Thread: 2012 Felt F3

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012

2012 Felt F3

Well I've gathered enough posts now so I figured I should start my own thread and share my F3!

A little about myself: I picked up my first road bike in July of 2011 to supplement my fitness for my motorcycling addiction - I'd hoped it would at least be bareable. Well I was hooked immediately and I've barely ridden my motorcycle since. My first bike (still have for the trainer) is a 2009 Trek 2.1. In November I bought a closeout 2010 Specialized Tarmac Elite that was a great improvement, I really enjoyed riding the bike and the improved stiffness of a carbon frame. I decided that I'd like to try my hand at racing this year and with that came an opportunity to pick up a new Felt - so I opted to be rid of the Specialized and be on a brand carried by my local shop (to support the team who's supporting me this season) and along came the F3!

Enough small talk.

Here's the bike after a quick assembly at the shop

The bike came REDdy to go

I was pretty hell bent on running a carbon railed saddle and also had a set of ROL wheels I wanted to stick with (that needed new tires) so given the time of year and the horrible weather I made the painful decision to leave the bike at the shop until some Continental GP4000s tires arrived along with a Thomson Masterpiece post and Ritchey C260 stem.

Felt stem (right on the money as far as claimed weight)

Ritchey WCS 260

Fork before steerer chop

After chop

The bars aren't really weenie weight but they're plenty stiff!

And I found so many discrepancies with published weights (not from Felt) on the SRAM crank that I figured I'd just pull it off and weigh it myself

Not too bad at all, especially considering the versatility! If I want to run standard rings, no problem! Power meter? No problem!
    And finally the Fizik Antares Braided saddle

How she sits today!

Thanks for looking!

Born to chase Ducks
    Sweet!
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
    I cannot decide whether the seafoam green Lounge kit is cursed or a suit of armor that protects us...like a lycra St. Christopher's medal.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    That's one badass machine!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    As a Raiders fan, possibly the best looking bike I've ever seen.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Thanks for that... time to dig out my paint brush

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    Dude, don't you dare paint that bike!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Very nice. How does she ride? I am always interested to hear what F Series riders have to say about comfort and stiffness. How does it accelerate? How about comfort on those long rides?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    The bike rides fantastic. I came off an older Tarmac (2010 Elite) that was a lot stiffer than the Trek 2.1 it replaced. The Felt definitely feels quite a bit quicker when I stomp on it - what surprises me most though is how much character the bike has even while being so stiff. There are some pretty bumpy roads around and I'd definitely say it's a nicer ride than the Tarmac was on the same surfaces - the fact that it also feels quicker is a great bonus.
    Longest ride to date on it was 70 miles. The bike was great - it was my first ride on a new seat that was just a touch too far back though, that wasn't so great. It's as smooth as I need it to be, I didn't buy this bike with the intention of pure comfort - I wanted a race bike that I would enjoy training on as well and I think it fits that bill perfectly. I really think this bike is overlooked among the rankings and it shouldn't be!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Thanks, that confirms what I thought.