Page 1 of 19 123 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012

Froome in trouble

Full story on Chris Froome returns adverse analytical finding for Salbutamol | Cyclingnews.com here

I’ll wait until the facts are established but it raises the whole TUE issue (for everyone) again

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by coldash View Post
    Full story on Chris Froome returns adverse analytical finding for Salbutamol | Cyclingnews.com here

I’ll wait until the facts are established but it raises the whole TUE issue (for everyone) again
    I think its inspiring that athletes with debilitating asthma and COPD can somehow rise to the highest level of professional sport

RoadBikeReview Member
    Just read that. Somehow it doesn't surprise me at all. I just don't believe somebody who is clean can race at that level for years and win multiple grand tours. It's Armstrong all over again.
    While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions. - Stephen R. Covey.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    I’ve just read some more of the details and it is very strange. He appears to be well over the limit (x2) yet knows he was being tested every day and bound to be caught if he exceeded the limit.

In any event I hope that the UCI investigation is fair and if he is found in contravention (and right now I can’t see how he wasn’t) then the sanctions applied are consistent with previous cases.

PS. I wonder if Landa will be regretting leaning Sky now. He could have been in with a chance of TdF leadership

RoadBikeReview Member
    *ding!*

Oh maaaaaan! Oh maaaaan! *rubs hands together*

I'm gonna go get the popcorn. brb
    "That pretty much sums it up. I'm 43 and my max is ~178-180. If that HR chart was mine or Froome's, we'd be on the verge of death. But for you it probably looks like a normal workout." -TLG

LOLOLOL

The Slow One.
    Darn Spanish beef...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    just how common is asthma among Sky riders? Maybe cycling should ban all asthma victims at the pro level, you know, to protect their own health. Joke. Stripe him of the title and ban him a couple years. That should be a fair punishment.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    just how common is asthma among Sky riders? Maybe cycling should ban all asthma victims at the pro level, you know, to protect their own health. Joke. Stripe him of the title and ban him a couple years. That should be a fair punishment.
    As a group pro cyclists are very sick people. I personally think pro cycling should do away with TUEs. Its clearly a joke

Where's that GPS?
    Jury still out on this one but it's not looking good - a little over the limit and I'd be inclined to give Froomie the benefit of the doubt (an exceptionally hard day with his asthma - took one pull too many from his inhaler, I'd let that go) - but 2x the limit goes too far!

I think we can all agree that the TUE policy needs to be revised.

Sky is quickly becoming the new U.S. Postal.
    1980's - Centurion
    1990's - Peugeot
    2000's - Specialized
    2010's - Bianchi

''This story was so perfect for so long. It's this myth, this perfect story, and it wasn't true.'' - Lance Armstrong

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    I’ve just read some more of the details and it is very strange. He appears to be well over the limit (x2) yet knows he was being tested every day and bound to be caught if he exceeded the limit.

In any event I hope that the UCI investigation is fair and if he is found in contravention (and right now I can’t see how he wasn’t) then the sanctions applied are consistent with previous cases.

PS. I wonder if Landa will be regretting leaning Sky now. He could have been in with a chance of TdF leadership
    Landa is or should be glad to have moved.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    As a group pro cyclists are very sick people. I personally think pro cycling should do away with TUEs. Its clearly a joke
    '

This is the real issue and a really fair question. Has Sky basically been using TUEs to dope their way to grand tour victories? When you line the Wiggins and Froome issues up side by side, it certainly doesn't look good. FWIW, I think people like Dan Martin have legitimate issues that they use medication to control so that they can compete on a level playing field (his allergies are so severe he basically can't even ride if he doesn't take them), but I am very suspicious of what is going on at Sky.

Nibali on Froome: ‘It’s a big blow to cycling’ | VeloNews.com
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Sky has learned to milk TUEs to its max. Wiggin, Froome. One has to wonder what else they are doing besides TUEs. It'd be a little naive to think that TUEs are it for them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    In that case, the future for Team Novo Nordisk doesn’t look promising

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...m-novo-nordisk

Forever a Student
    I've pondered this a bit.

My decision is that he's a guilty doper.

Others have been busted for this in the past, at less concentrations, and been given bans for it.

His concentration and timing of this drug tell me he deserves a full ban of at least 12 months.

If he doesn't get banned and races grand tours, I will not be watching them or paying attention to them.

For me, this is it for him.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    Sky has learned to milk TUEs to its max. Wiggin, Froome. One has to wonder what else they are doing besides TUEs. It'd be a little naive to think that TUEs are it for them.
    AIUI, in the Froome case, there wasn’t a TUE required. The use of the substance is allowed but there are limits on how much is taken and also on what shows up in tests (2 separate points). In this case the tests indicate that he took too much. The next stage will be to establish how much he took (how?) and if this was within the limits to figure out why his test results were so high. I guess there is a long way to go on this

And if anyone thinks TUEs are only an issue for Sky, then they are being naive

RoadBikeReview Member
    Too old to ride plastic

I love to climb!
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    That only says he's at risk of losing it, not that he has.
    Stop in at Element Sports. www.elementsport.com
    Get Out! Have Fun!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwiffle View Post
    That only says he's at risk of losing it, not that he has.
    Yeah, I guess that I'm just to eager to see the guy squashed.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Is his wife twittering in his defense yet?
    PO is a liberal echo chamber.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    I guess this will have been reported

'Chris Froome's drug reading makes his Vuelta a Espana win more remarkable'

elsewhere but it could lead to the position where if he was found in contravention of the WADA and UCI rules, he couls appeal and win at the CAS because the rule is unjustifiable because the use of the substance gives no competitive advantage other than to combat athsma

RoadBikeReview Member
    I guess this will have been reported

'Chris Froome's drug reading makes his Vuelta a Espana win more remarkable'

elsewhere but it could lead to the position where if he was found in contravention of the WADA and UCI rules, he couls appeal and win at the CAS because the rule is unjustifiable because the use of the substance gives no competitive advantage other than to combat athsma
    Wanna bet riders can't work themselves into asthma symptoms by putting in too many miles at max. intensities, and don't fully recover? Exercise induces asthma symptoms in many otherwise healthy riders. I'd give Froome the benefit of the doubt if his excuse is accurate.

He had to take this drug to breathe. Otherwise he's out of the race. Doesn't seem fair to brand him a criminal for this. Caffeine will do the same thing.

Forever a Student
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    He had to take this drug to breathe. Otherwise he's out of the race. Doesn't seem fair to brand him a criminal for this. Caffeine will do the same thing.
    Does it take between 20 and 32 puffs from an inhaler in an afternoon to be able to breathe?

He gets 10-16 with no questions asked. He took at least double that.

He didn't need it to breathe.

He needed it to win.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Nobody yet knows how many puffs he took. All that is known is the test results. If Froome’s “conversion ratio” is abnormal then the number of puffs may differ from the estimate.

What seems odd is why would anyone “OD” on a substance that the consensus now suggests has no performance advantages

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    I admit to not having enough medical knowledge about this area.

Here is my take -

I cannot be a professional cyclist because my genetics do not allow me to process/convert enough oxygen per unit time.

If someone got the crappy genetic dice roll of asthma, diabetes, etc. that they cannot be a professional cyclist without drugs, how is that genetic dice roll different from me?

In other words, if you can't compete without drugs then sorry you can't compete. Life is not fair.

I can see TUEs for temporary conditions (saddle sore). But, no TUE for chronic conditions.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Last edited by Rashadabd; 12-14-2017 at 08:00 AM.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

Page 1 of 19 123 ... LastLast