Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Felt f1 2013

  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    28

    Felt f1 2013

    Does anyone own a felt f1 2012 or 2013?What's the ride like being a sub 14lbs bike?I currently have a felt f3 2011 & its really light & very quick.From what i understand the BB30 shell is carbon like many other makes now to give it its extra lightness.Being a pro tour proven frame i would imagine its quiet strong too..Skil Shimano have proven that in the sprints this year..I'm looking to upgrade to the frame only but i'm a little concerned as i do weigh 82kg + & the frame only weighs 800 grams.I will put my sram red groupset on it off my Felt F3.

  2. #2
    Felt Bicycles
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,029
    Quote Originally Posted by petercaro View Post
    Does anyone own a felt f1 2012 or 2013?What's the ride like being a sub 14lbs bike?I currently have a felt f3 2011 & its really light & very quick.From what i understand the BB30 shell is carbon like many other makes now to give it its extra lightness.Being a pro tour proven frame i would imagine its quiet strong too..Skil Shimano have proven that in the sprints this year..I'm looking to upgrade to the frame only but i'm a little concerned as i do weigh 82kg + & the frame only weighs 800 grams.I will put my sram red groupset on it off my Felt F3.
    I wish I was only 82kg!
    I've ridden the current F1 in 2011 trim and now have a 2013 version. I've logged over 20,000 miles on F1 bicycles over the years and more than 5000 miles on the latest version.

    As for fatigue life and stiffness, both are as good as your F3. The STW is much higher of course. You need to take care not to clamp the frame in a bike stand or car rack. The frame is very thin in the center of the tubes. Even though there are impact diffusing patches in areas known to take abuse, the frames minimalist lay up and gram shaving goals do not leave redundnat material for crashes and excessive point loads. My 58cm frame is 828g or about 100 times lighter than you.

    -SD

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    28
    Great reply SuperdaveFelt.Very informative..I wont be putting the frame in a bike stand or car rack.Thanks
    Last edited by petercaro; 11-29-2012 at 01:41 AM.

  4. #4
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    28
    Excuse my ignorance SuperdaveFelt but what does STW mean?My local bike shop will be building it up for me.Shall i tell them not to put the frame in their bike stand?I think their clamp actually goes on the top tube.
    Last edited by petercaro; 11-29-2012 at 01:50 AM.

  5. #5
    Cycling induced anoesis
    Reputation: PJ352's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    12,490
    Quote Originally Posted by petercaro View Post
    Excuse my ignorance SuperdaveFelt but what does STW mean?My local bike shop will be building it up for me.Shall i tell them not to put the frame in their bike stand?I think their clamp actually goes on the top tube.
    STW = strength to weight ratio

    The specific strength is a material's strength (force per unit area at failure) divided by its density. It is also known as the strength-to-weight ratio or strength/weight ratio.

    And more than you'll ever want to know:
    Specific strength - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Re: your question, your LBS should know that CF bikes should be clamped at the seat post, not the frame, but it wouldn't hurt to relay the recommendation to them.

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    28
    Many thanks PJ.

  7. #7
    Felt Bicycles
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,029
    Quote Originally Posted by petercaro View Post
    Excuse my ignorance SuperdaveFelt but what does STW mean?My local bike shop will be building it up for me.Shall i tell them not to put the frame in their bike stand?I think their clamp actually goes on the top tube.
    Sorry; Stiffness-To-Weight. Most of the analytical magazines rate bikes based on STW instead of just weight or just stiffness.

    Bikes like the Cannondale, Felt, and Specialized all have similar stiffness to weight.

    The Cannondale is not as stiff as the Felt but a few grams lighter
    The Felt is not as stiff as the Specialized SL4 but a few grams lighter
    The Specialized is stiffer than the Cannondale but it doesn't seem to slow Sagan down. We're talking about fractions of a percent and all of the above frames are more than stiff enough for any local P/1/2 dreamers.

    Trek, Giant, Orbea, Pinarello and others are in a different category in terms of STW. They are much lower. I haven't had the latest Giant on our test fixture and their recent promotion of their new TCR, it is possible they are getting better numbers now as they've claimed.

    Yes, do NOT put any part of the frame in a repair stand. The seatpost is designed to be clamped, indeed that is how it stays in place. Clamp the seatpost or use a BB or QR mounted frame stand for assembly.

    -SD

  8. #8
    Cycling induced anoesis
    Reputation: PJ352's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    12,490
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperdaveFelt View Post
    Sorry; Stiffness-To-Weight. Most of the analytical magazines rate bikes based on STW instead of just weight or just stiffness.

    Bikes like the Cannondale, Felt, and Specialized all have similar stiffness to weight.

    The Cannondale is not as stiff as the Felt but a few grams lighter
    The Felt is not as stiff as the Specialized SL4 but a few grams lighter
    The Specialized is stiffer than the Cannondale but it doesn't seem to slow Sagan down. We're talking about fractions of a percent and all of the above frames are more than stiff enough for any local P/1/2 dreamers.

    Trek, Giant, Orbea, Pinarello and others are in a different category in terms of STW. They are much lower. I haven't had the latest Giant on our test fixture and their recent promotion of their new TCR, it is possible they are getting better numbers now as they've claimed.

    Yes, do NOT put any part of the frame in a repair stand. The seatpost is designed to be clamped, indeed that is how it stays in place. Clamp the seatpost or use a BB or QR mounted frame stand for assembly.

    -SD
    I'm curious what your source is for the STW claims made above. In-house testing?

  9. #9
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    28
    Again,thank you PJ & SuperDave for your advice & info.I much appreciate it

  10. #10
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    28
    @Superdavefelt one last question.

    You said the fatigue life on the Felt F1 is as good as the F3.Does that also mean it would be as strong?

  11. #11
    Felt Bicycles
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,029
    Quote Originally Posted by petercaro View Post
    @Superdavefelt one last question.

    You said the fatigue life on the Felt F1 is as good as the F3.Does that also mean it would be as strong?
    No those two metrics are not equal. The point loading, frontal impact i.e. impact strength is well above the EN standard on both frames but the higher modulus material and reduction in the number of carbon fiber plies needed to get the required stiffness means the F1 would require slightly less force to yeild or go beyond its plastic deformation. These are laboratory measurements, not something you can "feel".

    If you hit a parked car at a high rate of speed, it is likely both frames will fail.
    If you drive your car into your garage with your bike on the frame it is likely both frames would fail.

    -SD

  12. #12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    46

    F1 Frameset

    I am just about to pull the trigger on a 2013 F1 frameset.....who's got pictures

  13. #13
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    28
    Thanks for replying SuperdaveFelt,

    I pulled the trigger on getting the 2013 F1 today at a discounted price from a shop in Scotland.I put a deposit down & should have it in march

  14. #14
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    186
    Don't have a pic of the 2013 F1 but, I do have a pic of my 2013 Fc - LOVE IT!!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Felt f1 2013-img_0982.jpg  

  15. #15
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    457

    Re: Felt f1 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by PJ352 View Post
    I'm curious what your source is for the STW claims made above. In-house testing?
    He was said "haven't had it in our test fixture" so it sounds like in house comparative testing.

  16. #16
    Cycling induced anoesis
    Reputation: PJ352's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    12,490
    Quote Originally Posted by bwbishop View Post
    He was said "haven't had it in our test fixture" so it sounds like in house comparative testing.
    I'd agree. I was posing the question more as affirmation...

  17. #17
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    2
    Thats a huge drop!

  18. #18
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    186
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilBuck View Post
    Thats a huge drop!
    Yeah!! Went from 61cm S Works to the 58cm Felt. Big drop but, it feels good!!

  19. #19
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1
    I have a 2012 F1, I think at 82kg you will do fine. I have Sram Red on my F1 also. I built it up to weigh 11.1 pounds no pedals using some goodies. Race ready she is 13.2 pounds. Super nice ride and snappy quick. Compared to my Trek 5.5, Fuji SST and BH G-5 the F1 is my best bike ever!! Cat 2 rider, LAMBRA Cat 3 Road champion at 50 years old. I weigh 71 kg.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

2015 LIGHTS SHOOTOUT

Hot Deals See All Hot Deals >>

Interbike Featured Booths

Check out the hottest road bike products from these brands!



















See All Interbike Coverage - Click Here »


Latest RoadBike Articles


Latest Videos

RoadbikeReview on Facebook