Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Try prid salve if you have cysts/ingrowns, but the hygiene needs to be mechanical rather than just a quick waft over with the bar of soap, so a try a salux cloth with soap and have a decent scrub, if your shower head has a jet setting use that also to help blood supply and drainage (or whatever). Neosporin on anything broken. I like a chamois to be a barrier cream, not a lotion, so I use a DIY that is lanolin based with no water or emulsifiers. As I am not a bloke, getting out of nasty shorts is an imperative. If I can't get home asap, I have some wet wipes and civilian clothes and will do a quick change behind the car.

banned
    Nov 2013
    saddle sores are bacterial infections.

the end of may i rode from SF 2 LA.....545 miles in 6days.....on the 7 day, when i rolled into LA i ended up in the ER, on a antibiotic and morphine drip for 15hrs......STAPH infection on my backside. ive had small irritations, "pimples", ect from riding before....but this was something completely different....."anal abscess" was the official call. that was in may.....i just finished the mammoth GF (my first and only long ride of the season, time and health issues keeping me off the bike this season).....and since last saturday i have been back to the ER every day.....to have my latest MRSA infection and anal cavity unpacked and repacked with medicated gauze.

the MammothGF was great....awesome ride......felt great....no problems.....not until the evening after the GF, early morning......THAT pain started again.....oh fukk.....i know that pain.....that burning....like someone is holding a blow torch to your ass.....this time it is just to the left of the taint....i thought the first round of infections in may was bad.....this was a whole new experience in pain. last sunday, while in the ER the dr. squeezed and drain that fukker for 10mins.....to the tune of the most pain i have ever experienced, ever. i was crying like a little school girl in the ER. the worst....and i can take a buttload of pain, allot of it....but nothing comes close to this.

i had MSRA in 2012, brought it back from a month long journey into the jungles and beaches of the andaman sea, Thailand. the staph manifested itself on my right shin of all places.....then it spread all thru the household.....daughter, then wife....not a bad as me, but they still had some nasty infections....i turned the living room into a clean room/MASH unit for two months..........but that was 3 years ago....no subsequent infections until this may on the ALC ride......i think i picked up the bug in the showers? reapplying cream? donno....there are several thousand people you are riding with over many days.....who knows.

things are shaping up now (2 weeks later)..... im on gobs of antibiotics, my stomach is a mess.....yesterday they gave me a "pack yer hole at home kit"......which now i see what the dr. has been seeing.....a HUGE gaping hole, cavity where my left taint/ass used to be....MRSA ate a HUGE cavity just left of my taint.....and now i repack that cavity with a string of medicated gauze twice a day.....yes its nasty, yes its like cutting a bullet out of your gut in a western movie...but at least im not driving to the ER every day. crazy shiit man.

im a clean dude. i shower 2/3 times a day. i get out of my cycling shorts ASAP.....im at a loss here......last year i was logging 200-300 miles a weeks.....but after the Lifecycle ride and resultant infection in may, i can hardly do 30mi without flare ups and now this. fukk me.

so......the plan is....im tossing ALL the shorts i wore on the SF 2 LA ride and all my rides since then. yeah.....thats a chunk of change.....but i think the MRSA bacteria has colonized my shorts and once that happens, there is no way to get rid of it.....cant bleach the shorts, cant put them in the dryer.....so out they go......all i need is one reason to shop for new bib shorts!!! YAY!!!!

ps - ive got some KILLER pix of all this if anyone is interested in a 2week blood and puss fest. ive got a nice shot of a 7mm diameter puss and blood dripping hole in my ass/taint if you are into that sort of thing.....and im now wearing mens diapers....(i shiiit you not)......hey.......you try getting a bandage to stay in place down there......i tie myself into a knot twice a day in a effort to see what im doing with the tweezers and gauze string....the ER personnel recognized me from my stay in may.....they were puzzled as to why i have not changed sports.....hey.....gotta love cycling.
    Last edited by Rokh Hard; 09-24-2015 at 07:03 AM. Reason: even God leaves out details.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Rokh Hard View Post
    so......the plan is....im tossing ALL the shorts i wore on the SF 2 LA ride and all my rides since then. yeah.....thats a chunk of change.....but i think the MRSA bacteria has colonized my shorts and once that happens, there is no way to get rid of it.....cant bleach the shorts, cant put them in the dryer.....so out they go......all i need is one reason to shop for new bib shorts!!! YAY!!!!
    Consider your saddle, too. In direct contact with your shorts for every ride. Disinfect it or replace it with the shorts. Good luck on your recovery.
    Click here to edit signature.

banned
    Nov 2013
    thanks. its been a VERY frustrating season for sure.....was beginning to think i just cant ride anymore.....but im not finish problem solving yet!!

yeah.....have this saddle the carbon VSX for snake. ive had fit after fit, adj, adj.... i like it...but im thinking that where the relief there is a hard edge and it rubs me a bit, which over miles irritates a some hairs....then the bacteria get in there, game over.

? Saddle Arione Versus X

so, in addition to tossing all my bibs that might be colonized with STAPH, ill disinfect the Versus and sell it, then try this one out....

? Road Saddle - Arione R3 Braided

? Arione R1 road saddles by Fizik - pro road racing saddle in carbon thermoplastic for the best cycling performance

heck....as a reward for all my PIA hassles, ill treat myself to a custom color saddle once i settle on one.

Quote Originally Posted by jfaas View Post
    Consider your saddle, too. In direct contact with your shorts for every ride. Disinfect it or replace it with the shorts. Good luck on your recovery.

RoadBikeReview Member
    If indeed you have a medical confirmation of MRSA, I would certainly understand your concerns. It's scary stuff, and I might even be inclined take your no-risk approach and throw it all out. But, just so you know, based on research trials for hospital laundry, that's not necessary. As it turns out MRSA is not that difficult to erradicate using normal laundry products and guidelines. Simple warm water wash with any decent detergent does the job pretty well. But to play it safe you could go ahead with a hot water wash (not ideal for long-term care, but it won't destroy things done atime or two), get at least a 10-minute time at hot water temp, and add a peroxide bleach into the mix (e.g., Clorox2). That should effectively eliminate any resident MRSA bacteria.

All that said, it's your ass, and your gear, and if you just want to toss it then do so. But wash it as described above first to preclude any pass-through contamination to others. While treatment of infected folks is challenging because of antibiotic resistance, destruction of the bacteria on clothing and other physical items isn't difficult at all.
    "When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments."
    -Elizabeth Howard West

Never use your face as a brake pad.”
    -Jake Watson

RoadBikeReview Member
    You going to toss all your furniture, toilet seats, bed linens, underwear, clothes, ... too? Just clean / disinfect it, and ride on. MRSA as a contaminant is pretty easy to wipe out. It's when it is an infection in a living being that it's problematic.
    -Elizabeth Howard West

-Jake Watson

banned
    Nov 2013
    i wonder what my bibs would look like after bleaching.

Quote Originally Posted by ibericb View Post
    get at least a 10-minute time at hot water temp, and add a peroxide bleach into the mix (e.g., Clorox2). That should effectively eliminate any resident MRSA bacteria.

All that said, it's your ass, and your gear, and if you just want to toss it then do so. But wash it as described above first to preclude any pass-through contamination to others. While treatment of infected folks is challenging because of antibiotic resistance, destruction of the bacteria on clothing and other physical items isn't difficult at all.

yeah. ive got some good kits that i hate to let go....however im not really excited to see if my laundry efforts are successful, yeah....ill just buy new bibs.....time to clean house anyway....they stuff piles up. time to go shopping!!! WHOOP!!!

banned
    Nov 2013
    i can wash/dry the sheets and disinfect the toilet seats and furniture...yeah...ill toss my underwear that i wore.....also....most of those areas my ass is not lathered up in lotion and heat with chaffing for 6hrs.....i can disinfect most areas of the house....ive been thru this before....but the thought of the pad in my shorts being a fraternity for staph....im not down for that. time to go shopping!! got a new bike coming soon, might as well pickup some new kit!! WHOOP!!!

You going to toss all your furniture, toilet seats, bed linens, underwear, clothes, ... too? Just clean / disinfect it, and ride on. MRSA as a contaminant is pretty easy to wipe out. It's when it is an infection in a living being that it's problematic.

RoadBikeReview Member
    i wonder what my bibs would look like after bleaching.
    Well, if you use the peroxide stuff, no problem, and it is very effective at disinfection. I use it every time on everything that doesn't see chlorine bleach. A year later bibs and jerseys still look as about as good as new with 2-3 washes per week about typical.

.... time to go shopping!!! WHOOP!!!
    Cool! Retail therapy is usually restorative. It's also a good time to find deals on 2015 summer gear, and seeing some good closeouts on the carryover winter gear from last season.
    -Elizabeth Howard West

-Jake Watson

banned
    Nov 2013
    actually.....ill toss the tired but fantastic Gore Xenon bibs (great chamois in that)....toss the strava GF bibs along with several others......but its time for a reorder of my custom kits....friends are asking for them.....hell....i might even give Rapha a try as a treat.

Cool! Retail therapy is usually restorative. It's also a good time to find deals on 2015 summer gear, and seeing some good closeouts on the carryover winter gear from last season.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2017
    Old thread, I know, but pertinent - these things don't go away for people who push their limits.

After three consecutive centuries over three consecutive weekends, the seams that hold my chamois to my bibs wore through the skin on my rear. That was a painful last 15 miles on the third century.

I treated the area with A&D ointment and took a few days off. For getting back on, though, since I had scabs and thin skin there already... I put strips of duct tape to act as a second skin (just like runners and hikers use duct tape as second skin) on the areas of my buttocks. It worked!

I know I would still have been in misery, or at least setting myself up to wear through the skin again - and possibly get an infection. Since no company seems to make 'second skin' patches big enough, duct tape will have to do. I will be trying my next century with duct tape strips on my butt in certain areas (probably two 5" long strips per side).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
    Old thread, I know, but pertinent - these things don't go away for people who push their limits.
    I started this thread in 2015. Last year I made a similar trip in France, with slightly lower average distances, because I lost some time after being bitten by a dog. 160 km/100 miles per day. Longest day was 200 km/125 miles. The last 3 days were in the Massif Central. If you mention to folks there that flat stretches of road really exist, they look at you as if you're from Mars.

New bike, but same saddle. No problems at all. Four things were different:

1) I had a proper bike fitting;
    2) I used Assos chamois cream liberally;
    3) I spent some money on better bibshorts (Castelli and Sportful);
    4) I didn't carry everything in a backpack, but used a saddle bag (Apidura).

I believe all four factors contributed to keep the saddle sores at a distance, but the most important ones were 1) and 2).
    Assos certainly is the best chamois cream I've ever used. The other ones I tried in the past weren't very effective (in 2015 I used Nivea moisturizing cream, not a good idea).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by HFroller View Post
    I started this thread in 2015. Last year I made a similar trip in France, with slightly lower average distances, because I lost some time after being bitten by a dog. .
    HFroller,

Glad things worked out for you regarding the butt sores from riding.

Regarding the dog, what is going on in the Netherlands and Belgium??? I live in Belgium, and last year a full grown Belgian Malinois bore down on me (was not on a leash, owner just stood there disbelieving) as I was coming down a bike path. I couldn't get turned around in time, so I had to fight. Tried to get my bike inbetween me & the dog, but he was too fast. Thought about my bottles, hit him with one, he just looked at me like "that is all you got"? He then lunged and finally got ahold of my left calf. I managed to get a left hook upside his head and at the same time poked him dead in the eye. Owner was still taking her jolly time getting to us. It freaked me out. Since then, I've had 3 other dog incidents, but thankfully none where I got clamped & chewed like the Malinois did.

It never used to be like this in Europe. People always respected the leash laws, but anymore they don't. Calling, waiting and then reporting to the Belgian Police is useless, because by the time Belgian Police get there, these owners & their unnleashed dogs have disappeared into the wind.

Really pisses me off.

As you know (being in the Netherlands), we are not allowed to carry anything to defend ourselves in Belgium. Not even Mace, which is even illegal in Belgium.

This dog crap has all started, for me, back in Jan/Feb 2017, and it just seems the world has become a more violent and uncaring place watching this stuff occur. I am apprehensive anymore. I actively stay off the Belgium/Netherlands canals now, because of this, which is a bummer because of their nice riding & being able to go everywhere.

Hope you have many years of good riding where you never see another dog, let alone have to deal with one.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by BelgianHammer View Post
    HFroller,

Glad things worked out for you regarding the butt sores from riding.

Regarding the dog, what is going on in the Netherlands and Belgium???
    It happened in France, not in Belgium.
    Personally, I've never had problems with aggressive dogs in Belgium, but you are right: I see more and more dogs that aren’t on the leash. They can be dangerous without being aggressive. Just today I almost hit one while I was doing 20 mph.

For those who like to know: the dog that bit me is on google streetview. It’s the brown one in the back.

https://www.google.com/maps/@48.0765...7i13312!8i6656

It happened on a sunday evening. The people that helped me in Ervy-le-Châtel were wonderful. The lady that ran the camping site called a (male) nurse who cleaned the wound. He refused to be payed. Next day, the lady drove me to a doctor in another village who checked me, prescribed antibiotics etc. He refused money too. "C'est la France ici, monsieur." Around noon I was riding again, with a huge bandage around my calf.

But now that I think about it ... Perhaps the antibiotics helped against saddle sores too?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Check if bug spray is legal, the stronger stuff is almost as good as mace.... if you hit them in the eyes.
    BANNED

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12