RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012

New FR and VR Models

The F and Z are history. In their place are the FR and VR. The pictures look amazing. The VR with 35mm tires, climbing cranks and fenders is one of the coolest new releases I've seen in a long time. I'm definitely looking at that one when it's available.

Felt gives shape to their future with all-new FR road and VR gravel bikes - Bikerumor

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Peloton Magazine has all of the prices for the FR lineup:

Need for Speed: Felt Introduces the FR - Peloton Magazine

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2014
    Interesting that they increased the stack length so much on the FR over the F. It should pretty much match the geometry of the AR now.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cobra_kai View Post
    Interesting that they increased the stack length so much on the FR over the F. It should pretty much match the geometry of the AR now.
    Yeah, I really like the changes to be honest. It's probably my favorite bike this year thus far (I also give a thumbs up to the BMC Road Machine and Supersix Evo Disc. I am also interested in seeing what Specialized does with the new Roubaix and Tarmac Disc).
    Last edited by Rashadabd; 08-02-2016 at 05:02 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by cobra_kai View Post
    They said that the F was to twitchy for non-pro racers. I read somewhere that F sales kept dropping while Z sales kept growing so it makes sense to put some stability into the race bikes. The pictures look amazing. Best paint of any new bikes that I've seen so far. The VR is more for me but that FR really looks great

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Actual weights:

2017 Felt FR road bikes - specs, pricing, actual weights & first rides - Bikerumor

I think I have actually developed a crush on the FR Disc at this point...

Forever a Student
    No aero shapes at all because aero shapes lack stiffness and are too heavy...

Well what about the Cervelo RCA or R5? Do they have a patent on the squoval shape? If so he got around his own patent with squareo or whatever it is now with 3T.

Doesn't make sense to me, sounds more like they either don't have the chops to do proper aerodynamic shapes or they're straight up lying about it.

And again with the brake under the chainstays? Are they really that dumb? Are they deaf to feedback from the public and pros? And no direct mount front brake?

I'm just not buying their cutting edge nonsense here. We all know that good braking and aerodynamics don't count for **** right?
    use a torque wrench

3T Cycling
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MMsRepBike View Post
    Well what about the Cervelo RCA or R5? Do they have a patent on the squoval shape? If so he got around his own patent with squareo or whatever it is now with 3T.
    Doesn't make sense to me, sounds more like they either don't have the chops to do proper aerodynamic shapes or they're straight up lying about it.
    And again with the brake under the chainstays? Are they really that dumb? Are they deaf to feedback from the public and pros? And no direct mount front brake?
    I'm just not buying their cutting edge nonsense here. We all know that good braking and aerodynamics don't count for **** right?
    You're comparing an RCA with a Felt FR2?

Don't have the chops? Have you seen the drag data on AR and IA?

I'm not very smart but I know putting the Shimano direct mount brakes on the chainstays allows for a lighter, more compliant frame. A Direct Mount front brake does the EXACT opposite for the fork.

You may be surprised to learn that aesthetics play an important role in sales and many consumers shy away from "aero" thus the need for a more traditional shape on the frame tubes. You may also be surprised to learn that bikes like the old Scott Foil which claimed to be aero, were actually no better than bikes like the Felt F1 or SuperSixEVO once outfitted with parts and humans.

Can you tell me the last time a UCI World Championship in the Time Trial was won on a bike with brakes NOT on the chainstays?

Who in your opinion makes the best "Stiffness-to-weight" focused frame available today?
    Who makes the best "Stiffness-to-weight" bike for $3000, $5000?

-SD

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011

Uh... you do realize that they make both the AR and the IA, two of the most aero platforms out there??? It's different horses for different courses really and the claims that are made about the impact that aerodynamic frames have is hype to a large degree man. A bike doesn't have to have aero tubing to be good/relevant/fast. It is no coincidence that the Giant TCR, new Cannondale Supersix Evo, Trek Emonda, Fuji SL, and the vast majority of GC/climbing bikes have eschewed aero tubing in favor of more traditional tube shapes because any value they would add (minimal) is outweighed by the negative impact that would accompany going that route. Felt's not dumb, they are actually one of the best in the game and I am not a lovestruck fanboy by any stretch. They have a great aero bike and the FR is not meant to be a carbon copy, it's an all around GC/climbing bike of the highest order and if you use that standard to evaluate the FR, I personally don't see how you can argue that it isn't a home run on many levels. I am also not a huge fan of rear brakes tucked behind the bb, but that is offset for me by the inclusion of three disc brake equipped models in the lineup. More on Felt:

Six reasons why Felt is making some of the world?s best bikes | VeloNews.com
    Last edited by Rashadabd; 08-02-2016 at 09:50 AM.

Forever a Student
    Quote Originally Posted by Superdave3T View Post
    You're comparing an RCA with a Felt FR2?

Don't have the chops? Have you seen the drag data on AR and IA?

I'm not very smart but I know putting the Shimano direct mount brakes on the chainstays allows for a lighter, more compliant frame. A Direct Mount front brake does the EXACT opposite for the fork.

You may be surprised to learn that aesthetics play an important role in sales and many consumers shy away from "aero" thus the need for a more traditional shape on the frame tubes. You may also be surprised to learn that bikes like the old Scott Foil which claimed to be aero, were actually no better than bikes like the Felt F1 or SuperSixEVO once outfitted with parts and humans.

Can you tell me the last time a UCI World Championship in the Time Trial was won on a bike with brakes NOT on the chainstays?

Who in your opinion makes the best "Stiffness-to-weight" focused frame available today?
    Who makes the best "Stiffness-to-weight" bike for $3000, $5000?

-SD

Yes, of course I'm comparing the RCA/R5 to this new climbing/GC bike from Felt...

We're not talking about the AR or any other platform, we're talking about this bike. They said they can't make aero shapes and still have it be light and stiff. Other companies can though. So that sounds like they don't have the chops to me. They said this bike was purely about weight and stiffness, nothing else. Shortsighted? In my opinion absolutely. Compare this "long term project" of theirs with the "project California." You will find many similarities but you won't find cut corners by Cervelo.

The current UCI TT world champion rides a bike with NO chainstay brakes. Do yourself a favor and google the Pinarello Bolide. You'll find a threaded bottom bracket too to boot. And is this a TT bike? I thought it was a climbing/GC bike. So what do TT bikes have to do with this? If a TT bike has to make an aerodynamic compromise and therefore put the brake under the chainstay... and if this Felt bike has zero aerodynamic ambitions... Do a little reading up from those that own these brakes on these type of bikes, look up the old Madone, then come tell me it's a good idea.

Who cares what I think about who's the "best" at stiffness to weight. That's not even the most important part of a bike to me. Felt obviously made several compromises to get the stiffness/weight ratio they wanted on this bike. They compromised the tube shapes and they compromised the brakes for it. It's up to the buyer to decide if those compromises are worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rashadabd View Post
    Uh... you do realize that they make both the AR and the DA, two of the most aero platforms out there??? It's different horses for different courses really and the claims that are made about the impact that aerodynamic frames have is hype to a large degree man. A bike doesn't have to have aero tubing to be good/relevant/fast. It is no coincidence that the Giant TCR, new Cannondale Supersix Evo, Trek Emonda, Fuji SL, and the vast majority of GC/climbing bikes have eschewed aero tubing in favor of more traditional tube shapes because any value it would add (minimal) is outweighed by the negative impact that would accompany going that route. Felt's not dumb, they are actually one of the best in the game and I am not a lovestruck fanboy by any stretch. They have a great aero bike and the FR is not meant to be a carbon copy, it's an all around GC/climbing bike of the highest order and if you use that standard to evaluate the FR, I personally don't see how you can argue that it isn't a home run on many levels. I am also not a huge fan of rear brakes tucked behind the bb, but that is offset for me by the inclusion of three disc brake equipped models in the lineup. More on Felt:

Six reasons why Felt is making some of the world?s best bikes | VeloNews.com
    A bike can be fast without aerodynamics built into the frame, yes of course. But this is 2016... you really believe them that they can't do it? You really believe that a stiff bike can't be aerodynamic. If so the RCA couldn't exist.

Outside of it having a high stiffness to weight ratio, where is it a home run? On many levels huh? Where? Aero? nope. Good brakes? nope. What's left? Geometry has nothing to do with this discussion so that's out. You say it's okay because they have disc brake options... what?
    Last edited by MMsRepBike; 08-02-2016 at 10:10 AM.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Yes, of course I'm comparing the RCA/R5 to this new climbing/GC bike from Felt...

We're not talking about the AR or any other platform, we're talking about this bike. They said they can't make aero shapes and still have it be light and stiff. Other companies can though. So that sounds like they don't have the chops to me. They said this bike was purely about weight and stiffness, nothing else. Shortsighted? In my opinion absolutely. Compare this "long term project" of theirs with the "project California." You will find many similarities but you won't find cut corners by Cervelo.

Is this a TT bike? I thought it was a climbing/GC bike. So what do TT bikes have to do with this? If a TT bike has to make an aerodynamic compromise and therefore put the brake under the chainstay... and if this Felt bike has zero aerodynamic ambitions... Do a little reading up from those that own these brakes on these type of bikes, look up the old Madone, then come tell me it's a good idea.

Who cares what I think about who's the "best" at stiffness to weight. That's not even the most important part of a bike to me. Felt obviously made several compromises to get the stiffness/weight ratio they wanted on this bike. They compromised the tube shapes and they compromised the brakes for it. It's up to the buyer to decide if those compromises are worth it.

A bike can be fast without aerodynamics built into the frame, yes of course. But this is 2016... you really believe them that they can't do it? You really believe that a stiff bike can't be aerodynamic. If so the RCA couldn't exist.

Outside of it having a high stiffness to weight ratio, where is it a home run? On many levels huh? Where? Aero? nope. Good brakes? nope. What's left? Geometry has nothing to do with this discussion so that's out. You say it's okay because they have disc brake options... what?
    You keep referencing the Cervelo bikes like they are some untouchable gold standard, they are great, but they have their pros and cons like every other bike and I used to own an R3. The home run reference begins with the carbon layup which is one of the best, if not the best, in the entire industry. From there, they took a super stiff race bike and made it more comfortable for the every day rider. Something that only Cannondale has really matched them in from what I hear. Next, they already had lights out handling and they kept that, but made it less twitchy and to add icing to the cake, they are offering discs on a pure race platform, throwing in a power meter on the higher end models, and it is one of the lightest race bikes out there with what sounds like some of the better stiffness to weight numbers. What more do you want? Do you just need to read the word aero somewhere or do you only like bikes with Cervelo labels?

None of the bikes I mentioned above have true aero tube shapes, but they are all considered the best all around/GC frames on the planet for the most part (you can add the Specialized Tarmac and Focus Izalco Max to that list for good measure). You are looking for a factor in a range where it's just not that relevant. Nobody but you is seriously suggesting that R5 is superior to those other bikes. So, what is your point? Moreoever, my guess is that the R Series isn't all that aero and not significantly more aero (in any way that is meaningful on an actual ride) than any of the other bikes I have referenced.

To answer your other question, I believe that Felt could have went in any number of directions, but made other features their priority and I like the calls they made on this model. To each his own though....
    Last edited by Rashadabd; 08-02-2016 at 10:21 AM.

Forever a Student
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashadabd View Post
    You keep referencing the Cervelo bikes like they are some untouchable gold standard, they are great, but they have their pros and cons like every other bike and I used to own an R3. The home run reference begins with the carbon layup which is one of the best, if not the best, in the entire industry. From there, they took a super stiff race bike and made it more comfortable for the every day rider. Something that only Cannondale has really matched them in from what I hear. Next, they already had lights out handling and they kept that, but made it less twitchy and to add icing to the cake, they are offering discs on a pure race platform, throwing in a power meter on the higher end models, and it is one of the lightest race bikes out there with what sounds like some of the better stiffness to weight numbers. What more do you want? Do you just need to read the word aero somewhere or do you only like bikes with Cervelo labels?

None of the bikes I mentioned above have true aero tube shapes, but they are all considered the best all around/GC frames on the planet for the most part (you can add the Specialized Tarmac and Focus Izalco Max to that list for good measure). You are looking for a factor in a range where it's just not that relevant. Nobody but you is seriously suggesting that R5 is superior to those other bikes. So, what is your point? Moreoever, my guess is that the R Series isn't all that aero and not significantly more aero (in any way that is meaningful on an actual ride) than any of the other bikes I have referenced.

To answer your other question, I believe that Felt could have went in any number of directions, but made other features their priority and I like the calls they made on this model. To each his own though....
    The layup is the best? You're just reading and spitting out kool-aid now.

Only the Cannondale is a comfortable race bike? The RCA in question has a sloping top tube with a 27.2 post and dropped stays. Let me tell you from experience it's quite comfortable.

Discs as an advantage... yeah, to you maybe.

Including a power meter in the stock bike... that means nothing. I don't want a Pioneer unit anyway. I'm not keen on a frame manufacturer forcing me into a certain power meter.

What more do I want? Less bullshit to start.

MY point is simple, and using the RCA/R5 as a comparison is simple. It has nothing to do with Cervelo or their brand or anything. It has everything to do with it being a bike that Felt is saying is basically impossible. Internal cabling requires extra weight they say. Can't have aero tubes or it's either too heavy or too soft. If I were to believe Felt, the RCA must be a complete noodle. It obviously is not.

I pick the RCA/R5 because it is a perfect real world example that goes against all of their claims. You CAN have aero tubes, you CAN have traditional brakes, you CAN have it all and still be ultra lightweight and super stiff and comfortable and have precise race handling and "endurance" comfort. It's been on the market for many years now. By now companies should be one upping it or three upping it. Not saying it's not possible.

You don't think the R5/RCA is very aerodynamic? Hahaha. Go check out Tour magazine.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011

Only the Cannondale is a comfortable race bike? The RCA in question has a sloping top tube with a 27.2 post and dropped stays. Let me tell you from experience it's quite comfortable.

Including a power meter in the stock bike... that means nothing. I don't want a Pioneer unit anyway. I'm not keen on a frame manufacturer forcing me into a certain power meter.

MY point is simple, and using the RCA/R5 as a comparison is simple. It has nothing to do with Cervelo or their brand or anything. It has everything to do with it being a bike that Felt is saying is basically impossible. Internal cabling requires extra weight they say. Can't have aero tubes or it's either too heavy or too soft. If I were to believe Felt, the RCA must be a complete noodle. It obviously is not.

I pick the RCA/R5 because it is a perfect real world example that goes against all of their claims. You CAN have aero tubes, you CAN have traditional brakes, you CAN have it all and still be ultra lightweight and super stiff and comfortable and have precise race handling and "endurance" comfort. It's been on the market for many years now. By now companies should be one upping it or three upping it. Not saying it's not possible.

You don't think the R5/RCA is very aerodynamic? Hahaha. Go check out Tour magazine.
    Refute what I said about their layup if it is fiction. To state things is simple. I don't think Felt is saying anything you are mentioning is impossible. Again, it's about priorities and Focus, Wilier, Cannondale, and Felt have reached the conclusion that internal cable routing is overrated for lightweight stiffness to weight climbing bikes. You and Cervelo may feel different and that's fine. Your whole argument is based on the premise that the Cervelo R Series is without flaws/downside and the unblemished standard and I simply don't agree with that. Is it a really nice bike, sure, but I know that each of these bikes is a great platform for the most part and that each has strengths and weaknesses. I like what Felt has done and the choices they made here. I also like other bikes (including a number of the ones I listed above). If you think the Cervelo R is the end all be all, that's cool too.
    Last edited by Rashadabd; 08-02-2016 at 11:50 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011

FWIW, you also keep avoiding this reality, but bygones:

None of the bikes I mentioned above have true aero tube shapes, but they are all considered the best all around/GC frames on the planet for the most part (you can add the Specialized Tarmac and Focus Izalco Max to that list for good measure).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    In their own words:

Last edited by Rashadabd; 08-03-2016 at 06:34 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I will take either one of these, right after I sell the Tarmac. I like the F series so a test ride is in order for comparison though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New FR and VR Models-felt_2017_fr5_red.jpg   New FR and VR Models-felt_2017_fr30_red.jpg  
    Last edited by FeltF75rider; 08-03-2016 at 09:50 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    A good discussion on Felt's business and the new VR:

When Fun Is the Goal | RKP

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Travis McCabe took the win on his Felt FR today in the Tour of Utah:

McCabe sprints to Holowesko's second Utah win | VeloNews.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Without an aero bike? In 2016? Apparently stiff and light weight works. Maybe with a Venge and all the right gear he could have won by 5 minutes.

When do these new Felts hit the dealer, I am itching for a test ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2014
    I'm not sure where this will leave me next time I need a bike. I liked riding the F series, but my back hurt after 20 odd miles... the Z series is perfect, after changing the crankset to 52/36.

It seems Felt have mover the FR towards me a little, and the VR away from me on the other side (before even considering the subcompact gearing, which I guess could be changed). I have a nasty feeling that my personal sweet spot may have been left behind...

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    Better half has a Z now that she loves except that she would like the option to put on a wider tire. VR2 on order for her. Seems like exactly what she wanted.

Menace
    I am all in on a VR2 this winter. I bought a 2016 AR2 over summer and it will do double duty as my road and tri bike with different setups.
    I sold my Z4 (too small) and will replace it with the VR2 for a good ride on the bad roads and trails around here. Dont want to tear up my AR2, which is one hell of a sweet ride.
    Just need to sell my B-12 (2013) now. Its upgraded to DI2 if anyone is interested.
    2016 Felt AR2
    2013 Felt B12, DI2 (Ultegra)
    2015 Scott Scale 770 MTB
    2010 HD Road Glide Custom