RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2010

Felt Z4 Disc as an allround bike

Hi All,

I currenly ride a Giant Propel which I do like although I'm not the fastest rider (or ever will be).
    When I look at my needs it would be hepfull if I would/could own an additional bike for more longer adventures (with the tiny bit of gravel riding included) in greater comfort. But at the same time I need a roadbike which is capable to do some races, grand fondos and to do the trainings on ( I don't need to win, just following and finishing is enough). Also I would like to hook up a trailer for my dogs or kid (the latter TBA :-) )
    So my first idea was to buy a gravel racer en to keep my Propel. But knowing space is limited, a one bike solution would be helpfull (next to the mountainbike I own). That is where the Z4 enters, I just came across a good deal for a new 2015 Z4 disc (grey colour) for 1499 euro.
    Looking at the numbers, this could be the "one" bike.
    Because I'm not sure, I would like to have your opinion wheather or not the Z4 could fullfill my needs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    I'm not specifically familiar with the Z4, but looking at it, there is no reason it shouldn't make a great all around bike. Just make sure that it meets your needs. A few things to think about (I'm sure others will have suggestions too).

* Tire clearance. Will the tires you want to use for gravel grinding fit? 32mm? 40mm? Brake clearance wont be an issue, but fork and chainstay clearance might be. Take a close look at this (don't always trust the specs you read online - a different wheel or tire brand can change this spec significantly).

* Towing trailers with carbon bikes can be a bit sketchy. You'll need to consider how it attaches, and make sure the hardware won't damage the carbon frame/seatpost, etc...

* If you are intending to do any cross country or overnight touring, or commuting to work with a laptop, etc... you might want to find something that will accommodate racks and panniers. Otherwise a saddle bag and backpack will have to suffice.

Then there is the standard advice. Make sure it is the right size and you enjoy riding it. Nothing worse than paying a lot of money for a bike that sits in the garage because it's too big/small/long/short/stiff/floppy/ugly, etc...

Don't get too caught up in the bits and pieces. You can always change out drivetrain and cockpit components as needed to suit your needs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    I have a Z5 I use for centuries, weekend road rides and sunny commutes. I wouldn't want it as my only bike. The "Z" bikes are a skinny tire carbon road bike. There are no mount points for a rack.

You might be thinking of the "V" series which is the Felt gravel bike. I checked one out at the store and it looked pretty nice. You can fit fatter tires and fenders on it too. It's not terribly heavy either.