Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The Slow One.
    Quote Originally Posted by coldash View Post
    and that press and the BBC rammed this stuff down our throats. They feel conned and are looking for redemption. They forget that DB said they would push to the limits but not cross them. Remember also that the Daily Mail is not renowned as a shining example of the media and is an avowed enemy of the Murdoch empire
    The Murdoch empire isn't known for shining examples of journalism, either.

To be honest, the drug part is less damning to me than the stuff that went on in the BC track side of the house. Again, management needs to be held to account.
    Walsh is trying to distance himself from the 2012 embedding with Sky. Both he and UKAD would find much more wrong doing in the rugby rather than cycling world but seem reluctant to make a big issue of it.
    Absolutely, but rugby and soccer and... would offer much more resistance (legal) and the fan backlash could be detrimental to sales. The bottom line trumps the truth, which partially explains why Lance coasted so long.
    PS. no one in mainland Europe cares about this
    Because most of them understand that there are far, far worse teams in the pro ranks. They are just happy to see Sky distracted and therefore (one would assume) weaker. I'm hoping this is the year all of the teams collude to take Sky down in the Tour. Not because I don't like Froome as a rider, but I'd like to see the GC more dynamic and the race less boring. Maybe a French winner? An attacking Contador winning one last GT before retirement or blowing it all up for another contender (Vuelta)? Otherwise, I'll just skip the coverage and catch the recaps on CyclingNews.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Alaska Mike

Agree with all of that. One additional factor re soccer and rugby is that they offer the general media greater corporate hospitality compared to cycling
    Last edited by coldash; 03-12-2017 at 06:30 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Former Team Sky rider admits violating no-needle rule | Cyclingnews.com

Why do I feel like I just read a big steaming pile of BS?

The Slow One.
    I don't think the rider is lying. The Sky/BC model seems to be very pressure and results-oriented, kinda like the old Soviet system of throwing a bunch of eggs against the wall and keeping the ones that didn't break. That he would break any and every rule he thought he could get away with and then rationalize it to himself sounds like every rider from the 1998 TDF.

What I can't believe is that, when the discovery was made and the confession was offered, that nobody tried to sweep it under the rug. I'm sure the rider tried to initially use the "I only intended to dope" excuse, but I think he eventually told someone and they tried to keep it quiet. How far up that went, we'll probably never know. I'm sure they rationalized it just like he did, then maybe had some concern for the rider's mental well-being that drove him to this point.

What I don't get is why he went outside of the Sky structure to get Tramadol, which other riders have claimed was handed out like candy by some team doctors. If you need more than the doctor is willing to dole out, you go outside the organization, but initially?

Inconsistencies like this lead me to believe that it's isolated pockets within the structure and not an organization-wide conspiracy. Dave B and the rest of the Ski/BC bigwigs are just doing a poor job cleaning up after the mess their poor management left behind.

Still a lot of smoke but no real flame here. Maybe in a decade the truth will come out.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by spade2you View Post
    Former Team Sky rider admits violating no-needle rule | Cyclingnews.com

Why do I feel like I just read a big steaming pile of BS?
    Especially since only "doctors" named "Phil" or "Oz" are the only ones recommending injection vitamins...unless you have some serious medical problems, at which point you should be taking it up with an actual MD anyway.

Intravenous vitamins for 99% of people are the epitome of "woo"
    "‘Photograph me on horseback,’ wrote Teddy Roosevelt in 1908. ‘Tennis, no. And golf is fatal.’ "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Mike View Post
    The Murdoch empire isn't known for shining examples of journalism, either.

To be honest, the drug part is less damning to me than the stuff that went on in the BC track side of the house. Again, management needs to be held to account.

Absolutely, but rugby and soccer and... would offer much more resistance (legal) and the fan backlash could be detrimental to sales. The bottom line trumps the truth, which partially explains why Lance coasted so long.

Because most of them understand that there are far, far worse teams in the pro ranks. They are just happy to see Sky distracted and therefore (one would assume) weaker. I'm hoping this is the year all of the teams collude to take Sky down in the Tour. Not because I don't like Froome as a rider, but I'd like to see the GC more dynamic and the race less boring. Maybe a French winner? An attacking Contador winning one last GT before retirement or blowing it all up for another contender (Vuelta)? Otherwise, I'll just skip the coverage and catch the recaps on CyclingNews.
    watching "Final kilometers" is my go to, that's where most of the action is

RoadBikeReview Member
    Team Sky employee interview. (Maybe someone can embed it, I couldn't.)

Funny!

https://youtu.be/e8o7RNL-mHI
    Last edited by burgrat; 04-05-2017 at 03:59 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    Yep,
    The last vehicle following the race is always the meat wagon that picks up all the dead cyclists (it's a 10yard dump truck).

Just how many cyclists do you reckon get killed and mangled in your average UCI event?

Quote Originally Posted by MMsRepBike View Post

These guys are lunatics. And Sagan is correct, safety left a while back, the UCI and the organizers don't give a damn about the athletes. The crashes are insane. The routes and finishes are insane. There's some real crazy stuff going on currently, unfortunately too crazy because athletes are getting killed and mangled by it.
    Worth a watch just for the danger of it.

And no, disc brakes don't add any more danger, they'll just muck up wheel changes ruin the flow of the race.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Move over Sky, Movistar is ummmmmmm.

The Slow One.
    Ahh yes, the mandatory "it's a piti you don't believe in miracles" comment. I don't think anyone seriously believes he's riding 100% clean, but so far all that's come out of the cycling press are veiled comments about how well he's riding for an old man.

Then again, he's generally well-liked and hasn't abused anyone to my knowledge.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12