Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Greg says "you took ten years from me" .

20K views 238 replies 39 participants last post by  Horze 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Greg LeMond is now a bitter old man!!! His jealously is over whelming and its real sad. Dope or no dope, LA won 7 against dopers. Greg had dopers in his time and don't give any crap about he did not dope in someone form or broke rules to win.
Greg, please go away!!!! LA should have never received a Lifetime ban. USDA, UCI and everyone else failed so he get the full wrath for everyones mistake and bungling and making $$$$$ with him.

And people wonder why cycling is in the crapper and does not make money like other "professional" sports.

#3 ·
LeMond is right. The extent of Armstrong's cheating, the depth of the conspiracy, the sheer number and time-span of the lies, the threats and blackmailing of those who didn't want to go along, make a severe penalty appropriate.

"Lifetime ban" is kind of moot, anyway. How much more professional racing would he do?

Certainly the authorities messed up, repeatedly, but saying Armstrong should get off the hook because they goofed up by failing to catch him earlier is absurd, IMHO.

#5 ·
No one is saying "off the hook!" Lifetime is stupid. The man wants to race in local events and what not, big deal!! 2 years and he is done. Ruining lives, blackmail, etc in NOT under UCI or WADA authority. man doped, got caught and lets move on.
What is this? Its my ball and I am going home?

Again, why professional cycling is a farce to the general public.

#13 ·
Greg isn't bitter, he's correct, and he has as much right to state what he thinks as anyone.

It's not like he brought it up, either. A journalist asked his opinion and he gave it to him.

#14 ·
I completely agree with LeMomd - the lifetime ban for LA is entirely fitting. I don't believe there has been an individual who was more destructive for professional cycling than LA. The sport is better without him anywhere near it. The best he could do with a return is to creative undesirable controversy that would detract further from the image of the sport. Imagine what it would be like in any event if he were to actually emerge as a contender.

If LA actually has even a single cell's worth of respect for the sport, and human decency, he would choose to stay as far away as possible.

#17 ·
Maybe you can fit yourself in the box? Because if he can use the tampax I'm sure he could use you, too.

#16 ·
Greg LeMond was an extremely talented cyclist, obviously.
Greg LeMond was an innovator within cycling.
Greg LeMond makes one hell of a stationary trainer.

Greg LeMond is not the world's greatest public speaker, and did not have the charisma or back-story that Lance did. For years he couldn't win the public relations war because of this. Now, nobody outside the fringe sport of cycling knows who he is.

Nobody yells "Hey, Greg LeMond" at they pass group rides, and for that he should thank Lance.:wink5:

Lance tried to destroy him, because he questioned the myth. Whether or not he chooses to let that slide is completely up to Greg. I'm sure he'd rather never talk about Lance again, and instead talk about his own career and projects.

If I was in his shoes, I'd be a hater.

#18 · (Edited)
Don't forget there was major politics going on behind the scenes with LA and Trek vs. LeMond bikes which Trek owned and LeMond received reasonable comensation for, ie his livlihood at the time.

LA was instrumental in gettting Trek to drop LeMond bikes. - I'd be pissed off big time. This probably took a portion of the 10 years LeMond is referring to.

Further LeMond was sidelined from appearances / speaking engagments etc. Another financial route for major athletes. He has a right to be pissed. If I were LeMond I'd would not want to deal with LA for any reason.

#19 ·
I think that Greg needs to go get some more "Iron Injections"

PS. 1) If a person needs Iron Injections, they are too sick to be racing bikes.
2) Unlike oral supplements, iron injections need to be administered at a hospital, clinic or doctor’s office by a trained professional, not some clown who gives you a rub down.
3) Iron injections don't work overnight. Anyone who believes this has problems with reality. It takes time to build red blood cells.

a public resource for anemia information

#22 ·
It is unfortunate that people still ask Greg about him.
It's not like he brought it up, either. A journalist asked his opinion and he gave it to him.
Greg was asked his opinion and he gave it. I support that regardless of what his opinion may be.
So he's a victim of the reporters too?

LOL

It would be much easier for me to respect LeMond if he just said, "I have moved on with my life and am not interested in talking about Armstrong any more. Thanks." Or more simply, "No comment."

He reminds me of the girls who post on facebook every detail of their breakup. Then they post that they have moved on after the breakup. And then the next week they post again about how their ex was rude for kissing his new girlfriend in public. And it just drags on and on.

#28 ·
Yeah because if somebody ruins your business and takes away your livelihood by lying about you the thing to do is just shrug your shoulders and move on.

#24 ·
Isn't he also a victim of Miguel Indurain??

Going from 10th 90 to 1st in 91 must have been a shock to poor Greg.

#31 ·
For a few years there I felt like putting tape over the "LeMond" decals on my LeMond OCLV. But now, it's fine the way it is.

Too bad Trek dropped LeMond from the LA/Trek spat. Lemond has alot to be bitter about. But time has passed on .. if ppl would just stop asking him questions about it he can forget about it.

#48 · (Edited)
No, not EPO. Just "Iron injections".....wink, wink.

https://www.facebook.com/2Rmag/posts/534227359949423

Funny, Lemond claims that the "Iron injections" fired him up right away.
They don't work like that. Iron injections need to be given by a doctor, or in a hospital, and are given in the arm (not the butt), or by IV infusion.
The iron infused helps the bone marrow produce red blood cells. These red blood cells do not pop up overnight. They take weeks to produce. If a person is so deficient of iron that he need an infusion (or a shot), he couldn't be racing bikes.
There are "other" products that can be infused (back in 1989) that can get your red blood count up overnight.

a public resource for anemia information

PS. What is the ethical difference between "Iron Injections" and EPO?

They both produce red blood cells.

#50 ·
PS. What is the ethical difference between "Iron Injections" and EPO?

They both produce red blood cells.
One will take you from 40 to 40.5 and the other will take you from 40 to 65. Better lay off the spinich

Good interview though

G
greg: I’ve never had an IV, never believed you needed it – that’s where Köchli was really good but also I did my own research and unless you are on the verge of death and heat exhaustion, there is no reason to have an IV, zero reason.

There is a huge culture of the needle in cycling.
Greg: Well, they all took Vitamin B12 shots…I mean, who knows what else they took.

You never succumbed?
Greg: Never. I took a multi-vitamin if I remembered to take a multi-vitamin...It might be every six weeks.
I remember my first year pro at the team presentation, my wife was sitting with Jonathan Boyer’s wife, and Jonathan Boyer’s wife said ‘Well now that Greg’s pro, he’s going to have to take drugs.’ And my wife’s like ‘What! He’s not going to take drugs. He’d rather quit.’ And she got up and said ‘You are so ****ing naïve…you are a stupid naïve *****.’

Kathy: Yes, I do recall that. It shocked me. I don’t remember if she called me a ***** but she did go off on me that I was ‘f’ing naïve.’ I also responded that, ‘We agreed that Greg isn’t going to use drugs. He’ll ride pro until he is 23 and if he can’t make it we’ll go home.’

#51 ·
Never mentioned EPO. I'm talking blood doping.

The way Lamond did his "Iron Injections" couldn't have worked the way it did.

Do you have any medical information to show that it could have???

Armstrong haters say the strangest things.

I'll wait on your medical expertise.

#52 ·
Are you saying the Greg only cheated a little.....and that's OK, or are you saying that it's not cheating if you only cheat a little.

#53 ·
For my part, I'm saying that walking away from the biggest contract in pro cycling because he felt his team was pressuring him to take testosterone speaks volumes. That actually happened, unlike the **** you're insinuating.

#54 ·
You are making no sense. Iron supplements are not against the rules and it appears you have never raced a bike.

LeMond was no donkey who could not finish the Tour, he had already won it. He was recognized as the greatest natural talent the sport had ever seen. It took him a while to recover from the gunshot wounds and even when he did he was a shadow of his former self.

So Greg took EPO so he could be slower then he was in 86? :idea:

#55 ·
1. Blood doping is the use of any specified technique (e.g. EPO, transfusion, etc.) to artificially increase RBC. The use of EPO to boost RBC is considered blood doping.

2. Most likely attribution of LeMond's recovery to unspecified "iron injections" (there are multiple possibilities here) is misplaced for reasons you cite. The iron injections were mostly likely not significant in his recovery, but they may have had a placebo effect.

#56 ·
"it appears you have never raced a bike."

I've been racing bikes for 30 years (a week from Sunday is the first race of the year)........How about you??????

For the second time, I never said that Lemond took EPO in that race. Taking EPO is just as slow as "Iron Injections" to take effect. What I am saying (for the third time) is that he use Blood doping ie (a transfusion of his own blood) to boost his red blood cell count. Real iron injections would not have helped him at all because it takes time for your body to build your hematocrit level.

Let's go back and imagine that Lemond took some "Super" iron, that transformed his body almost overnight. It seems to me that you don't feel that this practice would be unethical even though it is an artificial way to increase your hematocrit to god knows what. (maybe he even beat Mr 60%)

What is your professional opinion Doctor???

#57 ·
The use of transfusions is also considered blood doping. (in 89-90 EPO use was just starting......and also killing people)

A placebo effect can't turn a donkey into a race horse...
(you will admit that he was riding like a donkey before his "iron shots", won't you???)

#58 ·
The use of transfusions is also considered blood doping.
I think I noted that, didn't I?

A placebo effect can't turn a donkey into a race horse...
(you will admit that he was riding like a donkey before his "iron shots", won't you???)
Sure it can, when the actual cause / effect includes a consideration of things like hemodilution, etc. that regularly occurs with athletic anemia (aka sports anemia) that is common with endurance athletes.

I'm not defending LeMond - I'm in no position to do so. The point is you have jumped to a conclusion without any supporting evidence. You don't have to like or respect LeMond. But you have nothing credible with which to assert he cheated, doped, etc., in any way. When you have something more than two connected dots (ignoring the large white space in between), then bring it. Until then your conclusion can't rationally be drawn from the facts you cite.

#59 ·
Just that iron shots could not have helped him, nor could a placebo effect.

What does that leave????....Magic beans????

If it walks like a duck.........

#101 ·
Still burning the midnight oil down in the department of making **** up, I see.

#60 ·
It's been over a hour since the "Doctor" make the "throw down" slam ..

I've been waiting for him to answer my question if he did....He's been on line here for the last hour, so he's had lots of time to respond.
It's no big deal if he doesn't race, or even if he doesn't even have a bike. You know how the internet is.........

I'm waiting.......Doctor??

#62 ·
It's been over a hour since the "Doctor" make the "throw down" slam ..

I've been waiting for him to answer my question if he did....He's been on line here for the last hour, so he's had lots of time to respond.
It's no big deal if he doesn't race, or even if he doesn't even have a bike. You know how the internet is.........

I'm waiting.......Doctor??
Haha,

First bike race was over 30 years ago. Lived, and raced, in Europe for 6 years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.