RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2004

Leadville should strip LA too

Its David Wein that should have 7 straight Leadville win! I know the chances are low but is it possible? DW went up against dopers and still beat them. I know people may think he could have doped too but it's hard to believe since he and Susan can't afford the drugs.

always right sometimes
    Quote Originally Posted by WAZCO View Post
    Its David Wein that should have 7 straight Leadville win! I know the chances are low but is it possible? DW went up against dopers and still beat them. I know people may think he could have doped too but it's hard to believe since he and Susan can't afford the drugs.
    The idea of co-founder/operator Ken Chlouber doing this is not something I would bet on...

Get me to In&Out
    A non-USAC race...I wouldn't count on it either. USADA has zero jurisdiction, and Lance sells tickets even though he was cought. To a race promoter, it isn't always about doing the right thing, just the thing that gets you money.
    Cyclists really need to learn a little Rule #5.

Team Tom's
    I do wonder what Wein's thoughts on it all are.

I want my money back from "Race Across The Sky." I had suspicions at the time of watching that flick...

always right sometimes
    Quote Originally Posted by MaddSkillz View Post
    I do wonder what Wein's thoughts on it all are.

I want my money back from "Race Across The Sky." I had suspicions at the time of watching that flick...
    Wait, you need to just "believe" man! LA could have easily done what he did (flat with 7 miles to go and still crush the competition with no air in his tires the whole way to the finish line)

Argh. I am interested to know if Weins is a dopey dope too... hope not..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rydbyk View Post
    The idea of co-founder/operator Ken Chlouber doing this is not something I would bet on...

This. Chlouber is a huge fanboy. Choulber also let in Armstrong's friends so Armstrong could draft behind them for the first part of the race.

Lifetime Fitness does not seem to have better morals than Choulber. They let Armstrong race a Leadville qualifier race after he was banned. I would not be surprised to see Armstrong race Leadville next year.

Leipheimer should be stripped as well. At least Landis put on a good show that ended with Wiens getting his glory.

RoadBikeReview Member
    For better or worse, LA put Leadville on the map (along with Chris McDougall) and got Chlouber a hefty paycheck from Lifetime when he sold everything to them. Before that, the Leadville MTB100 and LT100 run were solid events but not well known outside of their respective circles.

I seriously doubt that Lifetime could strip LA of his title since there was no testing or anything about doping in the race entry form. I'm guessing the Armstrong/Wiens relationship might be a little strained if they happen to cross paths and they may not be best pals anymore. Wiens, by the way, still promotes himself as beating both LA and Landis in the two LV MTB100 races before Race Across the Sky.

I can't imagine citizen Wiens juicing up for the neighborhood LV MTB100 race but racer Wiens did spend time in Europe and he is married to a 1996 Olympics MTB medalist. Don't wanna think about it.

Ride fast & dangerous
    He lives in Gunnison - he's a doper but more sensory than performance enhancing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by american psycho View Post
    He lives in Gunnison - he's a doper but more sensory than performance enhancing.
    Gunnison, home of "Wasted State" University?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Lance's win there came right after he had tour legs..dopping or not he would dominate compared to his previous attempt at winning. When lance first tried l'ville he said that was the longest ride he'd done in like a year. his second attempt he was primed for it...even dave admitted it. Also, there's no way that ken tested at that race so there's no proof that he doped and no reason to pull it..k'mon people

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MHeye View Post
    Lance's win there came right after he had tour legs..dopping or not he would dominate compared to his previous attempt at winning. When lance first tried l'ville he said that was the longest ride he'd done in like a year. his second attempt he was primed for it...even dave admitted it. Also, there's no way that ken tested at that race so there's no proof that he doped and no reason to pull it..k'mon people
    Tour legs built from adaptation due to PED's.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by woodys737 View Post
    Tour legs built from adaptation due to PED's.
    Will Routley's article had the interesting point that even after a suspension is served, a rider might still retain some of the advantages they gained from doping. He's probably right, although it also assumes that the rider stopped doping.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by spade2you View Post
    Will Routley's article had the interesting point that even after a suspension is served, a rider might still retain some of the advantages they gained from doping. He's probably right, although it also assumes that the rider stopped doping.
    Lifetime adaptations no less! Wonder if true. I suppose capillary bed development is capillary bed development etc...Here's what he said:

Originally stated by Will Routley: "I find it very hard to believe that every doper out there suddenly decides to quit on his own accord, and I also object to the idea that even if this were true, the rider is now "clean"," Routley wrote. "This person has taken his body way farther than what is naturally possible, and has lifelong adaptations to this, so even if he were no longer on drugs, he would in all likelihood still hold an unfair advantage."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by woodys737 View Post
    Lifetime adaptations no less! Wonder if true. I suppose capillary bed development is capillary bed development etc...Here's what he said:
    I think he's probably right because it's probably possible to maintain the form gained from doping, but I wouldn't call it definitive since guys like The Chicken and DiLuca weren't much after their suspensions, assuming they were clean post-suspension.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by spade2you View Post
    I think he's probably right because it's probably possible to maintain the form gained from doping, but I wouldn't call it definitive since guys like The Chicken and DiLuca weren't much after their suspensions, assuming they were clean post-suspension.
    Probably true but maybe those guys never deserved to be anywhere near where they rode even after suspension.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thirstyman View Post
    Probably true but maybe those guys never deserved to be anywhere near where they rode even after suspension.
    Deserve or not, it seems that guys like Contador didn't skip a beat, guys like Basso took a while to be back 100%, and others simply weren't much after they took away the special sauce.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Late to this party, but was Levi's win stripped? IIRC he still has the record.