RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010

Lance Freudian Slip?

In the hospital/Betsy/UCI donation discussion. After talking about the donation and Lance denying it was for overlooking any failed tests he said something like "the only one there would be was from the tour d' swiss... " and then quickly switched gears. So, the only test that was positive and therefore needed to be overlooked was from the tour d' Swiss?

RoadBikeReview Member
    I noticed that too. I wish Oprah would have called him on it.
    Perception is 9/10 of the law.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2003

Lance Freudian Slip?

Just seconds earlier he stated that he never had tested positive in response to another question. I thought this a clear contradiction.

Special guest
    Tyler H had said there was a + test of LA, covered up from the Tour D' Suisse, but Lance denied it on Oprah.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm glad you mentioned that. I don't have a DVR and didn't record it, but I thought he referenced the TdS as a failed test.

He clearly repeated "never failed a test" but then admitted to having a prescription back dated to clear another failed test.

Oh the tangled web we weave when we first we practice to deceive!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by InfiniteLoop View Post
    In the hospital/Betsy/UCI donation discussion. After talking about the donation and Lance denying it was for overlooking any failed tests he said something like "the only one there would be was from the tour d' swiss... " and then quickly switched gears. So, the only test that was positive and therefore needed to be overlooked was from the tour d' Swiss?
    From the transcript I below, he said that he failed it retroactively, so at the time, he wouldn't have needed to pay them off since it would have come back clean.....however, it caught my attention during the interview as well.

OW: You said dozens of times in interviews you never failed a test. Do you have a different answer today?
    LA: "No I didn't fail a test. Retroactively, I failed one. The hundreds of tests I took, I passed them. There was retroactive stuff later on."
    OW: What about the Tour de Suisse [in 2001]?
    LA: "That story isn't true. There was no positive test. No paying off of the lab. The UCI did not make that go away. I'm no fan of the UCI.
    OW: You made a donation to the UCI and said that donation was about helping anti-doping efforts. Obviously it was not. Why did you make that donation?
    LA: "It was not in exchange for help. They called and said they didn't have a lot of money - I did. They asked if I would make a donation so I did."

Lance Armstrong's interview with Oprah Winfrey: the transcript - Telegraph

Anphaque II
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ctxcrossx View Post
    From the transcript I below, he said that he failed it retroactively, so at the time, he wouldn't have needed to pay them off since it would have come back clean.....however, it caught my attention during the interview as well.

OW: You said dozens of times in interviews you never failed a test. Do you have a different answer today?
    LA: "No I didn't fail a test. Retroactively, I failed one. The hundreds of tests I took, I passed them. There was retroactive stuff later on."
    LA: "That story isn't true. There was no positive test. No paying off of the lab. The UCI did not make that go away. I'm no fan of the UCI.

OW: You made a donation to the UCI and said that donation was about helping anti-doping efforts. Obviously it was not. Why did you make that donation?
    LA: "It was not in exchange for help. They called and said they didn't have a lot of money - I did. They asked if I would make a donation so I did."

Lance Armstrong's interview with Oprah Winfrey: the transcript - Telegraph
    Oh, the conflict of interest here.

It is absolutely amazing.
    America's greatest threat: Congressional liberal Democrats

Crimes Against Humanity: The History of The Democrat Party

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by multirider View Post
    I'm glad you mentioned that. I don't have a DVR and didn't record it, but I thought he referenced the TdS as a failed test.

He clearly repeated "never failed a test" but then admitted to having a prescription back dated to clear another failed test.

Oh the tangled web we weave when we first we practice to deceive!!!
    It was cortisone, which is great for performance. It was prescribed for a saddle sore. This is pre (well and post) EPO magic. Again he stated he raced clean, he didn't, and still lying.

RoadBikeReview Member
    So as long as the winners share their winnings with the UCI, that's how doping continues. Daaaaaamnnnn. We should be investigating the UCI.

Fly on a windshield
    Quote Originally Posted by ctxcrossx View Post

other than the purest form of conflict of interest, no one else see the contradiction in the bold faced statements above?
    God gave up this world, its people long ago.....Peter Gabriel 1971

Back from the dead
    Quote Originally Posted by MG537 View Post
    other than the purest form of conflict of interest, no one else see the contradiction in the bold faced statements above?
    I think way too much is made of this. Wasn't he retired when they asked for the money? And if it was a payoff, the amount was ridiculously small. That's the part that never made sense to me. If they were covering up something for him, his secret was worth a LOT more than that. Barely six figures??? That was pocket change for Armstrong.

Also, you're ignoring the fact that these things happened 6 years apart. He says he's not a fan of the UCI now. Then it might have been a different story.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mohair_chair View Post
    I think way too much is made of this. Wasn't he retired when they asked for the money? And if it was a payoff, the amount was ridiculously small. That's the part that never made sense to me. If they were covering up something for him, his secret was worth a LOT more than that. Barely six figures??? That was pocket change for Armstrong.

Also, you're ignoring the fact that these things happened 6 years apart. He says he's not a fan of the UCI now. Then it might have been a different story.
    No, he obfuscated over the dates. He paid UCI while he was still racing, not after he retired.

Anphaque II
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireform View Post
    No, he obfuscated over the dates. He paid UCI while he was still racing, not after he retired.
    Exactly.

I believe the 'donation' was made in '03 or '04.

This is just one example why I believe Pharmstrong's lawyers probably begged him not to do the 'confession' interview. Not only did he fail miserably at coming across as actually wanting to confess and tell all, he lied during the interview and several points were brought up that were either buried or not talked about much. One of those points was the 'donation'.

And contrast that with the USADA turning down an unsolicited donation at about the same time from the Pharmstrong camp.

More than just the cycling world were watching this because Oprah was interviewing!

Back from the dead
    Quote Originally Posted by cda 455 View Post
    I believe the 'donation' was made in '03 or '04.
    According to this article, there were two donations. The big one came after he was retired.

McQuaid Reveals Armstrong Made Two Donations To The UCI | Cyclingnews.com

"Armstrong said he paid $25,000 but I also knew he paid $100,000,” he added. “There was other speculation about amounts but they were way out. We've now found out exactly what was donated by looking at our records in detail. They show that Lance, in May 2002, paid a personal cheque, signed by himself and his wife, for $25,000. That went into the funds of what was then the Anti-Doping Council. They decide to use the money for anti-doping tests on juniors, to separate it from Armstrong, because he was racing at the time. We have record of the four or five races where special tests were done. It was all budgeted and paid for.

"Then in 2005, just at the time Armstrong retired, he promised $100,000. At that time we needed a Sysmex machine, so we ordered it and we paid for it based on the pledge he had made. Why it took him so long to eventually pay up I don't know, you'd have to ask him. It came from his company CSE. And the fact that the $100,000 came from CSE explains to me why he said $25,000. He may not have directly known about the later $100,000 donation."

Anphaque II
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mohair_chair View Post
    According to this article, there were two donations. The big one came after he was retired.

McQuaid Reveals Armstrong Made Two Donations To The UCI | Cyclingnews.com
    Ah; Clarification! Thanks!

Even though it looks like they have the 'donations' covered, it still stinks to high heaven of conflict of interest. Totally inappropriate.