Page 2 of 63 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask FELT!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperdaveFelt View Post
    The F65x (and all SRAM 'Cross cranks) use 130mm B.C.D.
    -SD
    Interesting. Most cross specific cranks are 46/36. You said above that a 130 BCD can only go down to a 38T.

Something special about SRAM?

tmb
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2003
    Thanks for the reply Dave.

Simon-
    Felt's website lists the F65x w/ a S300 BB30, 46/38t. What I find odd is Sram's lack of detail about the S300, no tech info at all and only one pic. And that pic shows a 50/34t 110bcd.

Don't even have the bike yet and I'm already researching upgrades. It's a sickness, I tell ya!

T

RoadBikeReview Member
    I think the S300 is one of their "OEM only" parts. That is, it's for manufacturer's to spec as they wish.

tmb
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2003
    Yet they list tech info on the S900 and S500. It's not a huge deal, I just found it odd.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010

Parts on the Felt Website...

Was looking to upgrade to some DEVOX carbon handlebars after the holidays and I am not seeing to much DEVOX parts at all on there will more be coming soon? Also, how does felt measure handlebars, is it center to center? Thank you!

Derek
    Suffolk, VA

RoadBikeReview Member

Yea, DEVOX Parts!!

I'm wondering the same thing. When can we see some Devox parts, or are they no longer? I have the stem and bars, and would love a seatpost option to complete the look.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    My LBS told me to bring my new ride (Z4) in for a checkup to tighten things up after 500 miles. Ive got about 700 miles on her and everything is still perfect. Shifting, braking, everything is spot on. I take meticulous care of her between rides so it looks as new as the day I brought her home. So my question is is it really a necessity to go see my LBS already? Ive got free maintenance for the first year so that gives me until next October.

feltbicycles.com
    Quote Originally Posted by theburrills View Post
    Was looking to upgrade to some DEVOX carbon handlebars after the holidays and I am not seeing to much DEVOX parts at all on there will more be coming soon? Also, how does felt measure handlebars, is it center to center? Thank you!

Derek
    Suffolk, VA
    Our road handlebars are measured C-C.

I don't have any info on when we might be seeing new Devox parts. I'll look into it and post what I can in the near future.

feltbicycles.com
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonandrew76 View Post
    My LBS told me to bring my new ride (Z4) in for a checkup to tighten things up after 500 miles. Ive got about 700 miles on her and everything is still perfect. Shifting, braking, everything is spot on. I take meticulous care of her between rides so it looks as new as the day I brought her home. So my question is is it really a necessity to go see my LBS already? Ive got free maintenance for the first year so that gives me until next October.
    Most LBS's will use 500 miles or 30 days as a general guideline. If you don't feel that your bike needs it yet, there should be no problem in waiting, especially if your LBS provides you with 1 yr free service.

On the other hand, it's FREE service, so it can't hurt. Also, it should be noted that shops will generally check things during a tune-up that you may not notice or feel while riding and/or cleaning your bike.

That said, routine and thorough cleaning is one of, if not the, best preventative measure you can take to keep the bike running smoothly and properly.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011

Z5 adjustable stem question

I am the proud owner of a 2011 Z5 and totally love this bike!

I was playing with the adjustable stem but can't figure out how to make all the 3 available angles. (+/- 5, 10, 15 deg)

The stem was setup at 15 deg. from the LBS

I understand that turning the sleeve half a turn will bring it down to 5 deg but how am I supposed to adjust for 10 deg?

TIA

RoadBikeReview Member
    Deleted by JogBike.
    Last edited by JogBike; 01-17-2012 at 06:22 PM.

3T Cycling
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by lesurfman View Post
    I am the proud owner of a 2011 Z5 and totally love this bike!

I was playing with the adjustable stem but can't figure out how to make all the 3 available angles. (+/- 5, 10, 15 deg)

The stem was setup at 15 deg. from the LBS

I understand that turning the sleeve half a turn will bring it down to 5 deg but how am I supposed to adjust for 10 deg?

TIA
    There is a shim available without an eccentric that simply reduces the inner I.D. to 28.6mm. Of course you've got the headset spacers below the stem to adjust the bar position also.

-SD

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    There is a shim available without an eccentric that simply reduces the inner I.D. to 28.6mm. Of course you've got the headset spacers below the stem to adjust the bar position also.

-SD
    Thanks SuperDave, Does the straight reducer supposed to come with the bike?
    I only have the eccentric one installed on the bike.

Another question, Is the Z5 seat post compatible with FIZIK 7x9 carbon rail seat?

tmb
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2003

Ship date??

Still trying to get a concrete ship date for the F65x cx bike? All my lbs could get was "January".

Anyone?
    Bueller?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    Wondering if you could provide the specs on the wheel set that came on my F75x

CXR3 cross wheels. I can't seem to find much info beyond the commonly published specs.

Specifically I'm looking for weight and rim width. Thanks!

3T Cycling
    May 2009
    The complete wheelset weight will vary as there is a 2-3% tolerance on spoke mass and ~10% on rims. The best way to get an accurate weight on the wheels is to weigh the pair that came with the bike as it is unlikely that the pair I'd dig up would be exactly the same weight.

The rims are advertised at 450g. They are 23.0mm wide at the braking surface and 18.6mm on the bead seat. They are optimized for 28-33mm tires to provide a stable platform for the tire to roll at lower pressures. They are made from 6061 aluminum and use a CNC machined sidewall after rolling for precise parallel and flat braking surface. The braking surface height was also increased so larger cantilever and linear-pull brake pads can fully contact the rim's surface, something many off-the-shelf road wheels lack.

Ask FELT!-felt-cxr-rim-extrusion-die.jpg

Was there anything else you wanted to know about the wheels?

-SD
    Last edited by Superdave3T; 01-02-2012 at 06:26 PM. Reason: added rim drawing

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    I have a seatpost question. Ive got a 2012 Z4, and I love it btw. I am a bit concerned about my seatpost having some flex in it. Im about 6'4", 220 lbs. Im only about an inch or so from being at the minimum insert line on the seatpost. Coming from a tri bike with a big thick aero post with zero flex im just a little worried someday my seatpost is going to snap. Im not talking a lot of flex here, but there is a little. I know its due to the more relaxed geometry and the angle of insertion of the seatpost combined with the height i need the seatpost to be for my size. I have moved my seat forward a little on the rails to maybe help take some of the load off the post. Am i freaking out on this one? Im also worried about damaging the frame where the post goes in...Let me know..Thanks!!

3T Cycling
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonandrew76 View Post
    I have a seatpost question. Ive got a 2012 Z4, and I love it btw. I am a bit concerned about my seatpost having some flex in it. Im about 6'4", 220 lbs. Im only about an inch or so from being at the minimum insert line on the seatpost. Coming from a tri bike with a big thick aero post with zero flex im just a little worried someday my seatpost is going to snap. Im not talking a lot of flex here, but there is a little. I know its due to the more relaxed geometry and the angle of insertion of the seatpost combined with the height i need the seatpost to be for my size. I have moved my seat forward a little on the rails to maybe help take some of the load off the post. Am i freaking out on this one? Im also worried about damaging the frame where the post goes in...Let me know..Thanks!!
    What you are experiencing is part of the design intent of the Z-series line which puts ride quality atop the objectives. The sloping top tube and greater exposed 27.2mm diameter seatpost creates more vertical compliance without adding flex to the frame for power transmission. Integrated, aero, and oversize (31.6-32.4mm) seatposts do not offer this same level of cockpit compliance. Some seatposts flex less than others and the Z series posts are tuned to increase the ride comfort. A few brands like Syntace and Canyon actually make different stiffnesses in the seatpost they offer.

If you want a stiffer ride, an aluminum seatpost such as a Thomson, Ritchey or FSA might be an option for you. Other brands like MOOTS might provide even more give with their titanium construction.

Regards,
    -SD

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    What you are experiencing is part of the design intent of the Z-series line which puts ride quality atop the objectives. The sloping top tube and greater exposed 27.2mm diameter seatpost creates more vertical compliance without adding flex to the frame for power transmission. Integrated, aero, and oversize (31.6-32.4mm) seatposts do not offer this same level of cockpit compliance. Some seatposts flex less than others and the Z series posts are tuned to increase the ride comfort. A few brands like Syntace and Canyon actually make different stiffnesses in the seatpost they offer.

If you want a stiffer ride, an aluminum seatpost such as a Thomson, Ritchey or FSA might be an option for you. Other brands like MOOTS might provide even more give with their titanium construction.

Regards,
    -SD
    Thanks for the reply SD!! My biggest concern was simply from a safety perspective being that i was only an inch or so from the minimum insert line and i am a clydesdale . I know the flex helps with eating up the road vibration and giving me a smooth ride which i totally love and dont want to trade for anything. I guess I was just looking for some peace of mind that im safe

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    The complete wheelset weight will vary as there is a 2-3% tolerance on spoke mass and ~10% on rims. The best way to get an accurate weight on the wheels is to weigh the pair that came with the bike as it is unlikely that the pair I'd dig up would be exactly the same weight.

The rims are advertised at 450g. They are 23.0mm wide at the braking surface and 18.6mm on the bead seat. They are optimized for 28-33mm tires to provide a stable platform for the tire to roll at lower pressures. They are made from 6061 aluminum and use a CNC machined sidewall after rolling for precise parallel and flat braking surface. The braking surface height was also increased so larger cantilever and linear-pull brake pads can fully contact the rim's surface, something many off-the-shelf road wheels lack.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Felt CXR Rim Extrusion Die.jpg 
Views:	388 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	248425

Was there anything else you wanted to know about the wheels?

-SD
    Superdave, awesome. Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SuperdaveFelt

-SD
    Thanks SuperDave, Does the Z5 10deg. straight stem reducer was supposed to come with the bike?
    I only got the eccentric one installed on the bike.

Another question, Is the Z5 seat post compatible with FIZIK 7x9 carbon rail seat?

3T Cycling
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by lesurfman View Post
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SuperdaveFelt

-SD
    Thanks SuperDave, Does the Z5 10deg. straight stem reducer was supposed to come with the bike?
    I only got the eccentric one installed on the bike.

No, the straight shim only came with the stem if it was purchased as a stand alone aftermarket piece, not with a bike since the headset stack wouldn't be trimmed and any hieght/position could still be obtained.

The Z5 seatpost from 2011 will not fit the 7x9 Fizik rails, sorry.

-SD

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Can this straight shim be ordered from Felt?
    Price?

Thanks a lot SuperD

Yves

No, the straight shim only came with the stem if it was purchased as a stand alone aftermarket piece, not with a bike since the headset stack wouldn't be trimmed and any hieght/position could still be obtained.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011

Question Options for the F4 to Compact Gearing

Damian,
    Thank you for your business, the F4 is a great machine, a workhorse in the F-series line. The standard 53/39t crankset uses a 130mm bolt circle diameter (B.C.D.) This size only allows for chainrings down to 38t, any smaller and the attachement bolts will interfere with the chain/ring interface. If you want to swap to compact gearing you'll need at least, the drive side crank arm and chainrings. You don't need a complete new crankset with bottom bracket and the left crank arm although it may be difficult to source just the drive side. The "compact" on the 50/34t crankset refers not just to the smaller rings but also the B.C.D. which is 110mm on the Shimano Ultegra cranks.
    If the only change you make is to go to 50-34t then you'll also want to shorten the chain.

One option you might consider is a new cassette. The stock 11-25t cassette could be changed to a 12-28t or 11-28t and Shimano recently introduced a 12-30t option as well. Techically speaking the 30t exceeds the current "28t max" cog size on the Ultegra RD but it remains within the published capacity. It might be worth a try at your locall Felt Dealer to verify the function with a 12-30t cassette. That would be the most affordable alternative to get a lower gear range.

One change you'll see on Felt's 2012 models is the use of "performance compact" gearing with more models using the 52/36t chainring size on compact 110mm BCD. This has proven more versatile for many of our consumers. This option will be found on many 2012 Felt models and you'll see it being used from more brands in the industry in 2013.

-SD
    Dave,
    Thanks for the response.
    My LBS has an FSA Gossamer crankset on clearance (50/34). Will this fit or will I need to change the BB?
    I think the FSA uses the Shimano Splined BB but I could be wrong.
    How much work is there in swapping this out?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2008

stupid question

for sd, two parts stupid, really

first, how did the recall affect availability of 2011 f5? i am looking to save bread on last year's model before the 012's roll in. i suspect the recall is affecting what went out and what's left over. maybe im wrong, who knows. otherwise its been tough to find one in size, and the '012's are kinda priced out of reach, at least for me. if i could find an '11 for under 18, gonna make my next choice a tough one. help.

and two, what are the differences between the '011 and '012 f5's? as i say 2500 is a lot for me, probably out of range, in fact. nonetheless it 'd be nice what the extra five hundred is for. thanks homie

Page 2 of 63 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast