Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 55
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    26

    2016 Felt Cyclocross!!

    Released at sea otter:

    SOC15: All-new Felt FX TeXtreme Cyclocross bikes get lighter, stiffer & hotter ? plus updated Compulsion mountain bikes

    This is a really compelling bike. They show specs down to the F4X with Force 1; my immediate thought is will there be a F5X with Rival 1? That would make for a hell of a gravel grinder.

  2. #2
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    98
    Saw them at the Sea Otter. Nice looking bikes. Love to ride one.

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    5,467
    Now, that's what I'm talking about Felt! Nice job, SD, you guys have outdone yourself this time. BB386, thru axles, high quality carbon, fair prices, internal cable routing, and cool paint jobs...what's not to love. This might have just moved to the top of the favorite bikes list (bumping the Jamis Renegade, GT Grade, and Specialized Diverge down a few notches). Very impressive work. I hope the new F-Series follows the same design features. If so, watch out world, Felt isn't messing around.
    Last edited by Rashadabd; 04-19-2015 at 06:33 PM.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

  4. #4
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    148
    This in a Z please

  5. #5
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    5,467
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

  6. #6
    3T Cycling
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,220
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashadabd View Post
    Now, that's what I'm talking about Felt! Nice job, SD, you guys have outdone yourself this time. BB386, thru axles, high quality carbon, fair prices, internal cable routing, and cool paint jobs...what's not to love. This might have just moved to the top of the favorite bikes list (bumping the Jamis Renegade, GT Grade, and Specialized Diverge down a few notches). Very impressive work. I hope the new F-Series follows the same design features. If so, watch out world, Felt isn't messing around.
    Thanks, I'm very excited about the new FX platform.
    I'm also a fan of that Renegade but these are cyclo-cross bikes first. As a racing company our focus is on the performance end of the spectrum. The Renegade and Grade are more similar to our V-series (albeit with carbon options) and you won't see them under guys contesting World Cup CX events.

    What new F-series? ;)

    -SD

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    5,467
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperdaveFelt View Post
    Thanks, I'm very excited about the new FX platform.
    I'm also a fan of that Renegade but these are cyclo-cross bikes first. As a racing company our focus is on the performance end of the spectrum. The Renegade and Grade are more similar to our V-series (albeit with carbon options) and you won't see them under guys contesting World Cup CX events.

    What new F-series? ;)

    -SD
    Uh huh... LOL! I can't wait man. Congrats again.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

  8. #8
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    148
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperdaveFelt View Post

    What new F-series? ;)

    -SD
    Oh oh

  9. #9
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    5,467
    I am loving this look.

    2016 Felt Cyclocross!!-2016-felt-cyclocross-cxmagazine-img_0448-edit_1.jpg
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

  10. #10
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    26
    Totally agree. That bike is drool-worth, down to the colors.

    Btw, this may just be a glitch, but it doesn't look like we'll have to wait long for the official spec...

    EDIT: See two posts down, upload from phone didn't come through...
    Last edited by stephenrheard; 04-20-2015 at 05:19 PM.

  11. #11
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    5,467
    Quote Originally Posted by stephenrheard View Post
    Totally agree. That bike is drool-worth, down to the colors.

    Btw, this may just be a glitch, but it doesn't look like we'll have to wait long for the official spec...

    Attachment 305353
    The link didn't work for some reason.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

  12. #12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    26
    2016 Felt Cyclocross!!-image.jpg

  13. #13
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    5,467
    Quote Originally Posted by stephenrheard View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	909 
Size:	55.4 KB 
ID:	305354
    Yeah, Felt is typically pretty good about giving you a glimpse of what's in store early as they can. I like that as I think the element of surprise thing is overrated for most of us. If you wait too long, we lose interest, start window shopping again, and fall in love with something else. Getting a glimpse helps keep the excitement going if you ask me.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

  14. #14
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    5,467
    Quote Originally Posted by stephenrheard View Post
    Released at sea otter:

    That would make for a hell of a gravel grinder.
    That would be my goal as well as rides like Southern Cross here in Georgia will likely be the major events on my calendar each year. The winners and/or most competitive riders in these kinds of events still tend to be on cyclocross bikes. Adventure bikes are closing the gap, but the cyclocross bikes still seem like they are the faster rides. One of the key factors in whether this bike and others like it will be good fits on those courses is the BB drop. 65 might be less than ideal for these kinds of events, but something in the 67-70 range would likely be just fine. Tire clearance is another major issue, but Felt covered you on that one with 36mm clearance, which should certainly be enough. The video for the new Santa Cruz Stigmata is a good example of what I would be thinking of doing with a bike like this.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLbt-Nu1jyk
    Last edited by Rashadabd; 04-21-2015 at 06:44 PM.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

  15. #15
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    1
    Anyone heard rumor of the release date of the Felt 2016 cx line yet? I am looking to buy a cx bike now, but would wait for these if they are not too far away!

  16. #16
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    5,467
    Quote Originally Posted by ridingincircles View Post
    Anyone heard rumor of the release date of the Felt 2016 cx line yet? I am looking to buy a cx bike now, but would wait for these if they are not too far away!
    One of the articles said July or August.

    Revamped Felt Fx carbon cyclocross bikes unveiled at Sea Otter Classic | Cyclingnews.com
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

  17. #17
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,348
    Is the geometry different than the previous years? I can't get any info to pull up inder new release besides the heading
    Dogma, synapse disc, caad 10, de rosa neo primato, felt CX, epic, fat bike

  18. #18
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    866
    No wonder I got such a deal on my 2014 F5X. Bummed about external cables, but its so much more comfortable than my Ridley was.
    Tis the season for all of us not hard enough to play to belittle those not hard enough to win. We are a funny lot. - dave @ November Bicycles

  19. #19
    3T Cycling
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,220
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashadabd View Post
    That would be my goal as well as rides like Southern Cross here in Georgia will likely be the major events on my calendar each year. The winners and/or most competitive riders in these kinds of events still tend to be on cyclocross bikes. Adventure bikes are closing the gap, but the cyclocross bikes still seem like they are the faster rides. One of the key factors in whether this bike and others like it will be good fits on those courses is the BB drop. 65 might be less than ideal for these kinds of events, but something in the 67-70 range would likely be just fine. Tire clearance is another major issue, but Felt covered you on that one with 36mm clearance, which should certainly be enough. The video for the new Santa Cruz Stigmata is a good example of what I would be thinking of doing with a bike like this.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLbt-Nu1jyk
    I'm not sure I'm clear with your description but are you suggesting that 2mm of BB drop makes a bike less than ideal in a gravel vs. 'cross situation? I've never heard that. Can you elaborate on why this, and not the steeper head angle and agile handling aren't a greater deterrent for gravel road racing? Same with the low head tube height of a 'cross bike designed for 55 minutes of 'cross racing vs. say the 8+ hour BWR sufferfest or 200mi Dirty Kanza?

    -SD

  20. #20
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    5,467
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperdaveFelt View Post
    I'm not sure I'm clear with your description but are you suggesting that 2mm of BB drop makes a bike less than ideal in a gravel vs. 'cross situation? I've never heard that. Can you elaborate on why this, and not the steeper head angle and agile handling aren't a greater deterrent for gravel road racing? Same with the low head tube height of a 'cross bike designed for 55 minutes of 'cross racing vs. say the 8+ hour BWR sufferfest or 200mi Dirty Kanza?

    -SD
    One word-stability- on less than ideal terrain. Not one gravel grinder/ adventure bike I can think of has gone with a bb higher than 68. The same need for pedaling through corners and clearing obstacles just isn't there, so the upside to sacrificing the benefits of a lower sitting center just isn't present. I agree that they tend to have 1-2cm higher head tubes as well, but I am not overly concerned with that given the bikes I have ridden in the past. For example, Specialized even has the bb at 70 for the Crux line. They just feel like the cons outweigh the pros for a race bike. Trek does the same with the Boone and Santa Cruz is at 69 with Stigmata. A number of people use those bikes as adventure bikes, gravel grinders, and all terrain/ any road bikes as a result. Some have even given up on pure road bikes after switching to them because of all you can do with them once you get a couple of sets of wheels.

    Really, it only seems like the Euro bikes that are purely designed and marketed for cross racing seem to be clinging to the higher bbs. There's nothing wrong with doing that in my opinion, it's just not what I and others like me are looking for because my interest is a racy adventure bike/gravel grinder and not a pure cx machine.
    Last edited by Rashadabd; 04-22-2015 at 11:13 AM.

  21. #21
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    5,467
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashadabd View Post
    One word-stability- on less than ideal terrain. Not one gravel grinder/ adventure bike I can think of has gone with a bb higher than 68. The same need for pedaling through corners and clearing obstacles just isn't there, so the upside to sacrificing the benefits of a lower sitting center just isn't present. I agree that they tend to have 1-2cm higher head tubes as well, but I am not overly concerned with that given the bikes I have ridden in the past. For example, Specialized even has the bb at 70 for the Crux line. They just feel like the cons outweigh the pros for a race bike. Trek does the same with the Boone and Santa Cruz is at 69 with Stigmata. A number of people use those bikes as adventure bikes, gravel grinders, and all terrain/ any road bikes as a result. Some have even given up on pure road bikes after switching to them because of all you can do with them once you get a couple of sets of wheels.

    Really, it only seems like the Euro bikes that are purely designed and marketed for cross racing seem to be clinging to the higher bbs. There's nothing wrong with doing that in my opinion, it's just not what I and others like me are looking for beause my interest is a racy adventure bike/gravel grinder and not a pure cx machine.
    Specialized actually used a 71 bb drop on the crux and like a 77 on the Diverge depending on the size. It's not the end of the world, it just depends on what you are looking for and what you want to do with the bike.
    Last edited by Rashadabd; 04-22-2015 at 11:14 AM.

  22. #22
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    5,467
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashadabd View Post
    Specialized actually used a 71 bb drop on the crux and like a 77 on the Diverge depending on the size.
    Here's some reviews of the crux that talk a little bit about it in the ride section:

    Specialized CruX Pro Carbon review - BikeRadar USA

    Specialized Crux Pro Race Red Disc — Cyclocross Bike Review - Cyclocross Magazine - Cyclocross News, Races, Bikes, Photos, Videos

    Jamis also talks about it in their Renegade video as does GT I believe. Here's the Jamis video:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KeBo1mqvOY
    Last edited by Rashadabd; 04-22-2015 at 11:25 AM.

  23. #23
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    5,467
    Last edited by Rashadabd; 04-22-2015 at 01:24 PM.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

  24. #24
    3T Cycling
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,220
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashadabd View Post
    Specialized actually used a 71 bb drop on the crux and like a 77 on the Diverge depending on the size. It's not the end of the world, it just depends on what you are looking for and what you want to do with the bike.
    I ask because we use 74mm BB drop for the frames we make for the pros who contest the cobbled spring classics. I've used that bike for road, crit and 'cross races in the past. I also have our previous generation F1x and find no difference in stability. A very slight shift in my CoM by bending my elbows or riding the drops does far more than a couple mm of BB drop could ever do to aid high speed handling. The biggest adjustment I found significant is the trail and specifically the added stability of the F1 PR vs. the F1x. While the average speeds of gravel and CX races may be similar the range of speeds on the road/gravel races I've done is far greater. On the 'cross bike I'm running when the speed dips much below 10 kph and seldom reach 45 kph except when I've got the energy to sprint at the finish. On the other hand, I've ground out long climbs and hovered just below 5mph for ~1 hour and hit 50mph on the descents.

    The F1x is a performance cyclo-cross bike first. It is capable as a gravel race bike but that was not our primary design objective; a World Cup worthy 'cross frame was.

    -SD

  25. #25
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    5,467
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperdaveFelt View Post
    I ask because we use 74mm BB drop for the frames we make for the pros who contest the cobbled spring classics. I've used that bike for road, crit and 'cross races in the past. I also have our previous generation F1x and find no difference in stability. A very slight shift in my CoM by bending my elbows or riding the drops does far more than a couple mm of BB drop could ever do to aid high speed handling. The biggest adjustment I found significant is the trail and specifically the added stability of the F1 PR vs. the F1x. While the average speeds of gravel and CX races may be similar the range of speeds on the road/gravel races I've done is far greater. On the 'cross bike I'm running when the speed dips much below 10 kph and seldom reach 45 kph except when I've got the energy to sprint at the finish. On the other hand, I've ground out long climbs and hovered just below 5mph for ~1 hour and hit 50mph on the descents.

    The F1x is a performance cyclo-cross bike first. It is capable as a gravel race bike but that was not our primary design objective; a World Cup worthy 'cross frame was.

    -SD
    I personally think that's awesome and I'm not criticizing the bike at all, I just think that it may not be the bike for everyone these days and that's ok. As I indicated before, I think this is a great bike. Like all bikes, the geometry may dictate who it is truly a great bike for, but it seems like a really good design. I am still very interested (I'm guessing by your response that you guys stuck with the 65mm), but some people feel they can tell the difference and prefer a bb that leads to a bike that feels a lot like a road race bike. To each his own I say. I kind of dig a lower bb in the 70mm range for many of the reasons discussed by the folks from Santa Cruz in this video, but that's me and I'm not a cross racer:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYEvs2pB--M&app=desktop
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-18-2016, 09:16 AM
  2. 2012 Felt Cyclocross
    By Superdave3T in forum Felt
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 08-27-2011, 03:35 PM
  3. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-07-2007, 05:21 AM
  4. felt bikes
    By brad nicholson in forum Bikes, Frames and Forks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-18-2004, 05:01 AM
  5. Felt Bikes
    By brad nicholson in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-18-2004, 04:08 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •