Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

Stages Compatibility w/ AR5 Rear Brake

I've heard the Madone has problems w/ the Stages unit hitting the brake.

Does the AR5 have the same problem (2014)? I'm looking to get a 105 Stages.

EDIT FOR ALL:
    When Superdave says TRP 750r, I think he means Tektro 750r. I was initially confused b/c TRP doesn't offer a direct mount much less a 750r. Tektro does have a direct mount which looks pretty slim.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013
    I only see the list for 2013 and AR series is ok....

as for the madone it's the 5-6-7 series.. the DuraAce 9010 is a no-go. Bummer for me since I got one... guess I will be using the DA front and the Bontrager rear (front brake more important anyways).. I'm waiting for my 9000 Crankset from stages right now.
    Last edited by spdntrxi; 04-20-2014 at 08:52 PM.

3T Cycling
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by TehYoyo View Post
    I've heard the Madone has problems w/ the Stages unit hitting the brake.

Does the AR5 have the same problem (2014)? I'm looking to get a 105 Stages.
    I'm running a Stages PM on my AR1 (same mold as your AR5) using the TRP T750 rear brake. You can also get an eecycleworks rear brake for direct mount that will fit. I'm planning to get one installed just as soon as I can upgrade to the AR FRD frameset.

-SD

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperdaveFelt View Post
    I'm running a Stages PM on my AR1 (same mold as your AR5) using the TRP T750 rear brake. You can also get an eecycleworks rear brake for direct mount that will fit. I'm planning to get one installed just as soon as I can upgrade to the AR FRD frameset.

-SD
    So I need a different brake?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013
    I'd like to try this T750R on my madone... where can I find this thing.. not much showing anywhere.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013
    ordered... had to use a different browser... was not loading teak's purchase page correctly.

They will go on the Madone with Stages PM... hope they work... really sad about the DA brake..

3T Cycling
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by spdntrxi View Post
    ordered... had to use a different browser... was not loading teak's purchase page correctly.

They will go on the Madone with Stages PM... hope they work... really sad about the DA brake..
    Not sure about that. I think the Madone doesn't have clearance for the PM because of the frame, not the brake. Trek uses a proprietary ~90mm bottom bracket which does not leave enough room between the crank arm and chainstay IIRC. Admittedly I'm not quite as versed on the Treks as I am the Felts.

-SD

3T Cycling
    May 2009
    So I need a different brake?
    Or a different power meter. Shimano did not anticipate that anyone would use anything but a Shimano crankset with their brakes.

-SD

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013
    Not sure about that. I think the Madone doesn't have clearance for the PM because of the frame, not the brake. Trek uses a proprietary ~90mm bottom bracket which does not leave enough room between the crank arm and chainstay IIRC. Admittedly I'm not quite as versed on the Treks as I am the Felts.

-SD
    Maybe the madone seven is different.. but for the 2014 Six Madone.. it's the brakes..

* Stock Bontrager.. tight fit but it should work.. but new arms from shimano (6800/9000) make it a tighter fit then older ones according to Stages.. don't know about 105 kit. The BR-9010 Aero brakes is a no go for sure.(the cable pull is the issue, sticks out a bit) .. LBS and Stages agreed on that. Stages told me about the Tektro T750R and that it might work..so they are already on the way and hopefully my crankset will be shipping from stages soon. I told the TS that is she could help rush my crankset, I will report back the T750R findings.

YB1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    I finally rode my AR FRD today, amazing bike! But are you saying the EE brake comes in a direct mount version, because just looking at the website it isn't shown. Also can you buy the brake as a single, because $600+ makes the TRP look good.

-SD

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by YB1 View Post
    I finally rode my AR FRD today, amazing bike! But are you saying the EE brake comes in a direct mount version, because just looking at the website it isn't shown. Also can you buy the brake as a single, because $600+ makes the TRP look good.
    was wondering if F/R are the same... if so maybe you could split it with someone... I might be interested in the TRP's don't pan out. Doing everything to avoid the bontragers for some reason..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Or a different power meter. Shimano did not anticipate that anyone would use anything but a Shimano crankset with their brakes.

-SD
    Sorry, super confused atm. If I put on a Shimano crankset (vs. stock FSA Omega), I can use the STages power meter w/ the stock Shimano 105 Direct Mount that came with my AR5?

3T Cycling
    May 2009
    Sorry, super confused atm. If I put on a Shimano crankset (vs. stock FSA Omega), I can use the STages power meter w/ the stock Shimano 105 Direct Mount that came with my AR5?
    No, you cannot. The stages powermeter will hit the Shimano cable anchor bolt.

-Dave

RoadBikeReview Member
    No, you cannot. The stages powermeter will hit the Shimano cable anchor bolt.

-Dave
    That's pretty disappointing.

3T Cycling
    May 2009
    That's pretty disappointing.
    Agreed. OTOH, there are solutions.
    -SD

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013
    now I know I don't have a felt... but I got my Tektro T750R in today and test fitted on the madone frame... and there is not a peep of visible brake under the chain stays on the madone six... even the stock bontrager show a bit. Depending on how the cable bends ? but I got to believe this is going to allow me do use the Stages PM with no issues... Once all my parts are in.. hopefully <2wks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    is this an issue with any Shimano crank w/ Stages PM and the stock AR5 brake or only certain models? Just picked up my new AR5 last night that has already been modded before riding. I moved the first gen DA Di2 from my Z2 over to the AR5 so I would be looking at a Stages version of that crank arm - no PM yet, just thinking about it

3T Cycling
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dbf73 View Post
    is this an issue with any Shimano crank w/ Stages PM and the stock AR5 brake or only certain models? Just picked up my new AR5 last night that has already been modded before riding. I moved the first gen DA Di2 from my Z2 over to the AR5 so I would be looking at a Stages version of that crank arm - no PM yet, just thinking about it
    The Shimano Direct Mount rear brake does not clear the Stages PM.
    If you want to run a Stages PM, you'll need to use a different rear brake. There are two options currently available: The TRP/Tektro T750 and eecycleworks' direct mount.

There are many more brake in development that will also work which should hit the market shortly before/after Eurobike and Interbike.

-Dave

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    thanks Dave - going home and looking at the crank and rear brake with that in mind made it clear what the problem is.

YB1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    I tried the T750 on my AR because I'd decided to run a Stages but the brake was nowhere near as good as the DA brake it came with. I'm going to wait and see if the EEcycleworks brake comes along. I'm also thinking maybe Powertap is really worth considering.

RoadBikeReview Member
    What about the Pioneer power meter?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by spdntrxi View Post
    now I know I don't have a felt... but I got my Tektro T750R in today and test fitted on the madone frame... and there is not a peep of visible brake under the chain stays on the madone six... even the stock bontrager show a bit. Depending on how the cable bends ? but I got to believe this is going to allow me do use the Stages PM with no issues... Once all my parts are in.. hopefully <2wks.
    Hi, have you got any photos of the T750R mounted on your Madone? I'm running camag EPS and keen to get rid of the Bontrager Brakes. The problem is the carbon crank arms are v fat and have clearance issues, plus I've got the EPS battery on the BB mount so it's all very tight for space. Thanks Matt

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2014

Tektro versus eecycleworks rear brake

I have a Stages Powermeter on my 2014 Felt AR2, which
    required the Tektro (750 I believe) rear brake. This brake
    is extremely weak (esp. compared to a standard Shimano
    Ultegra rear brake mounted on the seat stay). Has anyone
    replaced the Tektro brake with the eecycleworks brake?
    Does the eecycleworks offer significantly improved stopping
    compared to the Tektro? I've read reviews that tout the
    eecycleworks as excellent brakes but would like to hear
    from people who have experience with both brakes.
    Thanks!!

Last edited by joeiphd; 07-23-2014 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Not sure if this is the right place for my question.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013
    The EE direct mount is due in August.. not sure if it's early/mid or late august but Craig is close...so he tells me. I'll be ordering one for sure. Using the Tektro , but don't agree it's extremely weak. However I don't like the level feel compared to the DA front.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2014
    Thank you spdntrixi! I am curious to hear about your experience with the two brakes!! Please post a note about a comparison riding with the Tektro versus the eecycleworks. The eecyclworks brakes are pricey and wanted to hear from people before I plop down the $

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast