bkw
    Pedal Faster!
    Aug 2014

2014 AR Seat Tube Rub - Diagnosis needed

hey All, I had posted this in the Ask Felt thread, but not sure I'm getting the right visibility and need some advice from the experts around here.

For the Tour of the Battenkill this past weekend, I used a 25mm Specialized all-Conditions Armadillo tire and didn't check the clearances before the start. The rear tire rubbed pretty badly, bad enough that on the dirt sections I had to walk it because the tiny rocks and gravel would get caught between the tire and seat tube and would stop the rear tire from spinning.

After the race, I took the wheel off and did some inspecting. I've added two photos - one with flash, and one without.

The part that concerns me is the photo with the flash, particularly the left side of the layup where you can see that I've rubbed into the carbon weave.

I'm really hoping that Felt used a few extra layers of fiber here because of it being a potential wear spot, but would like an expert to chime in and reassure me.. Or tell me that it's junk and time for me to find a new frameset.

Thanks!!

Last edited by bkw; 05-24-2016 at 10:12 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Does not look to terrible w/o the flash and that carbon pattern may just be a cosmetic layer. I still would get it looked at. That picture with the flash is disturbing. I always check clearances and this is why.

3T Cycling
    May 2009
    [QUOTE=bkw;5032071]hey All, I had posted this in the Ask Felt thread, but not sure I'm getting the right visibility and need some advice from the experts around here.

I'm really hoping that Felt used a few extra layers of fiber here because of it being a potential wear spot, but would like an expert to chime in and reassure me.. Or tell me that it's junk and time for me to find a new frameset.

A seat tube is not a wear item. Adding extra material here for the 1/100,000 cases where this type of interference would just be a disservice to the 99,999 consumers who do not experience the riding conditions of Battenkill. With that said, the AR3/AR5 likely has abundant material to handle the surface scratches shown in the photos. The area is low stress to be sure. I'd wager a careful clean up of the area with 220, then 800 then 1200 grit paper would reduce the appearance of the scratches. In the next race you do in the mud put down a layer of reinforced packing tape liberally coated with a non-stick spray to protect your frame.

-SD