Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 181920
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Mike View Post
    ...and now we find out the test is deeply flawed and therefore nobody has ever used it for performance enhancement.

I just don't know what to believe anymore. First we discover EPO does nothing for athletic performance, and now this...
    I think WADA and the UCI should just come clean and make an announcement that they are only interested in weeding out performance enhancing drugs when a star rider is not involved. Just say what we already know, skip the phony dance, and close the case

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    ...and now we find out the test is deeply flawed and therefore nobody has ever used it for performance enhancement.

I just don't know what to believe anymore. First we discover EPO does nothing for athletic performance, and now this...
    In typical yellow “journalistic” style, Cycling News grossly overstates the methodology and conclusions of the previous, EPO, study, presumably to discredit the investigator. If I recall correctly... The study has a very small sample size, about 12 or so subjects, they were all un-trained or low-level amateurs (for obvious reasons - they didn’t want to get “popped” in their racing), and the study was pretty short-lived (6 weeks or so?). It’s probably not terribly surprising that untrained riders don’t show much difference between EPO and the control group as actual training on the bike is likely to have a much greater impact than EPO. EPO isn’t magic fairly dust that will turn a couch potatoe into a TdF champion without any training. Also, it’s well known that people with naturally high hematocrit levels don’t benefit nearly as much from EPO and I don’t think that was controlled for. So for Cycling Weekly to say the his previous study “claimed there is no performance benefit from EPO” is pretty badly overstating the conclusions and methodology of the study.
    Well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion man. - The Dude

RoadBikeReview Member
    Froome = Lance 2.0
    While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions. - Stephen R. Covey.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by love4himies View Post
    Froome = Lance 2.0
    You just never know.

Strong coffee, aspirin, amphetamines, cocaine, anti-asthmatics, cold remedies, a beer and cigarette before attacking for the finish line, and who knows what other substances supercharged the human engines in pro cycling history?

What the teams should do is submit a list of the crap they're feeding the riders so the other teams, if they choose, can use them also to equalize a perceived threat, if there is any. If performance capabilities change on a given day, alter doses accordingly. Lance went the whole time doing it this way, taking advantage of strategic possibilities along the way, and passed the drug tests.

Just a perverse thought so I can enjoy watching the next TDF.
    Last edited by Fredrico; 2 Weeks Ago at 10:38 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    I feel like VN is saying what a lot of us are thinking without directly saying it.....

What's wrong with Chris Froome? | VeloNews.com
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashadabd View Post
    I feel like VN is saying what a lot of us are thinking without directly saying it.....

What's wrong with Chris Froome? | VeloNews.com
    Maybe spin, but the coach said he's holding back Froome so he peaks for the TDF. Maybe his time is winding down. Maybe he has asthma! Gotta see how he does in July.

Dares to use the rasberry
    He looks even worse now. Not sure mis timing his peak, or if the stress is getting to him.
    Joe Louis had come out of retirement to fight Rocky Marciano and he was seventy six years old. Joe Louis is always lying about his age. He lied about his age all the time. One time Frank Sinatra came in here and sat in this chair. I said Frank 'you hang out with Joe Louis, just between me and you, how old is Joe Louis.' You know what Frank told me, he said 'hey, Joe Louis is 137 years old.' 137 years old!!

Fronting like you're on the cutting edge of Red Lobster news

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gegarrenton View Post
    He looks even worse now. Not sure mis timing his peak, or if the stress is getting to him.
    Or he's not doing the drugs he once was now that he's been caught.
    While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions. - Stephen R. Covey.

That thought had crossed my mind.
    Joe Louis had come out of retirement to fight Rocky Marciano and he was seventy six years old. Joe Louis is always lying about his age. He lied about his age all the time. One time Frank Sinatra came in here and sat in this chair. I said Frank 'you hang out with Joe Louis, just between me and you, how old is Joe Louis.' You know what Frank told me, he said 'hey, Joe Louis is 137 years old.' 137 years old!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    I think, if you are being objective, you have to at least be open to the possibility that is the case. He looks like a completely different rider now, slightly above average GC guy really. The guy was riding and TTing people into the ground almost at will before. I definitely don’t know what happened for sure, but this looks strange and I am a guy that typically hopes they are all clean at this point, but the Sky situation seems fishy.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

The Slow One.
    I don't know. He's mostly hanging with guys who targeted this race, and his goals were to peak for the last week. I'd say they missed the timing and the wreck really did do some damage. I fully expect him to climb the standings still. Maybe not to the top of the podium, but not too far off after the TT and the final week.
    The stress could be getting to him, but I think he just bit off more than he could chew this time around.
    If he isn't banned by the Tour, I fully expect him to be the Froome of "old"- and all that implies. I thought it odd that he would target the Giro-Tour double before he had his fifth Tour locked up, but I guess he felt like it was the right thing to do.
    Don't bury the guy yet.

Don't bury the guy yet.
    I'm gonna shovel all the dirt I can on the **** head.

RoadBikeReview Member
    It's amazing how err...irrelevant he becomes when he's not in the spotlight up front. Good cycling without the Sky train, who would have thunk it.
    "That pretty much sums it up. I'm 43 and my max is ~178-180. If that HR chart was mine or Froome's, we'd be on the verge of death. But for you it probably looks like a normal workout." -TLG

LOLOLOL

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    no... this may be relegated to PO~!!!!!
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    no... this may be relegated to PO~!!!!!

why ? since when is shoving dirt on Froomes head PO material
    PO is a liberal echo chamber.

Matnlely Dregaend
    2018 is the year of travesties... first a ridiculous settlement for Lance, now Sky vaulting Froome to Giro victory.

Disgusting. This (professional) sport sucks.
    “Bicycling has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world.” - Susan B. Anthony 1896
    "Cycling and ethical bankruptcy have always gone together." - Bike Snob NYC
    "White personifies this generation's obsession with superficiality, one in which a carefully curated social media post is more important than the actual ride" - Daimeon Shanks
    "I haven't %^&* like that since I was an altar boy" Hank Moody

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrSmile View Post
    2018 is the year of travesties... first a ridiculous settlement for Lance, now Sky vaulting Froome to Giro victory.

It's a head shaker, for sure.

WTF happened. I say it's a hidden motor that there isn't currently technology out there to detect it. There is nothing else to explain today. An 80KM time trial gaining 3 minutes ahead of the GC group

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012

WTF happened. I say it's a hidden motor that there isn't currently technology out there to detect it. There is nothing else to explain today. An 80KM time trial gaining 3 minutes ahead of the GC group
    Hidden motor? Isn’t that what that well doper Hesjedal was alleged to have used. As documented elsewhere Froome took more time out of Dumoulin going down the Col de Finestre rather than going up. Maybe he has a time travel device fitted

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coldash View Post
    Hidden motor? Isn’t that what that well doper Hesjedal was alleged to have used. As documented elsewhere Froome took more time out of Dumoulin going down the Col de Finestre rather than going up. Maybe he has a time travel device fitted
    Yes it was and proven he didn't.

Froome was able to go 80KM on his own and gain time, it wasn't all down hill, there were 2 more climbs after that. I don't believe he did it clean, not for one bit.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Yes it was and proven he didn't.

Froome was able to go 80KM on his own and gain time, it wasn't all down hill, there were 2 more climbs after that. I don't believe he did it clean, not for one bit.
    Clearly it wasn’t all downhill but he gained time on Sestriere descent as well. Must be a remarkable motor and battery
    Last edited by coldash; 2 Hours Ago at 11:58 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member

It's getting to the point where Professional Wrestling is more believable.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012

Just seen this posted on another forum

Froome's ascent of Finestre, even will the full Sky lead out was the slowest there has been. (2005, 2011, 2015 were all faster)
    Richard Carapaz ascended the Jafferau fastest, but was almost 3 minutes slower than Santambrogio/Nibali in 2014, in appalling conditions.
    Dumoulin and Froome both 20 odd seconds slower than Carapaz
    Thought some perspective might be useful

Adorable Furry Hombre

"Marginal Gains" LOL.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 181920