Call me a Fred

Tyler's vanishing twin.

So, what bank did he rob?

I remember visiting Tyler Hamilton in his Boulder home where he and his then-wife, Haven, tried convincing me that his two positive drug tests due to someone elseís blood in 2004 were the result of a ďvanishing twin.Ē According to Hamilton, he started out in the womb as a twin and received blood from him before he died in the uterus.
    That twinís blood, he claimed, was in his system.
    I didnít believe it. Neither did the doctors or USADA when I contacted them. But I printed it just to get Hamiltonís side of the story. I asked him about it Thursday and he said he didnít believe it, either.
    ďThat wasnít my idea,Ē Hamilton said. ďThat was something that came up from the scientists, the doctors. It was one way to have a second blood type in your blood. And the press just went off on that. It was just one possibility. I didnít know. I never blood doped with anyone else. Thatís the other thing. I blood doped a lot but I didnít take anyone elseís blood. Whether it was a bad test or whether or not it was messed up, I donít know.
    ďIt kind of made it a little easier to fight because I was saying I robbed the bank of Denver, the bank of Boulder and the bank of Fort Collins, but I didnít. I actually robbed the bank of Longmont. Or maybe I did rob all of those banks but didnít rob the bank of Longmont. But they were accusing me of robbing the bank of Longmont.Ē
    Mike

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You may starch my jumper
    Hang it upside your wall
    You know by that, baby
    I need my ashes hauled.

Sleepy John Estes

H

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    I didnít believe it. Neither did the doctors or USADA when I contacted them. But I printed it just to get Hamiltonís side of the story.
    *cough* bullsh!t *cough*

microdosed sarcasm
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeBiker View Post
    So, what bank did he rob?
    Isn't it obvious?

flinty-eyed moderator
    Tyler is a sleazy lying sack of crap is my take away. Doped on multiple teams and intentionally defrauded people with his defense fund and first book.
    Dr. Cox: Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolhand View Post
    Tyler is a sleazy lying sack of crap is my take away. Doped on multiple teams and intentionally defrauded people with his defense fund and first book.
    And Lance?
    "The mouse with the overbite explained/how the rabbits were ensnared/ and the skinny scanty sylph/ trashed the apothecary diplomat/ inside the three-eyed monkey/ within inches of his toaster-oven life."

Schmuck
    Dec 2004
    Tyler has admitted to that...so youre completely disarmed.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    Well, Tyler's excuse at the time was more creative than Frank Schlek's recent "I was poisoned" excuse.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2008
    Yeah and Floyd claimed some Jack Daniels got him popped for T. They're jocks, not scientists or PR guys. Floyd and Tyler's mistake was not to hire a PR expert. Remember "I'm going to say no"? Between the two of those guys and their lame stories it made for great viewing/reading.
    miles to posts ratio is > 30:1

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Big-foot View Post
    And Lance?
    Yeah, as bad as Tyler was, at least he eventually came clean...whereas we're still waiting on Lance. So in my book anyway, whatever Tyler is now, Lance is still worse.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristatos View Post
    Yeah and Floyd claimed some Jack Daniels got him popped for T. They're jocks, not scientists or PR guys. Floyd and Tyler's mistake was not to hire a PR expert. Remember "I'm going to say no"? Between the two of those guys and their lame stories it made for great viewing/reading.
    Yes.. LA has a huge PR MACHINE, the highest priced lawyers and friends in high places.... and it has worked very well for him.

Many still follow the "image" presented by the $$ used to present this.. The good news is many now see past this "Lance WWF" image. I'm glad Tyler finally came clean.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2008

No Difference

I cannot see any difference between Armstrong's doping and lying and Hamilton's doping and lying. If anything, the incredible lengths Armstrong went to to take Hamilton down make him seem the more disturbing personality.

Farmguy
    Aug 2009
    I never blood doped with anyone else.

?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Finish your Beer, there are sober kids in India

wots...uh the deal?
    Quote Originally Posted by viciouscycle View Post
    I never blood doped with anyone else.

?
    As I understand, some folks used to blood dope with someone else's blood. Same blood type and a close a relative, is better than a stranger. (Phinney/Carpenter's book, Davis talks about this a bit. Being asked late in the training cycle for the olympics...do you have any close relatives that are athletic?)

Using your own blood, autologous blood transfusion. Using someone else's blood, homologous.

And if I remember right, there was speculative theory at the time that TH and a teammate were both autologous transfusing, but that the blood bag got mixed up by the team "doctor" and TH received someone else's blood. Hence the different blood type detected in TH's blood when he got caught...and the chimera defense.
    martymoose

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by mmoose View Post
    Using your own blood, autologous blood transfusion. Using someone else's blood, homologous.

And if I remember right, there was speculative theory at the time that TH and a teammate were both autologous transfusing, but that the blood bag got mixed up by the team "doctor" and TH received someone else's blood. Hence the different blood type detected in TH's blood when he got caught...and the chimera defense.
    I haven't read his book yet and just figured he would explain it in it, but I guess he doesn't? He doesn't know how he got another persons blood into his body?

The incompetent doping docs theory makes sense. IIRC, he was called in by the UCI and told they could tell he was doing homologous blood doping and that he better stop as they were going to start testing for it and then later went and got himself popped for doing it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    First book? Are you confusing him with Landis? The Secret Race is Tyler's first book.
    Arguments among misinformed people do not constitute a "debate."
    --Kerry Irons

"Atheism is a religion like not collecting stamps is a hobby."
    --BianchiJoe

Cervelo S3/Dura Ace
    Felt B2Pro/SRAM
    Cannondale CAAD10/105

mosca
    As I understand, some folks used to blood dope with someone else's blood. Same blood type and a close a relative, is better than a stranger. (Phinney/Carpenter's book, Davis talks about this a bit. Being asked late in the training cycle for the olympics...do you have any close relatives that are athletic?)

the most amusing defence of getting caught with homologous doping was Vinokourov and his father's blood: "that's ridiculous, if I had my father's blood it would have tested positive for vodka"
    do you know the word for fly in Italian?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2008
    I just finished the book last night and it seems like Tyler had so much faith in the docs at the time that it never entered his mind that he could have accidentally got someone else's blood. Reflecting back later, he realized that the guy handling the transfusions was an older chap that worked for Fuentes, and was on meds himself to control dementia (or something) so yeah, maybe a mistake could explain that.
    miles to posts ratio is > 30:1