Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011

Long Mileage Bib Shorts

What are your "go to" bib shorts for long distance riding?

First, I'm interested to see what people are using. Second, if most people prefer high end, mid level or find even lower priced bibs comfortable enough on long distance rides.

I realized my current low end bibs retain to much moisture to be comfortable on long rides, so looking to upgrade soon.

Thanks in advance for the help...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    DeSoto 400 mile bib shorts

Bianchi-Campagnolo
    In my club we use Bergamo bibs with the Endurance chamois by Elastic Interface, which originally was developed for Assos.
    540 km no problem.
    They do anything just to win a salami in ridiculous races. I take my gear out of the car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of those lives shocks me. It was the illest of times, it was the dopest of times. And we looked damn good. Actually the autobus broke down somewhere on the Mortirolo.

Destroyer of Motorcycles
    I prefer Boure bibs. Their guarantee can't be beat, great fit for me and Made in the USA.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dolomoto View Post
    I prefer Boure bibs. Their guarantee can't be beat, great fit for me and Made in the USA.
    I've been considering getting a pair of Boure bibs. I have one of their jackets and like it a lot. Which model do you have?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Specialized - really great for a long ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Castelli Bodypaint and Giordana FormaRed. I got both half off on Realcyclist so they were pretty cheap.

Destroyer of Motorcycles
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    I've been considering getting a pair of Boure bibs. I have one of their jackets and like it a lot. Which model do you have?
    I have two pair of the Elite and a pair of Pro bib knickers. I prefer the Elite chamois.

Their guarantee:

"If for ANY reason you would like to return your purchase or gift, simply send it back for a full refund or exchange at the below address. All we need to know is who you are, an e-mail address and/or daytime phone number, and what you would like us to do for you. Any reimbursements or adjustments will be made by original method of payment."

RoadBikeReview Member
    DeSoto 400 Mile Bibs for me too. They are also made in the USA.

RoadBikeReview Member
    DeSoto 400 mile bibs for me. I have done about 10 centuries so far this year. I would not ride a century without my DeSoto. They are even better than the Assos bibs I own.
    2013 Giant Anthem Advanced X29.

2008 Look 585 - Great Bike!

2010 Lynskey R230 - Comfortable!

2012 Wilier Cross Carbon

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Thanks everyone for the replies!

For each recommendation, I've conducted searches, read reviews and checked prices on-line. Still haven't made a purchase yet, but getting close.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    i have some Rapha, Casetlli, Craft and swobo.

the rapha's are by far the most comfortable all around but also the most $$$.

I want to try some of the aerotech bibs to see i can last a nice long day in the saddle.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2006
    Most of my endurance rides are mtb, but I do a few road rides that are 50+ miles. Out of all my Bibs my favorite are the DeSoto 400 mile. Next are my Sugoi RSE bibs and Boure w/Pro Chamois. I do not care for the Elite Chamois (but it is still better than most)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2004
    how do (all) these fit in the legs- loose, tight?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2005
    Assos Mille. I don't think that their jerseys or jackets necessarily warrant the increase in price over competitors, but these are some seriously nice bibs. Certainly more padding than I'm used to in Capo. Hincapie, etc, but once you get used to it it's fantastic.

Anphaque II
    Aug 2010
    Wow; I didn't know there was such thing as endurance bibs .

My longest ride to date is just 45 miles, though.

All my bibs are the same expect my Winter bibs.
    America's greatest threat: Congressional liberal Democrats

Crimes Against Humanity: The History of The Democrat Party

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Personally I prefer shorts for long rides. Makes the pit stops easier.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    Castelli Endurance bibs have been great for me

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by txzen View Post
    Assos Mille. I don't think that their jerseys or jackets necessarily warrant the increase in price over competitors, but these are some seriously nice bibs. Certainly more padding than I'm used to in Capo. Hincapie, etc, but once you get used to it it's fantastic.
    Same here. Plain, but nice.

Master debator.
    Castelli shorts with the Progretto x2 chamois are my favorite, and surprisingly the Performance Ultra shorts with the green pad are second. I prefer a pad that's fairly thin, dense, and not too thick.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    DeSoto 400-mile bib shorts...they just feel great and I love the 3 slim pockets in them. The midback pocket is perfect for securing the cell phone.

RoadBikeReview Member
    DeSoto 400 mi and Sugoi RS are both great. I prefer the Sugoi chamois a by a bit, but it's pretty close. I am not a fan of the 3 little pockets on the DeSotos, but they are pretty comfy and I wear them for 100+ miles without problem. I just don't use the pockets. The Sugois have a bit more compression and muscle support, for me. Just a little tighter around the legs. I like them very tight around the quads, but that's just personal preference. I also have some Voler, De Marchi, Endura, and Castelli. I rode 80 in the Volers last weekend, and they were pretty good, but the pad is a little big for my taste (not thick, just large in area). The De Marchis are pretty good. A lot like the Sugoi, but not as good in the pad, IMO. Enduras are middle of the pack. The Castelli are very light, and I like the material a lot, but the pad is to thin for my taste and the narrow straps cut into my shoulders. They are reserved for 30-35 miles or less.

My $0.02

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    Very good thread. I expected a lot of Assos talk and am surprised to learn about the DeSoto 400 mile bibs.

One online review showed a close up of the fabric and it looked less like smooth spandex and more like ribbed fabric. Was it just a funny picture?

How does the pad thickness compare to the assos (UNO) if anyone has ridden the two.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011

Lg

I've tried several different brands and I keep going to LG - Mondo's.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by natedg200202 View Post
    Very good thread. I expected a lot of Assos talk and am surprised to learn about the DeSoto 400 mile bibs.

One online review showed a close up of the fabric and it looked less like smooth spandex and more like ribbed fabric. Was it just a funny picture?

How does the pad thickness compare to the assos (UNO) if anyone has ridden the two.
    The De Soto 400 fabric is smooth but there is a grey pinstripe graphic in the material. You can see it but you can't feel it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast