuff (a big no-no I thought), and was bad enough that the leaks were mentioned in the dismissal (a major wrist slap was intended in that obviously). So the leaker then retaliates with even more leaks all designed to burnish the image of the investigators (one or more of whom were leaking favorable things about themselves and their case). Very amateur hour. Be interesting to see if someone suddenly leaves for the private sector or "to spend more time with their family".

On the bright side, it kept us entertained until the Conty "decision" was released.
    Do you have an example of a Grand Jury leak?

Burning Fists of Love

Politics and cycling

Quote Originally Posted by Chris-X View Post
    This story is going to receive the kind of scrutiny faced by Clinton after the Marc Rich pardon.

Birotte, Boxer, Lehane, Fabiani, Breuer......Obama???? Stay tuned? If you have a pulse you will stumble across big news in the next week or so.....
    I have not seen a man take a blow like that since Ted Kennedy
    This old anvil has cracked alot of hammers

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris-X View Post

Really? I doubt it ands its a waste of tax payers money. Only the haters want to see this. :roll eyes:
    DIRT BOY

"Pain is a big fat creature riding on your back. The farther you pedal, the heavier he feels. The harder you push, the tighter he squeezes your chest. The steeper the climb, the deeper he digs his jagged, sharp claws into your muscles." - Scott Martin

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRT BOY View Post
    Really? I doubt it ands its a waste of tax payers money.:
    I agree, Birotte wasted money.

Investigators spent 18 months developing a slam dunk case with multiple charges, only to have it killed by one guy. It is absurd that one guy can kill an investment like that

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    And don't forget LA is buddy buddy with a ex-president ( Bush ) who I would take a WAG has a little bit of influence still.

Just a thought
    2nd place is 1st loser

Friends don't let friends ride clinchers

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2009
    I think its over.

The Feds just dropped the case and people think that it is going to be reopened because bodies with no teeth (next to the feds) are inquiring?

Its done. If they found something, they closed it because they wanted to bury it. Theyll hand over the evidence, all blacked out and missing pages and encrypted and written in invisible ink in a language that only the aliens in Area 51 understand.

Go Blue
    Quote Originally Posted by rydbyk View Post

Who??
    I seriously doubt that it was a one man decision. It is true that the US Attorney for a judicial district has plenary authority over prosecutions in the district and the US Attorney for the Central District of California made the announcement that he was dropping the prosecution. But, I find it hard to believe that even the US Attorney would make such a decision in a high profile case that has had national (and international) coverage without consulting with the Criminal Division at Main Justice.

Assuming for the sake of argument that the evidence against Armstrong was overwhelming, there are lots of reasons why the US Attorney and/or the Department of Justice would decide to drop the prosecution. The Department of Justice has limited resources and the Department may have made the decision that scarce resources would be better spent elsewhere. A few years ago, I was speaking with a career federal prosecutor who was complaining that types of cases that his office prosecuted regularly in the past were being put on the shelf because of lack of resources. His view was that unless a case had "terrorism" stamped on it, it was going to be a low priority. Of course, there also is the possibility that the decision to drop the case may have been a political one.

I will be interested to see how the story of the decision not to prosecute develops.
    I try to be perfectly civil, until someone really pisses me off.

banned
    Jun 2011
    I am stunned that someone would find information that is only supported by an "unnamed source" and post as if it is 100% proven fact that everyone can see.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by biobanker View Post
    Theyll hand over the evidence, all blacked out and missing pages and encrypted and written in invisible ink in a language that only the aliens in Area 51 understand.

There's alien cryptologists in Area 51??

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002
    All I can conclude from this is that LA is now considered Too Big To Fail too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
    I seriously doubt that it was a one man decision. It is true that the US Attorney for a judicial district has plenary authority over prosecutions in the district and the US Attorney for the Central District of California made the announcement that he was dropping the prosecution. But, I find it hard to believe that even the US Attorney would make such a decision in a high profile case that has had national (and international) coverage without consulting with the Criminal Division at Main Justice.

Assuming for the sake of argument that the evidence against Armstrong was overwhelming, there are lots of reasons why the US Attorney and/or the Department of Justice would decide to drop the prosecution. The Department of Justice has limited resources and the Department may have made the decision that scarce resources would be better spent elsewhere. A few years ago, I was speaking with a career federal prosecutor who was complaining that types of cases that his office prosecuted regularly in the past were being put on the shelf because of lack of resources. His view was that unless a case had "terrorism" stamped on it, it was going to be a low priority. Of course, there also is the possibility that the decision to drop the case may have been a political one.

I will be interested to see how the story of the decision not to prosecute develops.
    You make a good point Mark. Resources are scarce. There are a couple issues that I find puzzling

1. If it was a resource issue why would they spend so much time and money on the investigation? It does seem odd to have multiple agencies working for two years and it is dropped against the input of the investigators and the Grand Jury

2. By most accounts they had a solid case. This was consistently what was represented to multiple witnesses as well as various foreign agencies. Given this confidence politics, resources, and willingness to proceed against a famous athlete with a huge following likely played a role

To be clear, I do not think there was a conspiracy. Armstrong very wisely hired the right people to insure his position got across to the people who could effect teh case the best

Now this moves to USADA and to the Civil division of the Department of justice.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Falsetti View Post
    Andre Birotte jr

He ignored multiple agencies, investigators, and dozens of witnesses.
    He does have a history of not bringing charges against high profile bad actors.

Angelo Mozilo | U.S. drops criminal probe of former Countrywide chief Angelo Mozilo - Los Angeles Times

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by nedbraden View Post
    I am stunned that someone would find information that is only supported by an "unnamed source" and post as if it is 100% proven fact that everyone can see.
    This.

Readers of this thread should use discretion in finding credible the statements of those who have gotten it wrong in prior threads.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast