Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Ask FELT!

381K views 2K replies 370 participants last post by  toonarmy20 
#1 ·
Have a tech question regarding your Felt? Not sure if a certain part will be compatible? Just have a general question about your bike or Felt?

Here's your chance to get answers from the source! Ask away!

#4 ·
Hi John,

I assume you mean via the US website? Since we are the US distributor, we are only able to ship product to US addresses. In order to get P/A in the UK you would need to order via our UK distributor. Here is their contact info:

Saddleback Ltd.
Unit 10,
Easter Court,
Woodward Avenue,
Yate,
Bristol, BS37 5YS
UK

Phone: +44 1454 285285
Fax: +44 1454 285286

Email: info@saddleback.co.uk
Web: Felt Bicycles

#10 ·
Wow. This is great. I want to get a 3 speed Claire type cruiser for my 9 year-old daughter, but here's the catch. I want a plain unpainted bike.....like the Felt Cruiser Frame is offered.

My daughter is an aspiring artist and she would love to paint her own design on the bike.

Any chance I can order a bike in the raw....or do I need to get a bike and have it stripped?

Thanks! BTW....my new DA3 is at the shop being built as we speak and I'm going into get fit first thing tomorrow AM. My first Felt!!!

#11 ·
Nevermiss-

Currently the only unpainted option we have available is the Canvas Cruiser, so that would be your best option. Please be aware that stripping and repainting the Claire, or any of our painted bikes, will void the manufacturer's warranty.

Congrats on the DA3! I'm sure you will love it!

#12 ·
Thanks wpcouch! I had a feeling that would be the case. I think the style/geometry of the Claire is much better suited for a 9 year-old girl, so I think I'll get her the Claire and if she wants to paint it....then I'll go from from there. I feel much more comfortable voiding the warranty on the Claire than on my DA3!

However....I also plan to get a Canvas Cruiser for me and I can just let her paint my bike if she wants!

We'll be a 3 Felt family by Christmas.

#13 ·
I have a 2011 F4 with the standard double gearing (53/39) crankset. Two questions:-
1. Can I simply change the rings on the crankset to 50/34 (compact gearing), or do I need to buy a new crakset?, and,
2. If I make that change will I need to modify chain length or use different rear derailleur?

Thanks,
Damian.

#14 · (Edited)
Damian,
Thank you for your business, the F4 is a great machine, a workhorse in the F-series line. The standard 53/39t crankset uses a 130mm bolt circle diameter (B.C.D.) This size only allows for chainrings down to 38t, any smaller and the attachement bolts will interfere with the chain/ring interface. If you want to swap to compact gearing you'll need at least, the drive side crank arm and chainrings. You don't need a complete new crankset with bottom bracket and the left crank arm although it may be difficult to source just the drive side. The "compact" on the 50/34t crankset refers not just to the smaller rings but also the B.C.D. which is 110mm on the Shimano Ultegra cranks.
If the only change you make is to go to 50-34t then you'll also want to shorten the chain.

One option you might consider is a new cassette. The stock 11-25t cassette could be changed to a 12-28t or 11-28t and Shimano recently introduced a 12-30t option as well. Techically speaking the 30t exceeds the current "28t max" cog size on the Ultegra RD but it remains within the published capacity. It might be worth a try at your locall Felt Dealer to verify the function with a 12-30t cassette. That would be the most affordable alternative to get a lower gear range.

One change you'll see on Felt's 2012 models is the use of "performance compact" gearing with more models using the 52/36t chainring size on compact 110mm BCD. This has proven more versatile for many of our consumers. This option will be found on many 2012 Felt models and you'll see it being used from more brands in the industry in 2013.

-SD

#25 · (Edited)
Waiting to hear when the F65x will ship, the last my lbs heard was after New Year's. Any updated info?

Is that a 110 or 130 bolt pattern crankset?

Weights for complete bike available yet?

Thanks
T
The F65x (and all SRAM 'Cross cranks) used 130mm B.C.D. Now (2013 model year) we've been able to get them to make 46t x 36t 110mm BCD rings + BB30 cranks. F65x now uses this custom crankset exclusively created for Felt.
-SD

#23 ·
Colors of an '08 F75?

Hello all,

I am looking at a used Felt F75. It looks to be in excellent condition. The color scheme is the matte black, white lettering and yellow trim. I know colors vary from year to year. He says it's an '08' but I can't find pics of an '08 to try and confirm the model year. Thanks, Bill

#24 ·
Hello all,

I am looking at a used Felt F75. It looks to be in excellent condition. The color scheme is the matte black, white lettering and yellow trim. I know colors vary from year to year. He says it's an '08' but I can't find pics of an '08 to try and confirm the model year. Thanks, Bill
Go to www.bikepedia.com. The photo of the 2007 Felt F75 matches your description. Specifically, BikePedia - 2007 Felt F75 Complete Bicycle . Scroll to bottom of that page to see OEM specs.

#27 ·
Thanks for the reply Dave.

Simon-
Felt's website lists the F65x w/ a S300 BB30, 46/38t. What I find odd is Sram's lack of detail about the S300, no tech info at all and only one pic. And that pic shows a 50/34t 110bcd.

Don't even have the bike yet and I'm already researching upgrades. It's a sickness, I tell ya!

T

#33 ·
Was looking to upgrade to some DEVOX carbon handlebars after the holidays and I am not seeing to much DEVOX parts at all on there will more be coming soon? Also, how does felt measure handlebars, is it center to center? Thank you!

Derek
Suffolk, VA
Our road handlebars are measured C-C.

I don't have any info on when we might be seeing new Devox parts. I'll look into it and post what I can in the near future.

#32 ·
My LBS told me to bring my new ride (Z4) in for a checkup to tighten things up after 500 miles. Ive got about 700 miles on her and everything is still perfect. Shifting, braking, everything is spot on. I take meticulous care of her between rides so it looks as new as the day I brought her home. So my question is is it really a necessity to go see my LBS already? Ive got free maintenance for the first year so that gives me until next October.

#34 ·
Most LBS's will use 500 miles or 30 days as a general guideline. If you don't feel that your bike needs it yet, there should be no problem in waiting, especially if your LBS provides you with 1 yr free service.

On the other hand, it's FREE service, so it can't hurt. Also, it should be noted that shops will generally check things during a tune-up that you may not notice or feel while riding and/or cleaning your bike.

That said, routine and thorough cleaning is one of, if not the, best preventative measure you can take to keep the bike running smoothly and properly.

#35 ·
Z5 adjustable stem question

I am the proud owner of a 2011 Z5 and totally love this bike!

I was playing with the adjustable stem but can't figure out how to make all the 3 available angles. (+/- 5, 10, 15 deg)

The stem was setup at 15 deg. from the LBS

I understand that turning the sleeve half a turn will bring it down to 5 deg but how am I supposed to adjust for 10 deg?

TIA

#37 ·
I am the proud owner of a 2011 Z5 and totally love this bike!

I was playing with the adjustable stem but can't figure out how to make all the 3 available angles. (+/- 5, 10, 15 deg)

The stem was setup at 15 deg. from the LBS

I understand that turning the sleeve half a turn will bring it down to 5 deg but how am I supposed to adjust for 10 deg?

TIA
There is a shim available without an eccentric that simply reduces the inner I.D. to 28.6mm. Of course you've got the headset spacers below the stem to adjust the bar position also.

-SD

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.