Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    A wheelist

What's Hincapie's legacy?

In light of Hincapie's doping admission, what will his legacy be? George was probably the #1 loved USA pro rider and one of the most respected in the world. So how will he be remembered? Is he now reduced to a complete nothing?

Just think of the opportunities that would have been open to him in his retirement. Are all his wins and placings now just a sham?

The most jolting quote that I read was that when Lance was trashing Betsy and Frankie, George stood by and said nothing. He could have saved them but he didn't.

What do you think now about George?
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

I'm not cranky; I just have a violent reaction to stupid people.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    It's funny, I actually feel worse about GH than Lance. He came out with his PR the day I got the Hincapie tribute magazine in the mail. So I looked at the tribute to him as a huge slap in the face.

Are they taking away his records? His tours? No... So he pleaed out to a slap on the wrist to rat out a team and a guy who helped get him to where he is now.

I don't really have any warm fuzzies for George.

You Phillip mah census
    He cheated and helped others to cheat, came out with the bare minimum in terms of an apology and explanation, showing a minimal amount of contrition, and went off to play with his Ferrari. Lance's partner in scumbaggery.
    There ain't no sanity clause... (Chico Marx)

I accidentally..a burrito. (Old Fuji)

Norman Wisdom, Johnny, Joey, Dee Dee, good times... (Phil Oakey)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T. View Post
    The most jolting quote that I read was that when Lance was trashing Betsy and Frankie, George stood by and said nothing. He could have saved them but he didn't.
    Oh, he said something. Wrote Frankie an nasty email.Such a classy guy, harassing an old friend because he DIDN'T lie.

In the end though I doubt he sustains much damage.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    I never understood why he was so beloved. In interviews he seemed a bit dull and boring. His "bad luck" at Paris-Roubaix struck me as bad judgement.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Meh. Just meh.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by spade2you View Post
    Meh. Just meh.
    EXACTALLY!!

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by pretender View Post
    I never understood why he was so beloved. In interviews he seemed a bit dull and boring. His "bad luck" at Paris-Roubaix struck me as bad judgement.
    Yeah he was a terrible speaker and very boring.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

I'm not cranky; I just have a violent reaction to stupid people.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dirty cheating fraud tbqh.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2006
    A doper.........Game Over.............Just like Levi.
    10' Tarmac Comp Rival Rollin on Willlaims 38/58 Carbon Clinchers w/Powertap

RoadBikeReview Member
    Wasn't he stripped of most of his results? That's a pretty heavy blow.

He was as the Miami Grand Fondo last weekend and was almost ignored.
    Arguments among misinformed people do not constitute a "debate."
    --Kerry Irons

"Atheism is a religion like not collecting stamps is a hobby."
    --BianchiJoe

Cervelo S3/Dura Ace
    Felt B2Pro/SRAM
    Cannondale CAAD10/105

Pencil of death
    "Legacy" is a hard thing. It's just opinion.
    I think before he had that 'respected but always the brides maid.' In some ways you respected him for never quite winning the big one, but not becoming bitter.

Now? I think throwing Frankie, Betsy, David Walsh, etc.., under the bus undermines that respect. He no longer seems like the guy who did it the right way. If the strip he results, that also strips his record tdf completions.

RoadBikeReview Member
    GH will soon be mostly forgotten, remembered only in trivia contests for TdF finishes.

Mrs. Hincapie will not be forgotten, though,
    Attached Images Attached Images  

RoadBikeReview Member
    I think he was liked because he was a nice guy, and maybe came accross as a bit of a man-child. I think his reputation will not suffer anywhere near as badly as Lance's did, and that's because people like him. People will be a lot more likely to grant him the benefit of the doubt. I think he did what he had to do to be competitive. He wasn't one of the instigators but was forced, literally perhaps, to follow. He made a lot of money riding for Postal and I think it's become clear that if you wanted to ride for Postal you had to dope.

I sometimes wonder if this is really about drugs or just punishing Lance for being such and obnoxious and disrespectful a-hole.
    "I think you need bigger tires, I guess roadies like that vibration in their ass"
    -Quoted from Bikerag.com, a mountain bike site.

He who spit-shines his bust of Plato is waxing philosophic"
    -Tom Batiuk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Eater
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Sugar View Post
    I think he was liked because he was a nice guy, and maybe came accross as a bit of a man-child. I think his reputation will not suffer anywhere near as badly as Lance's did, and that's because people like him. People will be a lot more likely to grant him the benefit of the doubt. I think he did what he had to do to be competitive. He wasn't one of the instigators but was forced, literally perhaps, to follow. He made a lot of money riding for Postal and I think it's become clear that if you wanted to ride for Postal you had to dope.

I sometimes wonder if this is really about drugs or just punishing Lance for being such and obnoxious and disrespectful a-hole.
    I don't like him because he's a cheat.
    Sometimes you eat the bar, and sometimes, well, he eats you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bayAreaDude View Post
    I don't like him because he's a cheat.
    You must hate pro cycling.

RoadBikeReview Member
    You must hate pro cycling.
    No, just the cheaters. I think there are a few young clean riders - TJ, Sagan, maybe Hesjedal.

Most of the clean guys were elbowed out of the sport by cheats like Hincapie so I expect to see more clean riders in the future and look forward to watching them.
    Sometimes you eat the bar, and sometimes, well, he eats you.

Masters Neophyte
    No, just the cheaters. I think there are a few young clean riders - TJ, Sagan, maybe Hesjedal.

Most of the clean guys were elbowed out of the sport by cheats like Hincapie so I expect to see more clean riders in the future and look forward to watching them.
    Not as long as McQuaid and Verbruggen are around you won't.
    Capt Willard: "Every minute I stay in this room, I get weaker, and every minute Charlie squats in the bush, he gets stronger."

microdosed sarcasm
    Jul 2010
    Merchandise.

RoadBikeReview Member

Who did Ryder ride for in his early days?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    Who did Ryder ride for in his early days?
    He was a mountain biker for a while..he actually won the race that Lance was in at Mount Snow...98 if I remember correctally. Lance came up to him after the race and said I "need you pulling for me at the tour!"

I hold little hope that he's clean.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YamaDan View Post
    He was a mountain biker for a while..he actually won the race that Lance was in at Mount Snow...98 if I remember correctally. Lance came up to him after the race and said I "need you pulling for me at the tour!"

I hold little hope that he's clean.
    He was ex Discovery.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T. View Post
    In light of Hincapie's doping admission, what will his legacy be? George was probably the #1 loved USA pro rider and one of the most respected in the world. So how will he be remembered? Is he now reduced to a complete nothing?

Just think of the opportunities that would have been open to him in his retirement. Are all his wins and placings now just a sham?

What do you think now about George?
    Doper. For me at least.

It seems easy to admit that you cheated then conveniently retire to your mansion with your trophy wife and piles of cash. Clearly, he never would have said anything if it wasn't for the investigation.

And yeah, the issue with the Andreus. Pathetic.

I did see his last race in Colorado this year. I'm glad I didn't waste the time trying to get his autograph or shake his hand.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Won't buy his clothing line, won't go to his Grand Fondo. Will not support anything he does, that's how to get the message across.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brady1 View Post
    Doper. For me at least.

It seems easy to admit that you cheated then conveniently retire to your mansion with your trophy wife and piles of cash. Clearly, he never would have said anything if it wasn't for the investigation.

And yeah, the issue with the Andreus. Pathetic.

I did see his last race in Colorado this year. I'm glad I didn't waste the time trying to get his autograph or shake his hand.
    How many Spanish or Italian riders that never got caught do you think will publicly admit doping? Despite being caught, Pantani and Contador denied ever doping. Big Mig isn't going to hurry and cleanse his conscience, either. In fact, I highly doubt he'll ever confess and Spain would NEVER pull a move like that on one of their own.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast