Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

Question for the active racers

No, not trolling. I do request responses from those who have raced at least in the last 2 years or plan on starting. Not that I don't appreciate non-racers.....

Has this incident made you not want to race? Would you boycott sanctioned races?

There is zero change to my plans and I don't plan on racing any less. I heard some local guys claim they were going to only do unsanctioned races, but I don't know how likely they were to race USAC since I didn't really see them much before that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    No. Still going to race. I work my ass off and it's kind of my outlet from the insanity at work. I have a pretty wide network of guys I know who don't plan on doing anything different either. I just heard a rumor that our region (Arizona) is considering paying $6000 to fund 10 random drug tests. I don't have any other details but I hope they fund it and fully support the effort.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I kinda wonder if Nebraska will do any testing. I kinda doubt it, but don't really think anyone is using EPO. Possibly testosterone as much as the TV suggests replacing "low t".

Hopefully if they do testing, they'll allow me to pee before the race when I have nervous bladder. ;)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by spade2you View Post
    I kinda wonder if Nebraska will do any testing. I kinda doubt it, but don't really think anyone is using EPO. Possibly testosterone as much as the TV suggests replacing "low t".

Hopefully if they do testing, they'll allow me to pee before the race when I have nervous bladder. ;)
    I bet there's more guys on testosterone and maybe steroids than people want to believe. I've heard of too many down here and it really pisses me off. I simply can not understand why they do it? Fing douchbags.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I hear rumors of every kind of substance use down here in south Florida and it pisses me off too. I wonder if some of the brawling that goes on in the pelotons of cash races are t-fueled. No effect on me, as I ride strictly paniagua (and caffeine).
    Arguments among misinformed people do not constitute a "debate."
    --Kerry Irons

"Atheism is a religion like not collecting stamps is a hobby."
    --BianchiJoe

Cervelo S3/Dura Ace
    Felt B2Pro/SRAM
    Cannondale CAAD10/105

Bikes make girls hotter!
    Oct 2011
    Yep I have raced and am doing it in 2013. Nope I'm not bothered in any way about the possible testing. Ha I don't even drink, bring on the pee cups!
    It is pretty much safe to assume I have no idea what I'm doing and that I need more fixing than my bike!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    Have raced for the past 3 years, more seriously last year, and I don't plan on stopping. It would be a shame if this whole situation kills amateur racing in the US.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    Supposed testing in NYC next year! I'm psyched! I can't wait to see which douchy 40+ doctors stop showing up.

I would have raced either way. Doping is what it is and you kinda assume certain people aren't on the straight and narrow. I've had my success and my failures don't have a lot to do with how doped up someone else is. Heck! I even beat that David Anthony creep a few times.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    I'll go ahead and be Mr. Clueless.

Which incident?

For me, racing is something I do because I enjoy it, it gives some rhythm and meaning to my season, and it gives me something specific to try to be better at. I like to think that I'm not lining up with people who are cheating, but it's hard for me to imagine something other than, say, a lot of locals getting caught that would really demotivate me.

always right sometimes
    I race and I will continue to race regardless of the current situation in pro cycling. I don't think there is much that the amateur racer is going to be able to do now to change the sport to make it cleaner in the Pro Peleton. The whole idea of not purchasing a license like Greg Lemond recommended is just plain silly. I am NOT going to punish myself because of others wrong doings.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by woodys737 View Post
    I bet there's more guys on testosterone and maybe steroids than people want to believe. I've heard of too many down here and it really pisses me off. I simply can not understand why they do it? Fing douchbags.
    It's easier than working for it, and you can get faster, a lot quicker!! I bet I get pulled to be tested, since I have that kind of luck!! You racing the "Valley of the Sun" stage race in Feb.

Bikes make girls hotter!
    Oct 2011
    I know a female racer with a pretty decent mustache. Wonder if they will test her.:shrug:
    It is pretty much safe to assume I have no idea what I'm doing and that I need more fixing than my bike!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2007
    I race in oregon, don't need a USA license. Would love to see the US cycling authority shaken up given their connection to Armstrong
    ...cat 5 race...not a lot of experience...sometimes skewed thinking and beliefs...

RoadBikeReview Member
    No but I race mostly mountain bikes. And my races are mostly not sanctioned. I do want to do mountain bike Nats. next year so I guess I will be beeing in a cup. Im no pro I don't think dope is a real problem at my leveal. Im vary compedtive with all the guys I'm racing with. Any one of us can win on any given day.

Velocipediologist
    Quote Originally Posted by spade2you;4190778Has [B
    this incident[/B] made you not want to race? Would you boycott sanctioned races?
    By "this incident", you mean the investigation by USADA? and all of the other fall out?

I can't begin to fathom how that would make me / make us not want to race locally in sanctioned races. So I'm to punish myself for the misdeeds of the pro's?

Is there some underground movement that is going to rise up against the local race promoters?
    And the objective would be what? Try and cripple USAC?

We have local dopers, everyone knows who they are. Their time is coming.

vexatious enigma
    No, not at all. I will still be racing all the elite level races I raced last season and plan to add more on. I will not boycott USADA, WADA, or USAC for going after dopers.

Ive raced against past dopers. I have no use in suspecting that they are doping now. I don't want to become cynical and suspect everyone that is winning a race over me is doping. If they get caught Ill then get pissed at them. Becoming cynical will only succeed in ruining the sport I take so much joy in.

Sh!tty god awful stuff happened. Lets learn from it, improve the sport and move on with our lives.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio
    Unlike Roebuck, you do "do" people.
    Maybe Judas did it for a Klondike bar.

Life in the fast lane with no brakes

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kevhogaz View Post
    It's easier than working for it, and you can get faster, a lot quicker!! I bet I get pulled to be tested, since I have that kind of luck!! You racing the "Valley of the Sun" stage race in Feb.
    I can't understand why in terms of the long term negative health aspects...

If you are pulled to test that means you won, so if clean more power to you! I don't think random means pick any entrant and test. Only the winners I assume.

No to VOS. I was selected to be a chaperone for my kids 6th grade trip to Catalina Island that week end. Hopefully TBC and some other out of state races fit into my schedule though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    Ive raced in the same races as guys that tested poz for test here in Radelaide Australia and in Belgium.

Doesnt piss me off at all cos its a choice everyone has. I don't even race with caffeine. I race for health and fitness vs thrashing my adrenals.
    Over 270 000km cycled as a vegan...

My youtube channel
    http://www.youtube.com/user/durianriders?feature=mhee

My facebook page
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Durian...97363716986830

RoadBikeReview Member
    Bring on the piss cup! What page is the banned substance in the handbook?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    Which incident?
    Some n00b named Lance or something. I think he rides a Trek

Quote Originally Posted by woodys737 View Post
    In their defense, I think the medical community seems to be pushing it. I'm a hospital pharmacist and part of my job involves medication histories. I'm seeing a lot more supplemental testosterone use than I did 4-5 years ago. Granted, I can honestly say that the guys aren't racers. Seems to be a lot more common on guys 50+.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    I don't race anymore because there aren't any races where I live but...

I came to the (correct) conclusion years ago about what was going on in cycling and it didn't impact my desire to race one iota.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by kevhogaz View Post
    I though the only way they "get faster, a lot quicker" is by working harder and more often, which the drugs allow them to do, but you seem to imply that they dont have to work for it.
    Hows that?
    Are you saying that drugs automatically make users "faster, quicker:" because I though drugs give users the ability to work more and harder... which makes them faster, quicker.

Do drugs not "give you the potential, what work you do with it is up to you."?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by yosarian9 View Post
    I though the only way they "get faster, a lot quicker" is by working harder and more often, which the drugs allow them to do, but you seem to imply that they dont have to work for it.
    Hows that?
    Are you saying that drugs automatically make users "faster, quicker:" because I though drugs give users the ability to work more and harder... which makes them faster, quicker.

Do drugs not "give you the potential, what work you do with it is up to you."?
    Is this some PED user sympathy I hear? DRUG TEST THIS MAN AT ONCE! *raises pitch fork*

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by spade2you View Post
    Some n00b named Lance or something. I think he rides a Trek
    Oh, that guy.

He and I race on totally different circuits. Facetiousness aside, he and I do race on totally different circuits. I guess I do wonder some about the degree of drug use and justifiability of the prescriptions going on in my region, but I also wonder if getting into a lot of drug testing in amateur cycling will just blow up USAC. I guess I don't care for USAC per se all that much, but I'd be sad if it killed my local racing scene.

Ya, what ATP said...!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireform View Post
    I hear rumors of every kind of substance use down here in south Florida and it pisses me off too. I wonder if some of the brawling that goes on in the pelotons of cash races are t-fueled. No effect on me, as I ride strictly paniagua (and caffeine).
    Funny you should bring up caffeine. I'm mentoring a friend's son who just started high school and joined the mountain bike team. He says that riders are routinely searched at races (backpacks, jerseys, saddle bags, etc) for anything caffeinated as they consider it a banned substance that kids can buy.

Oh, and by "mentoring", this means I allow him on the Sunday ride, allow my crew to beat the crap out of him with pace, yell at him and make him buy the coffee at the end. We all have to start somewhere... ;o)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast