Thread: lance?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007

lance?

I saw that lance was around showing us all that he was not dead

and I got to wondering what ever happened to that guy. Anyone know if he is going to jail?

Then I remembered this bit. I don't like lance and I hope he goes to jail.

It's just funny
    Training and techniques will make you suffer slightly faster up hills, not suffer any less.
    Guy Wilson-Roberts

What the what???
    I turned in my yacht.
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - MLK

RoadBikeReview Member
    don't care
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by go do it View Post
    ....Anyone know if he is going to jail?
    I never remember reading an article or hearing any conversation regarding jail.

The lawsuits are all about $$$.

Why would you think he may go to jail?

RoadBikeReview Member
    The fact that many people believe that Lance raised money for cancer research is enough of a reason to vilify him. Raising money for cancer awareness is the same as saying, please send us money to advertise about cancer.

We aren't going to spend the majority of the money to help find treatments or cures, we're just going to spend it on more ads and fundraising. We will purposely allow you to think we are spending it on research, so you will continue to give money.

Thanks Bill Burr for unknowingly helping to illustrate this point.

RoadBikeReview Member
    With all these recent stories about famous atheletes and cyclists being hit by drivders makes me wonder....if L*nc* *rmstr*ng were to ride wearing a jersey with just his name on the back......how long would he survive?
    I'm upping my standards;
    Up yours!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    He just got engaged. I wonder if he needs performance enhancing drugs in bed in order to be good?

Carbon riding Luddite
    Oct 2013
    The false death story actually brought a smile to the face of Betsy the Witch. Poor Frankie was sent out in the dead of night in his Hincapie limited edition house slippers looking for an open liquor store to buy champagne. Betsy was so pissed the next day when the liquor store refused to refund HER money for the returned bubbly that she made Frankie wash and wax her broom.

The Slow One.
    I'm sure you intended that to be funny and I can only hope I'll be able to understand the artful and nuanced humor one day.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    I like Lance and always enjoyed watching the races during that era. Lance, Ulrich, Rees, Bolaki, Zabel, Cipo etc. Yeah I may have miss spelled a few.

Banned forever.....or not
    Armstrong was the best cheater.....Ever. (and a professional jerk). His case comes up on 11/6/17.......The idea of him "cheating" the Postal Service is Hilarious.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_GRUMPY View Post
    Armstrong was the best cheater.....Ever. (and a professional jerk)....s.
    That's a bit mild, even for Mr. Grumpy. I'd start at calling him a "professional dooshbag", then go from there. Maybe a national disgrace? But then, we've become complacent about 'national disgraces' lately.....
    I'm upping my standards;
    Up yours!

Banned forever.....or not
    How many other cheating Athletes have been asked to pay back sponsorship money? Are any of the other riders who didn't cheat as well as him in this situation????
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Were there any others who ACTIVELY sought out lawsuits against those who pointed out the obvious (that there was no other way on earth to get those kinds of bloodwork numbers)? Then collected multi-million dollar settlements, all the while doubling-down on the fiction that they had NEVER doped?
    I'm upping my standards;
    Up yours!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Were there any others who ACTIVELY sought out lawsuits against those who pointed out the obvious (that there was no other way on earth to get those kinds of bloodwork numbers)? Then collected multi-million dollar settlements, all the while doubling-down on the fiction that they had NEVER doped?
    How does that apply to the Landis'/the US Government case? Prior behavior should not be a factor in that case. It's whether or not the US Postal Service as defrauded or not.
    "When the spirits are low, when the day appears dark, when work becomes monotonous, when hope hardly seems worth having, just mount a bicycle and go out for a spin down the road, without thought on anything but the ride you are taking." -- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Cannot bench own weight
    I did not like Lance during his heyday. I'm sure in these very forums I have vilified him in the past.

However, since his coming out party, I have listened to various interviews he's given (Joe Rogan, Howard Stern), and I also now listen to his weekly podcast. To me, he seems to be humbled, though I would not say so much repentant to the doping.

It actually makes some bit of sense, because one thing I have always thought is that while he may have doped, so was everyone else, and it was a level, if elevated, playing field.

It's pretty clear from his podcast that he is still in demand and has quite a following.
    77th highest post count as of 9/4/2008

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Einstruzende View Post

It actually makes some bit of sense, because one thing I have always thought is that while he may have doped, so was everyone else, and it was a level, if elevated, playing field.
    I think that has been pretty much the idea in many sports. I think that many of the people running and promoting the sports were aware but, hey it is good for fans and the ratings. Reminds me of:

The Slow One.
    Quote Originally Posted by Einstruzende View Post
    We've been over and over this here, but to recap:

The level playing field doesn't exist, even in a "clean" world.

If everyone is completely clean, some people will have certain advantages based on training, genetics, and other factors.

Add in doping, and some people respond better to the methods than others, gaining an advantage over their natural genetic superiors. Some people have better doctors than others. Some have different levels they're willing to go to improve performance through doping. Some are protected by systems, teams, or agencies. Read Tyler Hamilton's book. "The Secret Race" for an idea of how it worked in the "Lance Era".

In other words, doping is not a uniform concept that results in the same improvement for everyone. It doesn't level the playing field, it skews it even worse.

The general consensus is Lance would have never won a single Tour without doping. As it turns out, he didn't win one with doping. As for what he could have achieved clean, we'll never know, because the whole era was skewed. He wasn't a victim of the system and circumstances, he was the apex of the culture- the right physiology, the right determination to succeed, the right ruthlessness, and the right back story at the perfect time for it all to come together.

Lance is courting public opinion before his case comes up, trying to manipulate the narrative like he always did.

Get me to In&Out
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    With all these recent stories about famous atheletes and cyclists being hit by drivders makes me wonder....if L*nc* *rmstr*ng were to ride wearing a jersey with just his name on the back......how long would he survive?
    WTF are you babbling about? Much like Kathy Griffin found out, there is a line that separates humor from not appropriate. You seem to be very bitter about something that did not affect you in any way. Unfortunately, you joined the forum a little too late. Six years ago you would have had lots of people dog pile on with you here. Now it is just tired and played out. Please see post below to catch up on the end state of over a decade of this hate.
    Cyclists really need to learn a little Rule #5.