Man, I'm Awesome

Miguel Indurain at TDF awards

What was Miguel doing at the TDF awards ceremony. Why hasn't he been stripped of his titles yet? Just a little strange to me.
    "I like to ride my bicycle." - Lance Armstrong -

Pencil of death
    Quote Originally Posted by brianmcg View Post
    What was Miguel doing at the TDF awards ceremony. Why hasn't he been stripped of his titles yet? Just a little strange to me.
    He hasn't been stripped because there is no conclusive proof that he doped to get all his victories.

He may or may not have doped, but if there is no evidence, no failed tests sitting in a vault, no passport data waiting to be looked at by a fresh set of eyes, no former teammates coming forward - his titles stay.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. He will only drag you down to his level and beat you on experience." (Twain)

"1/2 of you are wrong and the other .5 are incorrect!" (FlynG)

"Taking crazy things seriously is a serious waste of time." (Murakami)

Great. Jock sniffing is now foreign policy analysis. Awesome.

Teach me how to Bucky
    Mig tested positive for Albuterol (the asthma drug) in the 1990s. It was banned in France but not by the IOC and UCI so he was not sanctioned.
    "Why don't these people grow up, bicycles are for children, & trained animals. Get off the roads, and you won't get run over. These freaks with their space clothes speeding down the streets hit people all the time. I won't drive in your bike lane, you stay the hell off the road." Mervin Bell of Galloway, OH.

-Special thanks to osteomark for the avatar

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    Because by all accounts he's a nice guy and nobody in Spain wants to go after him. Plus I think it's too late to strip him of his titles anyway. It's all but a certainty he doped to achieve them, so that is really besides the point.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I would have given more than a penny for LeMond's thoughts, sitting next to him in the celebrity car.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
    He hasn't been stripped because there is no conclusive proof that he doped to get all his victories.

He may or may not have doped, but if there is no evidence, no failed tests sitting in a vault, no passport data waiting to be looked at by a fresh set of eyes, no former teammates coming forward - his titles stay.
    Hmm...sounds eerily familiar with one Wonderboy.........Miggy has also dodged years of questions surrounding it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    I'm a "little" surprised they invited him with somewhat recent allegations about him.
    What's almost more-funny is Eddy goes year after year and he was popped a couple of times for cheating and who's to say the years he "won" that he just didn't get lucky and not test hot???

Let's all just never forget that the Tour has virtually always been about guy's that cheat.
    - It (cheating) started way back in the 3rd edition.

Regardless, it's great to watch and this year was certainly no exception. Remember, it's "spectacle", not "sport" anymore and that pretty much goes for ALL pro sports.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne Barry View Post
    Because by all accounts he's a nice guy and nobody in Spain wants to go after him. Plus I think it's too late to strip him of his titles anyway. It's all but a certainty he doped to achieve them, so that is really besides the point.

Being a nice guy doesn't exclude him from being a doper. I get what you're saying, but he should be popped too, regardless of SOL

Man, I'm Awesome
    So apparently being a nice guy gets you off the hook. I was just surprised that the organizers wanted any type of connection to someone from that era of cycling.
    "I like to ride my bicycle." - Lance Armstrong -

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    It is not strange. There is no process to strip Miguel of his titles. He never signed the WADA code, it came in place after he retired.

For decades cycling has poorly enforced itself. This led to the creation of WADA. They have done an excellent job and the sport has changed dramatically in the last 5 years. Overstepping their mandate would only damage their creditably

RoadBikeReview Member
    Who cares if he tested positive or not. Does anyone truly believe that he wasn't doping?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    Plus, unlike Lance, he never burned bridges with his teammates, the press, or support staff by screwing them over or bullying them, thereby ensuring their long term silence. I can't help but believe that if Lance wasn't such a narcissistic a-hole, he'd still have his 7 titles and would have been sitting next to Mig.