Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

2016 Felt Cyclocross!!

38K views 54 replies 17 participants last post by  Superdave3T 
#1 ·
#3 · (Edited)
Now, that's what I'm talking about Felt! Nice job, SD, you guys have outdone yourself this time. BB386, thru axles, high quality carbon, fair prices, internal cable routing, and cool paint jobs...what's not to love. This might have just moved to the top of the favorite bikes list (bumping the Jamis Renegade, GT Grade, and Specialized Diverge down a few notches). Very impressive work. I hope the new F-Series follows the same design features. If so, watch out world, Felt isn't messing around.

#6 ·
Thanks, I'm very excited about the new FX platform.
I'm also a fan of that Renegade but these are cyclo-cross bikes first. As a racing company our focus is on the performance end of the spectrum. The Renegade and Grade are more similar to our V-series (albeit with carbon options) and you won't see them under guys contesting World Cup CX events.

What new F-series? ;)

-SD

#13 ·
Yeah, Felt is typically pretty good about giving you a glimpse of what's in store early as they can. I like that as I think the element of surprise thing is overrated for most of us. If you wait too long, we lose interest, start window shopping again, and fall in love with something else. Getting a glimpse helps keep the excitement going if you ask me.

#14 · (Edited)
Released at sea otter:

That would make for a hell of a gravel grinder.
That would be my goal as well as rides like Southern Cross here in Georgia will likely be the major events on my calendar each year. The winners and/or most competitive riders in these kinds of events still tend to be on cyclocross bikes. Adventure bikes are closing the gap, but the cyclocross bikes still seem like they are the faster rides. One of the key factors in whether this bike and others like it will be good fits on those courses is the BB drop. 65 might be less than ideal for these kinds of events, but something in the 67-70 range would likely be just fine. Tire clearance is another major issue, but Felt covered you on that one with 36mm clearance, which should certainly be enough. The video for the new Santa Cruz Stigmata is a good example of what I would be thinking of doing with a bike like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLbt-Nu1jyk

#19 ·
I'm not sure I'm clear with your description but are you suggesting that 2mm of BB drop makes a bike less than ideal in a gravel vs. 'cross situation? I've never heard that. Can you elaborate on why this, and not the steeper head angle and agile handling aren't a greater deterrent for gravel road racing? Same with the low head tube height of a 'cross bike designed for 55 minutes of 'cross racing vs. say the 8+ hour BWR sufferfest or 200mi Dirty Kanza?

-SD

#27 ·
Tuesday.
Imagine last year's F2x but with this year's graphics package.

The 1x SRAM CX1 group is the go-to set up for the guys here at the office with the CX-racers typically running 42t x 11-28t or even 11-25t on flatter courses and the "adventure" set ups getting 38t with 11-36t. We've also discovered the Shimano XTR and XT 11 speed MTB 11-40t cassettes which fit on road 10speed freehubs shift just fine with the Force x1 rear derailleurs.

The F4x and F3x share the same frame, too.

-SD

#28 ·
If the 2016 F85X has Tiagra 4700 and a similar price and spec as the 2015 model, I will be all over that! I need a new bike for the fall and winter. I used to have a 2012 F75X but sold it. Not a great move on my part, but the 2016 F85X will help me forgive myself for that :)

#31 ·
Unfortunately The F4x is ugly as sin.
Hey, I'm right here. That hurts.

I happen to love the Pistachio hue and based on the sales and reaction from our 2015 F2x that used this color, so do a couple thousand others.
There are Felt dealers who will order you the bike you want and outfit it with the components of your choosing by swapping the parts you need. I see this often with high end sales where crank, bar, stem, cassette, and other size specific items are dictated by the consumer.

Not every dealer would do this for an Ultegra --> Force swap but I'm betting you find one.

SD

#34 ·
Yes, which model are you interested in. I've got the files in excel but I can't post them here without a loss of format. If you'd like to send me an email I can pass them along. You can order the bikes now, some models are already in stock, some are on the water having been produced and shipped from Taiwan, and some will go into production now based on June release of the all new components from SRAM (F4x, F55x)

Depending on where you are on the globe, delivery could be immediate (bikes are stocked by many of our retailers) or weeks away (F4x, F55x).

-SD

#42 ·
Hello?
Will the 2016 geometry be exact same. If not, I'd love to hear changes. Still no info on the website. I'm a tweener size and ideally want a something in between the 53 and 55. Actually the 53 with 100mm stem and about 40mm of spacers works pretty well except for the toe over lap.
Wish knew if going to 55 but downsizing stem to an 80mm and dropping all spacers would fit similarly--just longer wheelbase.

#45 ·
SuperdaveFelt or other Carbon Cross riders.
I have my next bike down to an F55x or F4x.
I really want the F4x, but am nervous about riding and racing a carbon frame.
I'm 230lbs and pretty aggressive. I ride single track for training, and bunny-hop obstacle from time to time.
Should I fear the Carbon Frame for Cross?
Thanks
Josiah

#48 ·
Yes, we will have an F55X this fall. In fact, it's already in stock in our US warehouse. I'm not sure what the ETA to Canada is, but they typically receive their stock at about the same time as the US

If you're looking to use the F5X for this CX season, you're better off looking at the F55X or F65X, as the ETA still has not been confirmed.

Details on the F55X can be found here

#49 ·
Handlebar width on 2016 cyclocross models

Thanks SD -- I just got word that the bikes arrived today in the Canadian warehouse, and I ordered my F65x!

A question about the geometry: I am anticipating that I will need to swap out the handlebar for a narrower one. I ride a ZW5 at present, size M, I believe the bar width is 38cm? How wide will the bars on the size 50 F65x be? I note the specs say "47 - 50cm = 420 / 450mm", does that mean 45mm?

If I needed different handlebars, is it easy for my dealer to order smaller ones directly from Felt (does the Canadian warehouse stock them or do they come from the US)? At present, they have suggested swapping out with whatever brand they have in store.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.