Thread: Singing Sella

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003

Singing Sella

Information coming out about Sella's cooperation. Suppose to provide more after the summer holidays.

http://www.podiumcafe.com/2008/8/9/5...s-stool-pigeon

Interesting that it all goes back to the bust of Molleta's father during the Giro.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002
    In Italy they are talking about him getting his sentence cut to as little as a year. What's surprising to me in the latest round is that the UCI hasn't tried to intervene yet to shut people up again.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by terzo rene
    In Italy they are talking about him getting his sentence cut to as little as a year. What's surprising to me in the latest round is that the UCI hasn't tried to intervene yet to shut people up again.
    I think the UCI has finally reconciled fully with the idea that they have to get proactive to minimize the doping and that efforts to keep people quiet and turn a blind eye just contributed to prolonging the problem. Otherwise I don't know how you could reconcile McQuaids recent comments about the Spanish and other topics. Spain still needs to come to the table, maybe the Olympics embarrassment will help, but I have a feeling it's going to take something more.

12 strings, no waiting
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne Barry
    I have a feeling it's going to take something more.
    A general amnesty perhaps? Everyone comes clean, no punishment?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by mohair_chair
    Or another OP or perhaps a bust of one their major stars (Contador, Valverde, Freire).

I'm not sure what an amnesty would facilitate. Basically what needs to happen is the Spanish Federation needs to turn up the heat on it's riders through increased testing, enforcement of the rules, and a change in attitude.

Ever since OP they have been doing their utmost to "save" a bunch of riders who they clearly know were dopers.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Or another OP or perhaps a bust of one their major stars (Contador, Valverde, Freire).

I think they should make use of the perfectly good OP they've already got.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by blackhat
    I think they should make use of the perfectly good OP they've already got.
    Well the problem with that has always been they clearly still have the old attitude toward doping that it isn't doping if you're aren't caught, and then do everything in their power to not catch anyone!

Practically, OP would have totally destroyed Spanish cycling if they approached it the way Torri is dealing with things in Italy. As it is, they're having a banner year!

banned
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mohair_chair
    Finally, I knew there was something we could agree on.

It worked in South Africa, why not cycling? The biggest challenge is that some athletes version of the truth (Basso) is different from others.

12 strings, no waiting
    Basically what needs to happen is the Spanish Federation needs to turn up the heat on it's riders through increased testing, enforcement of the rules, and a change in attitude.
    That would be great, but won't the cheaters just register somewhere else, like Monaco?

Amnesty would be a great way to detail the crimes, wipe the slate clean and move on. Dopers would have to come clean about everything, schedules, suppliers, techniques, etc. in order to evade punishment or sanctions. Results and prizes stand.

After the amnesty, bump suspensions up from two years to five years, which for many riders will end their careers. And anyone caught post-amnesty for an offense that began pre-amnesty would receive a lifetime ban, as punishment for not coming clean in the amnesty.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002
    Basso started to really come clean until McQuaid made a point in saying there would be no reduction in sentence allowed. Next day Ivan's story had changed. There has to be some incentive to come clean because of the costs to relationships in the peloton. Look at Simeoni.