RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010

Richie Porte Stage 9 Performance Staged?

Anyone else think Porte "cracking" on stage 9 was completely staged? I mean, he pulled like a madman the previous day, drops everyone but Froome badly on the final climb to finish 2nd on top of that - mind you, he not only dropped all the other GC contendors including Contador, Valverde, Cadel, etc, he drops them BADLY, AFTER having pulled extensively... then the next day he's one of the first few non sprinters dropped on what, like the first categorized climb? And all the while he's having this supposed "bad day" he doesn't actually look like he's at his limit or pushing that hard, with more of a casual look on his face. Then in the TT yesterday he puts out a smashing performance again... really makes no sense. I hate to say it, but at this point I'm pretty sure he was instructed by Sky to drop off early to douse suspicion.

They don't want to finish 1st and 2nd in the Tour again for the second year in a row, with yet different riders... I mean what would be the odds? I'm not a statistician, but if you take doping out of the equation, that must be similiar to winning the lottery... of course, doping is in the equation so...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    I see no benefit of him or Sky trying to purposely stage such thing. Nobody stage a bad ride and then comes back with a smashing ride. If anything, it only draws attention, not divert attention. If he and Sky wanted to divert attention, then they could have directed Porte to cool off on that climb, and stroll along easy on the TT.

You do not throw away a 2nd place this early in the TdF so you can hope to "fool" anyone. Yes, while Sky is already being compared to US Postal, but that that poorly staged execution (if indeed it was staged) would not fool anyone.

I notice that when he was dropped, at one point he did try to catch the peloton. This was when he was down about 1'50" or so. He did try, and he did seem appear to be working hard. But it only lasted for about less than 10 minutes until he totally shut it down and cruise. Was that staged? I don't think so. You don't spend that sort of energy yo-yo-ing just because you wanted to stage.

I just think he had a bad day. Maybe nutrition was a little off, maybe legs were hurting a bit. For now, I will call it a bad day. It will be interesting how he will do in the final week.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    Yes, I think so. I read on one of the news sites (and I can't remember where) that Porte was told to sit up after chasing back to within a minute of the lead group.

I also think Froome looked really fresh after his TT effort. Like he took it easy after the last time check.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by JoelS View Post
    Yes, I think so. I read on one of the news sites (and I can't remember where) that Porte was told to sit up after chasing back to within a minute of the lead group.

I also think Froome looked really fresh after his TT effort. Like he took it easy after the last time check.
    Unfortunately, I think you're right. The only difference between Froome/Sky and Ricco/Saunier Duval is that Froome didn't turn around and smile as he rode up the mountain on Stage 8. Lance was way smarter/controlling. He never allowed himself or his teammates to destroy the field. Landis couldn't resist after he joined Phonak, destroyed the field in Stage 17 of the 2006 TDF, and was immediately caught.

If it looks too good to be true...
    I got six Cadillacs, five Lincolns, four Fords, six Mercuries, three T-Birds, and a Mustang.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    If he didn't intentionally drop himself, as some sort of plan, then what happened on stage 9 has got to be one of the most embarassing drop offs in performance that I can remember seeing. Going from world class climber one day, pulling most the way in what resulted in Froome getting the 3rd fastest time in history on the climb, finishing behind Froome by a large margin above everyone else, including every other GC contendor...

Then the next day he's dropped on like the very first climb out of a field of like what 50? 100? Umm... okay...

UNBANNABLE
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    I see no benefit of him or Sky trying to purposely stage such thing. Nobody stage a bad ride and then comes back with a smashing ride. If anything, it only draws attention, not divert attention. If he and Sky wanted to divert attention, then they could have directed Porte to cool off on that climb, and stroll along easy on the TT.

You do not throw away a 2nd place this early in the TdF so you can hope to "fool" anyone. Yes, while Sky is already being compared to US Postal, but that that poorly staged execution (if indeed it was staged) would not fool anyone.

I notice that when he was dropped, at one point he did try to catch the peloton. This was when he was down about 1'50" or so. He did try, and he did seem appear to be working hard. But it only lasted for about less than 10 minutes until he totally shut it down and cruise. Was that staged? I don't think so. You don't spend that sort of energy yo-yo-ing just because you wanted to stage.

I just think he had a bad day. Maybe nutrition was a little off, maybe legs were hurting a bit. For now, I will call it a bad day. It will be interesting how he will do in the final week.
    And, some believe Lance still didn't dope....he was set up by....The Man!

Some guys bury their heads in the sand so far....they can't get them out.

Can you say naïve....I knew you could.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I could go either way. They did the 1 2 too many times last year to not raise suspicion. On the other hand, that many riders riding against him could lead to cracking after a hard day.

UNBANNABLE
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by spade2you View Post
    I could go either way. They did the 1 2 too many times last year to not raise suspicion. On the other hand, that many riders riding against him could lead to cracking after a hard day.
    That's what they WANT you to think. You should have put "cracking" in quotes...

Special guest
    He didn't get a fresh transfusion after stage 8. He returned to "human" status for a day until he could get a refill...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    I might sound like a crazy conspiracy theorist, but thinking about this from Team Sky's perspective this is how I figure they saw things...

We're at stage 8, Froome and Porte are 1st and 2nd in the Tour and just completely destroyed everyone on the stage. No one expected Porte to truly contest the tour, and yet here he is... having just dropped all the other GC contendors quite easily. This is getting way too obvious... he's supposed to be a good domestique, not bloody drop Contador and Cadel. We're going to get a **** load of heat from this. Porte has to get off the top GC immediately before this gets out of hand. We have to play this off as a fluke, Porte will have a "bad day" tomorrow, lose a bunch of minutes, and drop off from the top of the GC list. People will then stop paying attention, but he can continue to ride like a boss and help Froome. He'll be so far behind we won't have to worry about him getting on the podium and he'll be off everyone's radar again.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RTSO2112 View Post
    That's what they WANT you to think. You should have put "cracking" in quotes...
    Only Porte knows what was really going on. Hell, I could soft pedal one day and simply say I'm having a bad day. Nobody else would know what I was feeling unless I had to take a polygraph.

UNBANNABLE
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Cableguy View Post
    I might sound like a crazy conspiracy theorist, but thinking about this from Team Sky's perspective this is how I figure they saw things...

We're at stage 8, Froome and Porte are 1st and 2nd in the Tour and just completely destroyed everyone on the stage. No one expected Porte to truly contest the tour, and yet here he is... having just dropped all the other GC contendors quite easily. This is getting way too obvious... he's supposed to be a good domestique, not bloody drop Contador and Cadel. We're going to get a **** load of heat from this. Porte has to get off the top GC immediately before this gets out of hand. We have to play this off as a fluke, Porte will have a "bad day" tomorrow, lose a bunch of minutes, and drop off from the top of the GC list. People will then stop paying attention, but he can continue to ride like a boss and help Froome. He'll be so far behind we won't have to worry about him getting on the podium and he'll be off everyone's radar again.
    In short, he was on the dope...then the dupe.

microdosed sarcasm
    Jul 2010
    Maybe being on drugs makes you go so hard on one day that you're completely flat the next.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Yes.

The rest of team sky might as well abandon the tour. Froome can win it on his own from now on.

RoadBikeReview Member
    There's no way Sky would have deliberately left Froome all alone. It's far too big a risk to let Froome get isolated, particularly with Quintana in that position at the time. If Sky could have had Porte with Froome all the way to the finish they absolutely would have. Sky haven't exactly been too concerned about suspicious performances up to now - it's hardly as though we now presume Sky are clean because Porte had a bad day!
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster" - Greg LeMond

UNBANNABLE
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by SFTifoso View Post
    Yes.

The rest of team sky might as well abandon the tour. Froome can win it on his own from now on.
    Concur....but only if he is on the good stuff the rest of the way!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by roddjbrown View Post
    There's no way Sky would have deliberately left Froome all alone. It's far too big a risk to let Froome get isolated, particularly with Quintana in that position at the time. If Sky could have had Porte with Froome all the way to the finish they absolutely would have. Sky haven't exactly been too concerned about suspicious performances up to now - it's hardly as though we now presume Sky are clean because Porte had a bad day!
    That is a good point, having Porte hang on longer in case Froome needed help would have been safer... but maybe they wanted him to lose an epic amount of time in which case he needed to be dropped early. You can't really lose 5-10 minutes just on the last climb. The rest day was the next day, so if he was going to fake falling apart it needed to be that day... and preferably he would need to lose a lot of time to get off the top GC list, stay off it, and not have to worry about it again the rest of the Tour. Plus maybe they wanted to play out the theatrics of the whole, "Porte can barely ride today, he is a broken man after doing the impossible yesterday!"

I'm sure Sky played this out beforehand with action figures in their team bus, "Oh no Porte is in trouble *explosion sounds* kpewww crrrr ... wait, he's not giving up he's trying to fight his way back errr errr vroooom... but no, it's too late he can't make it back!"

UNBANNABLE
    Oct 2012
    That is a good point, having Porte hang on longer in case Froome needed help would have been safer... but maybe they wanted him to lose an epic amount of time in which case he needed to be dropped early. You can't really lose 5-10 minutes just on the last climb. The rest day was the next day, so if he was going to fake falling apart it needed to be that day... and preferably he would need to lose a lot of time to get off the top GC list, stay off it, and not have to worry about it again the rest of the Tour. Plus maybe they wanted to play out the theatrics of the whole, "Porte can barely ride today, he is a broken man after doing the impossible yesterday!"

I'm sure Sky played this out beforehand with action figures in their team bus, "Oh no Porte is in trouble *explosion sounds* kpewww crrrr ... wait, he's not giving up he's trying to fight his way back errr errr vroooom... but no, it's too late he can't make it back!"
    A la Spaceballs...Dark Helmet....

RoadBikeReview Member

Hmm lets look at Porte's results from this year:

1st Paris-Nice
    2nd Criterium International
    2nd Tour of Basque country
    2nd Criterium du Dauphine

and you're saying that people didn't expect Porte to be up there in the GC right alongside Froome all the way?

.. well that's an interesting interpretation of his performances. Almost as laughable as suggesting he deliberately got dropped on stage 9 to put people off the scent!

UNBANNABLE
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ALIHISGREAT View Post

1st Paris-Nice

and you're saying that people didn't expect Porte to be up there in the GC right alongside Froome all the way?

.. well that's an interesting interpretation of his performances. Almost as laughable as suggesting he deliberately got dropped on stage 9 to put people off the scent!
    We understand...you still believed Lance was innocent until he confessed on Oprah...and even then you still had your doubts.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010

1st Paris-Nice

Correct, I didn't expect him to pull Contador, Valverde, Cadel, and other GC favorites along up the climbs, then drop them all convincingly... only to get immediately dropped on a relatively easy climb out of a huge field the next day.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RTSO2112 View Post
    We understand...you still believed Lance was innocent until he confessed on Oprah...and even then you still had your doubts.
    For the record I didn't think Lance was innocent..

but what has that got to do with Richie Porte's performances? Seems like you have no reasonable response so you turn to insulting my intelligence?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    For the record I didn't think Lance was innocent..

but what has that got to do with Richie Porte's performances? Seems like you have no reasonable response so you turn to insulting my intelligence?
    in one short thread he managed to bring in the name Lance Armstrong (that has no bearing in the convo) to insult at least 2 people. Dude is pissed off at world alright.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Richie Porte getting dropped on stage 13 and leaving Froome all alone, again.
    You don't "stage" this early in the game and risk exposing your #1 rider, just so you can get the doping critics off your tail. No way. And it's not like Sky is actively trying to hide the fact that they're dominant, are they? So far, Sky's attitude is more like "catch us if you can, let's see you prove it with tests".