Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    38

    Bottom bracket clicking

    Hello,

    I have a new Z5 with about 300 miles on it. On my group ride yesterday I noticed a clicking from the cranks every so often. Today I put the bike on the rollers and within 10 minutes the cranks were clicking at the same point in every revolution that had any pressure at all.

    Any tips on what this may be and what the fix could be? I will be talking to my LBS tomorrow and I'm sure that will take care of it but I would get some opinions on what I could check.

    Chainring bolts are tight and crank arms are tight. I have already checked those.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Cycling induced anoesis
    Reputation: PJ352's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    12,497
    I don't have a reliable, long term fix for you, but FWIW here's a related thread:
    Crank changeout question

  3. #3
    Felt Bicycles
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,037
    Quote Originally Posted by CBS78 View Post
    Hello,

    I have a new Z5 with about 300 miles on it. On my group ride yesterday I noticed a clicking from the cranks every so often. Today I put the bike on the rollers and within 10 minutes the cranks were clicking at the same point in every revolution that had any pressure at all.

    Any tips on what this may be and what the fix could be? I will be talking to my LBS tomorrow and I'm sure that will take care of it but I would get some opinions on what I could check.

    Chainring bolts are tight and crank arms are tight. I have already checked those.

    Thanks!
    Remove everything on the drivetrain, lubricate or prep all surfaces and reassemble to torque spec.

    Dry chainring bolts are often the culprit along with pedal cleats, bodies, and binding mechanism.

    Seatpost clamp and cradle surfaces are another area to check.

    Good luck,
    -SD

  4. #4
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    38
    Thanks for the input everyone. My LBS took good care of me as usual. The removed, relubed, & retorqued the BB and cranks. The noise seems to be gone now. Hopefully it stays that way.

    They did say things seems a little dry in the BB so that was likely the issue. They did confirm/agree the noise was definitly Crank/BB related.

  5. #5
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: chudak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    790
    Quote Originally Posted by CBS78 View Post
    Thanks for the input everyone. My LBS took good care of me as usual. The removed, relubed, & retorqued the BB and cranks. The noise seems to be gone now. Hopefully it stays that way.

    They did say things seems a little dry in the BB so that was likely the issue. They did confirm/agree the noise was definitly Crank/BB related.
    My first Z4 developed a clicking as well. The LBS disassembled the entire BB and loctited in the bearings, which were loose, and relubricated everything. The click came back but in a different form over the next few hundred miles. It became more of a creaking/popping happening twice per pedal stroke versus the single pop I initially had. I was about to take it back into the shop when it got stolen.

    My new Z4 was silent for the first 100 miles then over the next 50 miles progressively got worse until it sounded like a firecracker going off on every pedal stroke and I could hear the click vibrating the sole of my left shoe. Again, they disassembled the BB (they had already loctited in the bearings when they built the bike) and regreased the axle and bearing surfaces and the noise went away.

    After another 70 miles I have my fingers crossed....hopefully that will resolve it permanently. I don't want to have to be taking apart the BB every couple hundred miles. I have to say, the BB30 change was the biggest thing about this new model that worried me and I haven't been disappointed.

    I love everything about this bike except the noise it makes
    2013 Felt Z4 56cm
    1990 Basso Loto 56cm

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: mberthia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    22
    I have a 2012 Z4 with the same clicking noise. I have had the BB disassembled and cleaned at the LBS but it did not last very long. Noise is back, not sure what to do.
    2012 Felt Z4
    Kurt Kinetic Road Machine

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Dray3573's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    174
    2011 Felt F5 (love it), but my clicking noise is re-emerging. On my bike it was coming from the BB. Shop disassembled, lubed, and it was gone for awhile.

  8. #8
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    13
    Unfortunately, this seems to be an issue with the BB30/FSA Gossamer crank combo.

    My 2011 F5 was so bad, my shop had it for a month before sending it in to Felt and had them fix it. So far, so good, but I was without my bike for two months this summer - pretty depressing...

  9. #9
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Dray3573's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    174
    Well I upgraded my crank to SRAM Force, and it still clicks under hard efforts.

  10. #10
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    459
    Apply grease to the crank axle. I threw in a new bottom bracket and had the same issue. When I took it to the shop for a tune up they liberally applied grease and I have had no issues. I am not sure what the interaction is in there that makes the noise, but it works.

    And use a thick grease, not oil like your chain lube.

  11. #11
    Cycling induced anoesis
    Reputation: PJ352's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    12,497
    Quote Originally Posted by bwbishop View Post
    Apply grease to the crank axle. I threw in a new bottom bracket and had the same issue. When I took it to the shop for a tune up they liberally applied grease and I have had no issues. I am not sure what the interaction is in there that makes the noise, but it works.

    And use a thick grease, not oil like your chain lube.
    I wish you luck, but what you describe generally serves as a short term fix, with the clicking returning in fairly short order.

    Sometimes loctiting the bearings in place helps, assuming they're the source of the noise and not the crankset itself.

  12. #12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    3
    F85, same clicking. Started as a click, then made grinding noises like the BB was coming apart inside. Removed left crank and applied teflon grease to the splines, reassembled/torqued, and the noise is gone. Easy enough to do if the sound comes back.

  13. #13
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    7
    F95 here, have the clicking as well
    annoying as hell when riding

  14. #14
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,341
    not necessarily to the op, whose problems seem to have been resolved, but in general,

    be careful chasing noise down in the bracket. the saddle is one of the worst places from which to judge noise coming from the bike. sure it could be in the bracket. could also be the crank, the headset, the fork, or even loose spokes in the wheelset. problem is it could be anything, only a skilled, motivated, and hopefully, warrantied wrench is available to diagnose and repair. otherwise watch out, that's why you have noise, they "fix" it, but then the noise comes back. newsflash. they might not be fixing the problem....

  15. #15
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: chudak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    790
    Quote Originally Posted by easyridernyc View Post
    not necessarily to the op, whose problems seem to have been resolved, but in general,

    be careful chasing noise down in the bracket. the saddle is one of the worst places from which to judge noise coming from the bike. sure it could be in the bracket. could also be the crank, the headset, the fork, or even loose spokes in the wheelset. problem is it could be anything, only a skilled, motivated, and hopefully, warrantied wrench is available to diagnose and repair. otherwise watch out, that's why you have noise, they "fix" it, but then the noise comes back. newsflash. they might not be fixing the problem....
    In my case it's definitely the BB. Everytime the shop has taken apart the BB and put everything back together the noise has disappeared...for about 100 miles and then it has always come back.
    2013 Felt Z4 56cm
    1990 Basso Loto 56cm

  16. #16
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,341
    Quote Originally Posted by chudak View Post
    In my case it's definitely the BB. Everytime the shop has taken apart the BB and put everything back together the noise has disappeared...for about 100 miles and then it has always come back.
    was the bracket the only thing they looked at/repaired?

  17. #17
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: chudak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    790
    Quote Originally Posted by easyridernyc View Post
    was the bracket the only thing they looked at/repaired?
    Yes. Same issue on two brand new bikes in a row.

    Starts clicking. Take BB apart and reassemble. Problem goes away for 100-150 miles and then returns. Rinse, repeat...ad nauseum.

    Last time they replaced the bearings. 100 miles later it's clicking again.
    2013 Felt Z4 56cm
    1990 Basso Loto 56cm

  18. #18
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,341
    Quote Originally Posted by chudak View Post
    Yes. Same issue on two brand new bikes in a row.

    Starts clicking. Take BB apart and reassemble. Problem goes away for 100-150 miles and then returns. Rinse, repeat...ad nauseum.

    Last time they replaced the bearings. 100 miles later it's clicking again.
    then obviously its not repaired.

    bb30? syht...that sucks, man...

  19. #19
    Cycling induced anoesis
    Reputation: PJ352's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    12,497
    Quote Originally Posted by easyridernyc View Post
    be careful chasing noise down in the bracket...
    You make a valid point re: sound traveling through a frame and it's certainly worth a mention, but if you go back and read through the posts, some members are saying that the clicking occurs at the same point in the pedal stroke and sometimes can be felt through the pedals - and/ or there's play evident in the BB assembly/ crankset.

    When (as chudak) states, the crankset/ BB is disassembled, cleaned, lubed and reassembled, all is quiet for a time, then the problem returns.

    I've been following this since around '08 with the introduction of the new Madone. There's a history here and it happens with other brands (Trek, Specialized, IME) as well. Sad to say, but it appears the customer base is being used to field test the OSBB variants, so I'd wait on jumping in until a true reliable standard is established.

  20. #20
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,341
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ352 View Post
    You make a valid point re: sound traveling through a frame and it's certainly worth a mention, but if you go back and read through the posts, some members are saying that the clicking occurs at the same point in the pedal stroke and sometimes can be felt through the pedals - and/ or there's play evident in the BB assembly/ crankset.

    When (as chudak) states, the crankset/ BB is disassembled, cleaned, lubed and reassembled, all is quiet for a time, then the problem returns.

    I've been following this since around '08 with the introduction of the new Madone. There's a history here and it happens with other brands (Trek, Specialized, IME) as well. Sad to say, but it appears the customer base is being used to field test the OSBB variants, so I'd wait on jumping in until a true reliable standard is established.
    so you think there might be system wide design flaws marketed in the cranks? interesting..

  21. #21
    Cycling induced anoesis
    Reputation: PJ352's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    12,497
    Quote Originally Posted by easyridernyc View Post
    so you think there might be system wide design flaws marketed in the cranks? interesting..
    Given that there are number of 'systems' out there (BB86/90, BB30, PF30) that mate to different cranksets (many of which are problematic), I'd say collectively, the OSBB advantages (slight weight loss/ slight increase in stiffness) aren't worth the durability issues that come with it.

    FWIW my Shimano 5600 and 6600 cranksets with Hollowtech ll BB's don't flex and are running as smooth after 17k miles as the day I installed them. That matters more to me than the above stated 'advantages' of OSBB's.

  22. #22
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    27
    My 2013 Z85 is now at the shop for this same issue (clicking/knocking noise coming from, what sounds to be, the bottom bracket). Really hoping they're able to get it sorted. Picking up the bike on Sunday.

  23. #23
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    459
    Turns out my issue was actually with my rear wheel (custom wheel, not the stock one.) Moral of the story is make sure you check for issues through the entire drive train. I could swear that it was the bottom bracket, especially considering the sound happened at almost the same time in the pedal stroke.

  24. #24
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,386
    That's good to hear since I am looking at the new Z5 after selling my Cervelo R3 (sold it to be able to afford both a road bike and a cross bike) and this is the only thing that has given me pause. Did everyone else get their issues solved? I love this frame and feel like it could be competitive against any endurance bike if you upgrade the components over time (so long as there aren't any serious bb issues).
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

  25. #25
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    38
    I have about 500 miles on since mine was disassembled and lubed. So far noise free.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

2015 LIGHTS SHOOTOUT

Hot Deals See All Hot Deals >>

Interbike Featured Booths

Check out the hottest road bike products from these brands!



















See All Interbike Coverage - Click Here »


Latest RoadBike Articles


Latest Videos

RoadbikeReview on Facebook