Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

Samuel Sanchez criticises Armstrong ban

Samuel Sanchez is against the decision to sanction Lance Armstrong for doping, because the American “never tested positive.” There was no direct evidence, only “verbal accusations”, the Euskaltel-Euskadi rider said.
    Samuel Sanchez Criticises Armstrong Ban | Cyclingnews.com
    DIRT BOY

"Pain is a big fat creature riding on your back. The farther you pedal, the heavier he feels. The harder you push, the tighter he squeezes your chest. The steeper the climb, the deeper he digs his jagged, sharp claws into your muscles." - Scott Martin

Slightly Opinionated
    There goes any respect I ever had for him.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    Teh Lounge- "Its not just for weirdos anymore. It is for those trying to escape the noobsauce questions."
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Trolling the lounge is like noodling for piranha.

The Daily Grind Cycling Journal & Tailwind Coaching

RoadBikeReview Member
    Still banging the never-tested-positive drum. Sammie, it almost sounds like you're worried that defence doesn't hold water...hmm...
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster" - Greg LeMond

Road & Trail Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by robdamanii View Post
    There goes any respect I ever had for him.
    ... and so you should. Seeing as his opinion is different than yours.

Slightly Opinionated
    Quote Originally Posted by jlandry View Post
    ... and so you should. Seeing as his opinion is different than yours.
    Except that his "opinion" is blatantly wrong. Eye-witness testimony IS proof.

People have been put to death on the same burden of proof, and this is just a little banning of a serial liar and scumbag cheater.
    Teh Lounge- "Its not just for weirdos anymore. It is for those trying to escape the noobsauce questions."

Road & Trail Warrior
    ^^ Agreed.

Team Tom's
    Quote Originally Posted by roddjbrown View Post
    Still banging the never-tested-positive drum. Sammie, it almost sounds like you're worried that defence doesn't hold water...hmm...
    Precisely. If one ever thought he was a clean rider... Now there's good reason to consider otherwise.

There existed no test to prove you were taking EPO during much of Armstrong's career. Sanchez has been around the block a few times... He knows this. So for him to make such a claim about a positive test is ludicrous.

wots...uh the deal?
    Why would he even open his mouth to comment?

Is Spain that 'backwards'? (I know, I know. Back in ~2001 when usps moved their Euro base from France to Spain, I was speculating that it was because of the doping culture changes in France...and that Spain doesn't care. But even after this, Spain is still playing ignorant?)
    martymoose

Clyde-o-Matic
    I think the google translator must have had a malfunction. What he really said was "I'm doped to the gills and I hope like he!! I don't get busted the same way!"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    Sanchez keeps Omerta alive and well. I think the WADA needs to take a good hard look at him.

microdosed sarcasm
    Jul 2010
    Eye-witness testimony IS proof.
    Not proof. Evidence.

Quote Originally Posted by JoelS View Post
    Sanchez keeps Omerta alive and well. I think the WADA needs to take a good hard look at him.
    Those who disagree need to be investigated. Is that the way it goes now?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Local Hero View Post

It is if they continue to deny deny deny and apparently don't want to clean up the sport. What are they afraid of? That they're next.

Slightly Opinionated
    Not proof. Evidence.

Yep. Evidence that PROVES Pharmstrong was a walking drug experimentation lab.

And I agree: if people keep upholding Omerta, maybe we should start investigating all of them.

RoadBikeReview Member

wyrd bið ful ãræd
    I can see where he is coming from though. They were already testing all riders then, and so if he was never caught, then, they should not now take his titles away. He was only suspected to have drugs in him, but still within limits. He could be charged with bring the sport into disrepute and fined and banned from cycling, but you cannot take what he has already won when operating within the rules. Someone please clarify.

Unless of course the rules state that all riders should not be reported to be taking performance enhancing drugs.

You set up a competition, with rules, and someone comes along and competes within those rules, he is entitled to whatever he comes out with? Not? Is there a rule of the law which states otherwise. Maybe someone learned in law could expand.

Slightly Opinionated
    Jesus christ in a chicken basket, this has NOTHING TO DO WITH LAW AND LEGAL SYSTEMS!

This is ENTIRELY held within the confines of the sport itself and within the rules of the sport. You cheat, you broke the rules, therefore you get busted. There's no "in a court of law" involved. There was a dismissed option for arbitration, which was the extent of the "legal" wrangling that should be done.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    Jesus christ in a chicken basket, this has NOTHING TO DO WITH LAW AND LEGAL SYSTEMS!

This is ENTIRELY held within the confines of the sport itself and within the rules of the sport. You cheat, you broke the rules, therefore you get busted. There's no "in a court of law" involved. There was a dismissed option for arbitration, which was the extent of the "legal" wrangling that should be done.

actually....it has quite a bit to do with the law, and the legal system. SCA promotions have stated that they will be trying to recover the millions that they paid Armstrong. I doubt that LA will hand over untold millions freely...it will be a battle in the courts. The legal system will be involved in this..SCA is just the first. Spain is also looking into if they are going to deal with what happened there criminally...so more courts and legal systems!!

microdosed sarcasm
    Jul 2010

"Omerta" Loosely Applied

Quote Originally Posted by JoelS View Post
    Sanchez keeps Omerta alive and well.
    And I agree: if people keep upholding Omerta
    I don't know if Sanchez spoke out against the ban because of the lack of physical evidence, because he is ignorant, or because Armstrong sent him fifty bucks via paypal. But you guys are nuts if you think that publicly criticizing a sanction is upholding a code of silence.

Slightly Opinionated
    I don't know if Sanchez spoke out against the ban because of the lack of physical evidence, because he is ignorant, or because Armstrong paypaled him fifty bucks. But you guys are nuts if you think that publicly criticizing a sanction is upholding a code of silence.
    If he weren't interested in hiding the peloton's drug use, why isn't he coming out and saying that "yes, the evidence shows he doped, good, I'm glad they caught him."

Remember, he's the same one who expressed doubt at Contador's guilt as well.

Slightly Opinionated
    Quote Originally Posted by SirVelo' View Post
    actually....it has quite a bit to do with the law, and the legal system. SCA promotions have stated that they will be trying to recover the millions that they paid Armstrong. I doubt that LA will hand over untold millions freely...it will be a battle in the courts. The legal system will be involved in this..SCA is just the first. Spain is also looking into if they are going to deal with what happened there criminally...so more courts and legal systems!!
    For the last time:

The USADA decision and UCI decision have nothing to do with the court system.

Anything ancillary to that certainly may have the need of the legal system.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    For the last time:
    But you're so amusing when you get worked up! One more time! Come on, just one more time! pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeease??

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    Thanks for the dirty Sanchez Sammy.
    Blows your hair back.

RoadBikeReview Member
    it's a shame (and bass akwards) that landis, hamilton, millar, et all are being held up as heroes. they confessed because they (i) got caught and (ii) were ALL at rock bottom. this problem has always plagued pro cycling and forever will. best guess, soccer and tennis are next.

wyrd bið ful ãræd
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    i looked on the tdf web site to see if the empty spaces are up there yet. I couldn't find them, but i did read how richard veronique (sp?) won the polka dot jersey an amazing seven times. And that guy failed drug tests, or at least was on a team where doping was wide spread. Why aren't they going after him. Or jan ullrich who has a number of podium finishes? It seems to me that the rules aren't being applied fairly here.

And this usada report smells bad to me. Suppose you're a pro cyclist who rode with lance. You doped. Everyone doped. So the usada gets you into a room and says "look we know you're guilty, we've got eye witnesses. So spill the beans on lance and we don't crucify you like we're going to do to him. You get to keep your prize money. We'll leave you alone". What would you do?

And now, since lance has left, pro cycling is clean now. Give me an effing break. The amount of hypocracy is off the meter.

I've never been a fan of lance, but if i were on a jury, i'd have a hard time convicting him beyond a reasonable doubt. I think he's guilty, but without a positive drug test -- which is what was needed until we now have 'he says, she says evidence" -- you can't convict him. If the guy got away with this for a decade, then i think everyone at the uci should be fired because they sure as hell weren't doing their jobs very well.
    +1 ...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Cableguy View Post
    But you're so amusing when you get worked up! One more time! Come on, just one more time! pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeease??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast